The Student Room Group

The TSR Pokémon Society III

Scroll to see replies

That leak is consistent with the most recent pokebeach leak, so I am inclined to believe it is true.
Original post by R.J. Omega
True, but just look at the artistry :coma:

That's not even including these bad boys:

I had the chance to get one of the Pikachu XLs for something like £130 back in May and for some stupid reason passed it up :facepalm2:
Also, am I missing something or do those XLs come with no way of charging them?
Reply 1983
Original post by DJMayes
So guys, a couple of new things today:

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
That is indeed true, but they use the same charger as the 3DS and the DSi, so I'm guessing they're counting on you having one of those chargers already.
Original post by R.J. Omega
That is indeed true, but they use the same charger as the 3DS and the DSi, so I'm guessing they're counting on you having one of those chargers already.

Gah, and here I am slumming it with a DS Lite :ahee: I'll probably end up heading down to CEX and seeing how cheap I can pick up a 3DS of some sort on the day of release if nothing decent comes up in the next couple of weeks.

---

In other news, I've been having a surprising amount of success on PS! with a Swift Swim+Belly Drum Poliwrath in RU, Liepard makes setting rain and getting a free turn ridiculously easy, and there's only a tiny handful of stuff that can survive a Waterfall.
Reply 1986
That sounds vicious. CB Entei is surprisingly common though :redface:

EDIT: Just realised it doesn't 2HKO with Espeed :K:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Exon
That sounds vicious. CB Entei is surprisingly common though :redface:

It doesn't tend to be an issue, Poliwrath's a bulky chap, CB Entei does an absolute max of 50% and I run Sitrus Berry which pretty much guarantees Scarf Galvantula is the only thing with a cat-in-hell's chance of reveng killing :yep:
Fennekin's evolution line sucks, yep Froakie it is.
Reply 1989
It seems like you have thought this through well. If you can get a BD without taking damage it's probably over. However there are quite a few pokemon that can handle it.

Alomomola can attempt to stall out the rain by a combination of switching out, wish and protect. It doesn't see much use in RU though.

Fast scarfers like Manetric, Galvantula and Sceptile might outspeed you depending on your nature. However, the latter two are rare.

Sashed and sturdy pokemon (as well as Shedinja) are ruined by hazards. They can revenge kill if there aren't any up though.

Provided that Poliwrath isn't behind a substitute, prankster thunder waves from Liepard can stop a sweep in its tracks.

A few bulky grass types like exeggutor and eviolite tangela can take a hit and KO back.

Frillish completely walls most poliwrath. A super effective HP does a pittance and no one runs payback. It's rare though.

Physically defensive Quagsire walls poliwrath as well unless you run HP Grass.

That looks bad but it's actually relatively short :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
The evolutions are fake according to various posts on Serebii.
Original post by Exon
It seems like you have thought this through well. If you can get a BD without taking damage it's probably over. However there are quite a few pokemon that can handle it.

Alomomola can attempt to stall out the rain by a combination of switching out, wish and protect. It doesn't see much use in RU though.

Fast scarfers like Manetric, Galvantula and Sceptile might outspeed you depending on your nature. However, the latter two are rare.

Sashed and sturdy pokemon (as well as Shedinja) are ruined by hazards. They can revenge kill if there aren't any up though.

Provided that Poliwrath isn't behind a substitute, prankster thunder waves from Liepard can stop a sweep in its tracks.

A few bulky grass types like exeggutor and eviolite tangela can take a hit and KO back.

Frillish completely walls most poliwrath. A super effective HP does a pittance and no one runs payback. It's rare though.

Physically defensive Quagsire walls poliwrath as well unless you run HP Grass.

That looks bad but it's actually relatively short :tongue:

*I have never run into an Alomomola yet, but yeah, it could Wish stall. I run Hypnosis in the last slot, which would allow me to disable and 2HKO it, but that would eat up a large chunk of the seven turns of rain I get from Liepard, but luckily Sitrus can facilitate a second later game sweep once any counters have been removed.
*Galvantula, as mentioned, is probably the most common thing I run into that outright stops Poli. Scarf Manectric actually isn't guaranteed a KO with Volt Switch if it runs Timid (TBolt is only slashed in on the standard set) and gets outsped if it's modest. Nobody runs Scarf Sceptile anymore in my experience now that Unburden is infinitely more flexible, so Fake Out versions signal an immediate retreat but anything else is outsped and KO'd.
*I'm pretty covered against virtually every available Sturdy user, none of the RU users come close to KOing after Sitrus (Unless you count Magneton, who runs something else over 90% of the time), and the only NU threats are Sawk (who I can immediately identify if Mold Breaker isn't announced) and Sudowoodo (lol), and a couple of Explosion users. Sash users are a pain, but that's what the rest of the team is for :ahee:
*Liepard and Whimsicott are evil buggers, and if I see them I will never lead off with a setup attempt. The team as a whole can deal with them, however it does rob the early momentum I really like getting from even a partial BD sweep.
*Everything from Amoongus downward is OHKO'd by Waterfall in the Rain :smile: That pretty much leaves Tangrowth as a direct threat, and in order to avoid the Waterfall KO it needs to run enough defensive EVs to remove its own chances of KO'ing me with Giga Drain- either we both OHKO, in which case I win, or neither of us do, in which case I win :ahee:
*Frillish does indeed wall me, however like Alomomola I've yet to encounter one.
*Quagsire is a pain, but again is very rare

I definitely agree that there's stuff that causes major issues to the strategy, but in the current meta they're all either rare enough to not need massive amounts of accommodation or well enough handled by my team to simply change from an early game sweep to a late one. I haven't broken through the 1,700s yet so it's by no means a godly team, but it's doing surprisingly well considering how unviable we're all told Belly Drum is :h:
I now have a chatot which I got from online trading, he wanted a Kababra for it. Chatot is pretty dwerpy so far, chatter is weird attack.
Reply 1993
You fool! Floating around for like £250+ now or something?

Original DS here buddy. I'm so old fashioned it hurts...
Original post by Slumpy
You fool! Floating around for like £250+ now or something?

Original DS here buddy. I'm so old fashioned it hurts...

At least that much, I've seen them go for £300 :erm:
Reply 1995
Jeez. I don't think I can justify to myself buying one for that...still, the red and blue ones look pretty sweet!
Original post by Slumpy
Jeez. I don't think I can justify to myself buying one for that...still, the red and blue ones look pretty sweet!

They do, but I can't bring myself to pay that much considering I don't know how often I'll use it past Pokemon, although there are a fair few games in the back catalogue that could make it a worthwhile purchase :beard:
Reply 1997
I (at least half jokingly) offered to get my brother a 3DS as a birthday present, so I have to buy two. Count your lucky stars! Pretty sure there's a fair few games out already I quite fancy picking up though, so maybe not terrible..
Original post by Slumpy
I (at least half jokingly) offered to get my brother a 3DS as a birthday present, so I have to buy two. Count your lucky stars! Pretty sure there's a fair few games out already I quite fancy picking up though, so maybe not terrible..

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/25-best-nintendo-3ds-games, http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/10/the-top-25-nintendo-3ds-games and http://www.g4tv.com/games/top-100-3ds-games/ are your friends :h:

Super Mario 3D Land
Fire Emblem Awakening
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Luigi's Mansion 2
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate / Monster Hunter 4
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Mario Kart 7
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
Star Fox 64 3D
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Project X Zone
Pushmo / Crashmo (eShop)
Dillon's Rolling Western (eShop)
Mighty Switch Force! / Mighty Switch Force! 2 (eShop)
HarmoKnight (eShop)
VVVVVVVVVV (eShop)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Mario Tennis Open
Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Cave Story 3D
Resident Evil: Revelations
Shin Megami Tensei IV

That's not counting Smash Bros. 3DS, Pokémon X/Y, Sonic Lost World, Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Yoshi's New Island, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (eShop only :dry:), Mario Party: Island Tour, Bravely Default, Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright and all of the eShop Virtual Console games :lol:

I can't speak for or can't complain about the majority of the games on that list but Mario Kart 7 is in my opinion a massive disappointment. The single player mode is bare (No Single VS Race was a horrendous decision) and Battle modes are shafted even more than usual. The only reason to continue playing on your own past a couple of days is for Time Trials or to try amass the ridiculous amounts of coins needed to unlock a couple of specific parts. Character selection is also an absolute joke; they decided to throw out characters everyone loved, and replace them not even with characters that are highly requested by fans (Like Kamek) but with terrible characters no-one asked for (Honey Queen, I'm looking at you). Metal Mario in particular should never have been a character, they should've put the Metal Box as an item instead. Then, races feel far too slow for me personally; it's like they stopped a CC too early.

The real kicker with all of these flaws though is that Mario Kart 7 is in every other way a brilliant game. Controls are good, and items feel balanced better than most previous games. The course selection is absolutely fantastic and the new mechanics (Gliding more than underwater driving) work perfectly. It's incredibly disappointing that there are the problems mentioned earlier because if it weren't for them this would easily be the best Mario Kart yet.

(Sorry about the Mario Kart rant. To keep it relevant Pokemon stuff is spoilered below :tongue: )

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest