The Student Room Group

A Question for Irish and Northern Irish Students!!!!

Hi, I'm an American (applying to some UK universities) but I'm also in this special course in school about Ireland and the troubles. If any Irish, Northern Irish, or other people who might go to school in either the north or the republic want to help me with my project to find out what life is like for youth in both parts these days, it would be SOOOOOOOOOO appreciated!!! You can reply to this post or PM me. THANK YOU.
Reply 1
ladygrey
Hi, I'm an American (applying to some UK universities) but I'm also in this special course in school about Ireland and the troubles. If any Irish, Northern Irish, or other people who might go to school in either the north or the republic want to help me with my project to find out what life is like for youth in both parts these days, it would be SOOOOOOOOOO appreciated!!! You can reply to this post or PM me. THANK YOU.

Most N Irish i've tried to engage in convo about this topic have not taken kindly to it. It seems theyhave had to live it and find the whole thing as boring and tedious as most British people do.
Reply 2
I'm not sure this is the place for this kind of 'research'.
Being young in NI and Ireland and GB is much the same as anywhere really.
Boring!!!
Reply 3
peliot
I'm not sure this is the place for this kind of 'research'.
Being young in NI and Ireland and GB is much the same as anywhere really.
Boring!!!

sorry, I'm just curious

--------------

speranza
I'm Northern Irish (live close to Belfast). I'll answer any questions you have, but don't think my life is particularly interesting! :wink:

I really appreciate it! Are you Protestant or Catholic? Also, do you want Northern Ireland to join with the South, or stay united to GB? And additionally, what do you (and/or family, friends) think of the Good Friday Agreement?

--------------

JHutcher
Most N Irish i've tried to engage in convo about this topic have not taken kindly to it. It seems theyhave had to live it and find the whole thing as boring and tedious as most British people do.

Being British, what would you like to happen with Ireland? I of course understand people finding the whole thing boring - after all, they've had to live it! But as an outsider, I want to understand.
Reply 4
ladygrey

I am English and have always found it very difficult to understand the divided society in Northern Ireland. Here in London we live in a multi-ethnic multi-religious community where religion or sect is of no consequence whatsoever. My friends include, protestants, catholics, siekhs, muslims and people with no religion at all. There is no division in England (especially London) and many mixed marriages. Schools are mixed as well, so the conflict seems extraordinary to us. I find it very hard to understand the hatred that seems to exist there and can't understand the bigotted politics which seem to divide on religious grounds rather than right or left wing policies.

I despair at the inability of both sides to be able work together to find a solution. The causes of the conflict lie deep in history and past centuries. It's time people moved on into the 21st century and put the grievances of the past behind.
Reply 5
:rolleyes: Americans...
Reply 6
Esquire

I'm getting the same vibe... but if you want to ask me any questions, I'm all ears ladygrey (I'm in Dublin).

I despair at the inability of both sides to be able work together to find a solution. The causes of the conflict lie deep in history and past centuries. It's time people moved on into the 21st century and put the grievances of the past behind.

The problem is that the issue is not ancient history. A large minority in NI (about 35%-45%) and huge numbers in the Republic actively want a united Ireland. I think the problem for a lot of outsiders is that they don't understand how messy the history of the situation is, and I won't pretend to be an expert either.
Reply 7
Let's say there was a movement in Tibet for (or rather 'to restore') independence, which was supported by 95%+ of Tibetans. To prevent that happening, the Chinese government shipped alot of anti-independence non-Tibetan people into the country, stole Tibetan land, forced Tibetans into one corner and gave the cleared land to the non-Tibetans as a reward for their moving. Say the Chinese government then held Tibet by force of arms for (say) two or three centuries, incorporating 'Tibetan' representation into their own Chinese government in Bejing.
As the trend towards nation states grows in the modern world, Tibetans want their independence back, and 80% of Tibet support that. The 20% of 'imported' Chinese oppose it as they fear that Tibetan culture etc will be too dominant. The Chinese government in Bejing take repeated votes on the matter of Tibetan Home Rule, but naturally it is defeated.
Eventually, after (say) a century of armed rebellion, the Chinese realise the impossibility of maintaining such difficult terrain against (the by now) well-armed insurgents supported in their cause by almost all other countries around the world. They negotiate a settlement which hives off a quarter of Tibet and gives it to the Chinese settlers, who flock to that quarter and make a 55% majority within it. 80% of all people in Tibet oppose this arrangement.
The Chinese then organise a vote in the 'Chinese quarter' and (naturally) find that the majority therein favour separation from the rest of Tibet (i.e of 'remaining' part of China). The Bejing government impose economic sanctions and threaten 'total' war say unless the partition is accepted.
The partition is accepted, perforce, but residual problems remain, which are exacerbated by discrimination against the Tibetan minority (45%) in the 'Chinese province' [e.g. Tibetans are herded into enclaves so that they only have 10% of seats in the provincial 'parliament' - set up by Bejing so that the Chinese in Tibet can keep exclusive control of their province; e.g. you must own your house before you can vote, and Tibetans are kept in such an economic state that they mostly don't own their houses; e.g. Landlords own the votes of all who live in their rented accommodation].
Eventually - surprise - rebellion returns.

What's the long term solution, do you think? [c.f. Vietnam, South Africa, etc]. Some thoughts:
(i) Common / modern decency demands that this kind of 'historical' problem is resolved WITHOUT violence, no matter what the injustices of the old situation. The world has moved on from military rebellion.
(ii) The Chinese who remain in Tibet should accept that it's not China; the Tibetans must recognise that not everyone in Tibet is Tibetan.
(iii) Where are the Tibetan Chinese to go after centuries in Tibet? There must be a federal kind of accommodation.
(iv) There are good people everywhere, in all cultures and creeds. It only takes a critical mass of them to come together to solve the problem, supported by a strong ethically-driven government in Bejing. Happily, one day, this comes to pass under two successive Chinese leaders (of opposing political persuasion).
Only hard-line fascist rumps remain in Tibet; some on both sides.
Reply 8
Esquire
yes yes, I know Americans are funny and probably annoying... but if it makes you feel any better I hate George Bush with a passion? :p: anyhow, I really am interested.
From the south at uni in the north...dad's a Republican, mum's British and I'm an Irish girl with an English accent - go figure lol :cool:
Were you born in England Tarts_n_Vicars? Where did you get your English accent from then? I moved over to Omagh when I was 14 and still have one heh.
I was born in Ireland but went to England for school when I was 17 (up until 6 months ago so that was 6 years altogether lol). My accent kinda morphed into an English one while I was there and the Irish only comes out when v. excited or v. angry :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending