The Student Room Group

The TSR Pokémon Society III

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Aye I meant roserade, little tired :laugh: and ye got that feeling looking through the list, fairly certain I have something that could take down most of the psychics that are there, but as you say play testing's the best way to tell :p: I was originally going to put cobalion on my team, but couldn't really see any reason to pick him over hitmontop :erm:

Yeah they'd be more useful if it wasn't for the fact that virtually all common dragons are either quad weak to Ice, making STAB slightly redundant, or neutral to it, making Dragon attacks more preferable :\

Aye, found that when I eventually made a team without an ice type...the stab was doing nothing tbh :o:
Reply 161
Original post by cambo211
I've never been able to get into a match on the online tcg.

I just sit staring at those 2 imbeciles trying to click start :colonhash:

If it's the game crashing...I find it crashes on my netbook loads, but not on my friends' :erm: reloading sometimes helps, as does waiting ages for the start button to appear

If it's the idiots putting you off, I admit it can be a problem...can't really help with that
Original post by skipp

Original post by skipp
Aye I meant roserade, little tired :laugh: and ye got that feeling looking through the list, fairly certain I have something that could take down most of the psychics that are there, but as you say play testing's the best way to tell :p: I was originally going to put cobalion on my team, but couldn't really see any reason to pick him over hitmontop :erm:

Aye, found that when I eventually made a team without an ice type...the stab was doing nothing tbh :o:

They do function quite differently, with Cobalion obviously being better suited to conventional sweeper roles. Mixed CM sets can be quite nice, I've personally had moderate success with:

Cobalion@Life Orb
Timid/Naive
252SpAtt/252Spe/6Att
Work Up
Close Combat
Focus Blast
HP Ghost

Work Up for boosts, Focus Blast for STAB, HP Ghost for perfect coverage, Close Combat for Chansey. At +1 Close Combat will 2HKO even the bulkiest Chansey even with Timid, so it's worth considering in order to maintain bulk, which is surprisingly decent. Once Chansey's cleared out the way, spam Focus Blast and maul Ghosts with Hidden Power [=
I'm just about to give TCG a go, I played the single player side a lot a few months back [= is there a way of getting new cards without buying them, or am I stuck with the base decks?
...We had another death in the family today...

Shortly after posting and editing my update, I decided to give Voltorb Flip a rest, and take on the Normal Gym. I figured that a team of 19+ should be able to get through it easily, they managed to survive an intense encounter with a level 18 Raichu with Thunderbolt in the National Park. And again, I would have been right :colonhash:

The Clefairy was no problem, Yawn + Extrasensory from Maximilian finished it off quite quickly, but then Whitney's WHORE of a Miltank came in. I figured I'd switch out to Viktoria to get an Attack reduction from Intimidate, which worked well, Stomp barely did anything. Next turn, the Miltank got a critical hit with Stomp :eek: Viktoria managed to hold on with 5Hp and used Glare, and from then it was easy pickings...if the damn thing didn't happen to hold a Lum Berry.

I healed Viktoria to about 3/4 health, Stomp did minimal damage again, I switched to Dietmar (who's proving himself even stronger than his older brother with STAB Hyper Fang) - critical hit Stomp again. :eek3: Dietmar holds on with 2HP, and I figured it was a losing battle keeping him in, and decided to safely switch back to Viktoria for another Intimidate. Now the Lum berry had been used, Glare should be a safe move to paralyze the Miltank, and then it should be ea- CRITICAL HIT.

And like that, Viktoria was gone... :cry2:

...Like Dietmar before her, Viktorija will now fill the void left by her older sister, but Viktoria's Intimidating presence will never be replaced, and never be forgotten :frown:

...Team Update:
Alonso, Mild Cyndaquil, level 21
Anneliese, Quiet Zubat, level 19
Kaspar, Relaxed Gastly, level 19
Maximilian, Careful Togepi, level 19
Dietmar, Quirky Rattata, level 19
Viktorija, Impish Ekans, level 7

Daycare: Sven, Impish Spearow

PC Storage:
G, Bold Unown, level 5
Anemarie, Adamant Zubat, level 6
Erich, Relaxed Weedle, level 22
Nikolaus, Calm Nidoran M, level 12
Erhard, Brave Caterpie, level 18

The Other Side :moon::
Dietrich, Lax Rattata, level 6-15. Died to a critical hit from a Growlithe's Ember. R.I.P
Viktoria, Quirky Ekans, level 4-19. Died to a critical hit from Whitney's Miltank's Stomp. R.I.P.
Reply 165
Unfortunately you've got to buy the boosters to get the codes at the moment :p: it's good there's now stuff you can do for free though, when I first started using the beta you had to buy a deck to do anything

That's quite a nice set actually...if things don't work out with hitmontop I'll try that. Currently quite happy with my team though, will try it out when I'm less tired. Going with Roserade as my standard grass lead & found a zapdos build on smogon (substitute/roost/toxic/thunderbolt) that I really want to use that I wouldn't have normally thought of for zados :o:

edit: also sucks about viktoria RJ :console: nuzlocke can be heartbreaking
i hope so
According to serebii's latest update they're making quite a big deal about this announcement, so hopefully we'll get something significant [= There's also a Mewtwo event being announced, hopefully it will get something cool [=
got my heartgold out yesterday, and discovered i was halfway up the bell tower.

anyway managed to kill ho-oh twice (over-enthusiastic jolteon :rolleyes:), then on my third try, i got it down to about half a cm of red health. thought i would definitely need to get it down lower, but tried a greatball on the off-chance first. hehehe, got it on the first ball i used.

So, to the league and Kanto!!!
Reply 169
Ah now I'm getting excited :cute: know there was a mewtwo giveaway announced for the tcg a few weeks ago, they seem to be quite keen on them recently :p:

Also anyone up for a UU game on PO? :h:

edit: also biting the bullet and finally signing up to the smogon forums, anyone want me to name them as my referrer?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 170
Just PUG'd my first PO battle :nutcase: admittedly I lost, guy had an alakazam which finished me :o: but I took down some of his pokemon first (think it ended 3-0 or 4-0), don't think I made too much of a fool of myself
Reply 171
I'm just ging to ask a quick question, is there any need for another mono-type/gym team? i've just finished my Bug team, and am quite suprised how well Bugs work in 5th gen, admittedly they're still underdogs compared to nearly all over typings, but volcarano, Venomoth and Galvantula work excellent together!

@Skipp, i'm on Smogon (TheKoG) but i wouldnt bother listing me as a referrer, i've yet to post on their forums, but am more of a browser, some of there convos get really scary with their all knowing knowledge of absolutely everything pokemon....they seem to breath EV's and IV's and Fart out movepools....
Reply 172
Original post by kog
I'm just ging to ask a quick question, is there any need for another mono-type/gym team? i've just finished my Bug team, and am quite suprised how well Bugs work in 5th gen, admittedly they're still underdogs compared to nearly all over typings, but volcarano, Venomoth and Galvantula work excellent together!

@Skipp, i'm on Smogon (TheKoG) but i wouldnt bother listing me as a referrer, i've yet to post on their forums, but am more of a browser, some of there convos get really scary with their all knowing knowledge of absolutely everything pokemon....they seem to breath EV's and IV's and Fart out movepools....

I'll add you to the list if you think you're going to be around for a while, people are still training their team's up right now :yep: my friends all love bugs, personal favourite right now is venomoth, didn't expect it to be so good :s:

And awesome, just clicked the join button in the end :giggle:

Ok second pug battle, my opponent quit on me, I have no idea why as I didn't notice he was talking until a second before the window closed...hope I didn't do anything wrong :s:
Reply 173
Original post by skipp
I'll add you to the list if you think you're going to be around for a while, people are still training their team's up right now :yep: my friends all love bugs, personal favourite right now is venomoth, didn't expect it to be so good :s:

And awesome, just clicked the join button in the end :giggle:

Ok second pug battle, my opponent quit on me, I have no idea why as I didn't notice he was talking until a second before the window closed...hope I didn't do anything wrong :s:

I'm always around on this website, however i'm always more of a reader, when im procrastinating, like right now (Biology work booklet), then i tend to post more often. My team is more or less complete, i would just need a wildcard to be trained. If i were to do Bug, would Flygon be accepted as a wildcard? it is a bug egg group, and is based on a Dragon Fly, i think.
Really struggling to do anything with my gym team.

I want to get a Togekiss up and running but the only way to do that would be to restart HG :colonhash:

Unless anyone wants to trade me a Level 1 Togepi and a male minun or plusle onto my Gen IV game :puppyeyes:

And possibly a Roost TM :colonhash:

I really didnt prepare for this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 175
Just realised I have no reliable way of taking down fighting types, & knew psychic might be a problem...considering switching my roselia out for something to combat these problems :erm:

Original post by cambo211
Really struggling to do anything with my gym team.

I want to get a Togekiss up and running but the only way to do that would be to restart HG :colonhash:

Unless anyone wants to trade me a Level 1 Togepi and a male minun or plusle onto my Gen IV game :puppyeyes:

And possibly a Roost TM :colonhash:

I really didnt prepare for this.

I have both of these but no wifi :colonhash:

Original post by kog
I'm always around on this website, however i'm always more of a reader, when im procrastinating, like right now (Biology work booklet), then i tend to post more often. My team is more or less complete, i would just need a wildcard to be trained. If i were to do Bug, would Flygon be accepted as a wildcard? it is a bug egg group, and is based on a Dragon Fly, i think.

Ye, flygon would be acceptable, it's design's based on some kind of desert bug, forget which one :yep:
Original post by skipp

Original post by skipp
Just PUG'd my first PO battle :nutcase: admittedly I lost, guy had an alakazam which finished me :o: but I took down some of his pokemon first (think it ended 3-0 or 4-0), don't think I made too much of a fool of myself

PUG'd?

Original post by skipp
Ah now I'm getting excited :cute: know there was a mewtwo giveaway announced for the tcg a few weeks ago, they seem to be quite keen on them recently :p:

Also anyone up for a UU game on PO? :h:

edit: also biting the bullet and finally signing up to the smogon forums, anyone want me to name them as my referrer?

I'll give you a game in a bit, still trying to come up with something decent =P You can put me down if you haven't signed up already, my username is NTT (Pretty sure it's the only site where it's not some variant of Gofre XD)
Reply 177
Aye, pick-up group? When you find someone random to have a battle with, not sure what the pokemon equivalent is :o:

And awesome :cute: making a few variations to my team, give me a shout when you're done :smile:
Original post by skipp

Original post by skipp
Aye, pick-up group? When you find someone random to have a battle with, not sure what the pokemon equivalent is :o:

And awesome :cute: making a few variations to my team, give me a shout when you're done :smile:

It's pretty much just called finding someone XD

I have something that's working marginally well in UU now if you want a game?
I'm going to have to take a break from my SoulSilver Nuzlocke, I think I'm becoming desensitised to my Pokemon :s-smilie: Anneliese unfortunately passed away due to me underestimating a Psychic's Slowpoke's Headbutt after it had used Curse...and then when I had replaced her with her sister Aneta (caught at Mt. Mortar), I made a silly mistake keeping her in on a wild Raticate, which had Super Fang. I was basically in a check-mate situation there though, since the same Raticate knew Pursuit - I couldn't predict what it would use :sad: so now Anemarie has gone from having two older sisters to none, just like that. At least Dietmar and Viktorija can empathise and comfort her :redface:

It's not all bad though - I got the Eevee from Bill and named him Jaegar, in anticipation of his evolution to Jolteon :biggrin: also I bought the Dratini from the Game Corner and named her Sieglinde, and she's proving to be a powerhouse at these low levels, OHKOing with Dragon Rage, and Thunder Wave makes up for losing Viktoria with Glare. Stanislava the Stantler, Marten the Meowth and Nikolaus's twin Nils have all joined as well :smile:

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention the party's evolutions :rolleyes: Alonso became a Quilava at 15, Maximilian became a Togetic at 19 and Dietmar just evolved at 20 :yep:

Original post by NOBODY MOVE!

I caught the Sudowoodo and named him Dovile :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest