The Student Room Group

Did the police murder Duggan?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
You can't just repeat what someone else says and claim that's evidence.

Where's your evidence that he wasn't murdered?

The police aren't exactly the most candid and honest of institutions, are they!

Especially when ethnic minorities are involved.

I'm tired, be gone with you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
You can't just repeat what someone else says and claim that's evidence.

What a stupid thing to say. What do you expect? Him to obtain the bullet and test it himself? This is the internet, not a fully fledged investigation. If we extrapolate your logic far enough then evidence will only be evidence if we see it with our own eyes.
Original post by justlol
Where's your evidence that he wasn't murdered?

The police aren't exactly the most candid and honest of institutions, are they!

Especially when ethnic minorities are involved.

I'm tired, be gone with you.

"Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat" springs to mind.
Original post by SabreT
What a stupid thing to say. What do you expect? Him to obtain the bullet and test it himself? This is the internet, not a fully fledged investigation. If we extrapolate your logic far enough then evidence will only be evidence if we see it with our own eyes.

Or, perhaps, wait for the IPCC report? :rolleyes:

If I say "the police didn't do it", and then someone else repeats my statement, does that make it evidence?
Reply 24
Or, perhaps, wait for the IPCC report? :rolleyes:

If I say "the police didn't do it", and then someone else repeats my statement, does that make it evidence?

No, because you hold virtually no credibility at all. A national newspaper is vastly more credible than a relatively random individual, and so its story should be accepted as a source of evidence for now. My point isn't that what the guardian printed is correct; it may be completely wrong. My point is that you can't ignore a source and say its not credible because you think it is wrong. It is perfectly fine, especially for a debate on an online forum.
Reply 25
Original post by SabreT
No, because you hold virtually no credibility at all. A national newspaper is vastly more credible than a relatively random individual, and so its story should be accepted as a source of evidence for now. My point isn't that what the guardian printed is correct; it may be completely wrong. My point is that you can't ignore a source and say its not credible because you think it is wrong. It is perfectly fine, especially for a debate on an online forum.

Given the events of late I would not be so sure about that. In terms of the chain of credibility a national newspaper story has about 5-10 individuals' credibilities attached to it given how newspapers are organised. Given that national newspapers as a whole and indeed the individuals attached are just as prone to bias, if not more so, than the average individual I don't think you can really say that.
Original post by SabreT

I do not have access to any direct evidence. Neither does the newspaper.

How can their statement, which you acknowledge may be completely wrong, have any credibility whatsoever?

How does the "respectability" of the source make their assertions more credible?

By this logic, if the witness for the prosecution in a trial is a doctor, and the witness for the defence is a single mother on benefits, the testimony of the former is far stronger simply because of his subjective "respectability".
Original post by ak137
:rofl:

Its from a news source, idiot. I trust what the Guardian has to say over a silly aspiring lawyer.

EDIT: Its cus you lost the argument and you have nothing else to say, therefore you attack something that is completely unrelated.

How does it being from a news source make it any more credible?

They have no access to any evidence.

Do you believe everything you read in the papers? :rolleyes:
Reply 28
I do not have access to any direct evidence. Neither does the newspaper.

And you know this how? Unfortunately, newspapers don't have to inform us of their sources before they print material, so there's absolutely no way you can be sure of that. They could have been tipped off by the lab worker doing the test for all we know.

How can their statement, which you acknowledge may be completely wrong, have any credibility whatsoever?

Because it came from a national newspaper. I'm open to the possibility that they obtained this information carefully and so it could be relatively accurate. They have proved themselves in the past to be relatively good at gaining information before official evidence is released e.g. with MPs expenses and Milly Dowler's phone being hacked. I am not saying that this makes their statement correct. Just that based on their past reporting, it is sensible for me to assume that their story is correct until alternative evidence emerges.

How does the "respectability" of the source make their assertions more credible?

By this logic, if the witness for the prosecution in a trial is a doctor, and the witness for the defence is a single mother on benefits, the testimony of the former is far stronger simply because of his subjective "respectability".

Nope. The guardian is relatively respectable in journalism. Not medicine. Refer to my point above.

Original post by Connhk
Given the events of late I would not be so sure about that. In terms of the chain of credibility a national newspaper story has about 5-10 individuals' credibilities attached to it given how newspapers are organised. Given that national newspapers as a whole and indeed the individuals attached are just as prone to bias, if not more so, than the average individual I don't think you can really say that.

That is a very good point. I should've said relatively more credible then. Again just because of their track record.
Just ignore Aspiringlawstudent. He's clearly a very stupid person. Nothing productive could possibly come from arguing with him. For one thing, he actually believes that the IPCC is a credible organisation. Enough said, really.
You don't know the facts, the details. At the moment it's only speculation so don't assume anything.
Reply 31
For those to young to remember. It was The Guardian that revealed that the Police attacked Ian Tomlison before he died. Killing the lie they were spreading that they only tried to save his life while the G20 Protestors attacked Ian and them with bottles.
Reply 32
Original post by retch32
For those to young to remember. It was The Guardian that revealed that the Police attacked Ian Tomlison before he died. Killing the lie they were spreading that they only tried to save his life while the G20 Protestors attacked Ian and them with bottles.

I shall rep you when possible.
I hope, for the sake of the police, that they didn't. It would just be used as justification for the riots and create even more tension towards the police.
Honestly? I couldn't care. I'd like to think that they stopped him from hurting anyone else, whether they had to shoot him is another whole thread.
I honestly don't care about some crack dealer anyway, but if the guardian is wrong,I hope the journo involved is beaten by the police and thrown in jail for a few years for stoking up the 'tension' on the streets. The last thing anyone needs is someone causing even more violence.
Reply 36
Original post by ConnorB
Honestly? I couldn't care. I'd like to think that they stopped him from hurting anyone else, whether they had to shoot him is another whole thread.

so according to Connor we can enforce a minority report-like policy. Bring forward the oracles!!!
Reply 37
Original post by justlol
'Meanwhile, the police version of events at Thursday's shooting of dad-of-five Mark Duggan,59, was challenged. They said he was shot after firing at a cop, who was saved by the bullet hitting his radio.

But tests on a bullet lodged in the radio are said to show it was police issue, not from the handgun Duggan was carrying. '

It wouldn't be the first time.

they never said he fired at cops.

According to the cop that shot him he feared for his life and so fired two bullets. The first hit and second went through or missed.

(From unoffical sources but heard on Sky)
Reply 38
Original post by justlol
'Meanwhile, the police version of events at Thursday's shooting of dad-of-five Mark Duggan,59, was challenged. They said he was shot after firing at a cop, who was saved by the bullet hitting his radio.

But tests on a bullet lodged in the radio are said to show it was police issue, not from the handgun Duggan was carrying. '

It wouldn't be the first time.

It doesn't matter what the Police say or wether Duggan fired the first shot or not.

The Police shot at and killed Mark Duggan, therefore they murdered him. Nothing else in this thread is relevant.

I voted yes.
I don't know, but something doesn't seem right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending