The Student Room Group

UK National Insurance Number

Hi all, so I'm applying for a tuition fee only loan as an Irish citizen with an Irish passport and I reached Section 6 of the application where it asks if you have a UK National Insurance Number. Since I'm Irish I don't have one, but the "no" option states:

"We’ll only make the first payment of tuition fees to your university or college until you give us your NI number. You can apply for an NI number at www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number"

I'm just wondering what does this mean? Does this mean I'm only eligible for part of the funding or what. I can't really apply for this number because I'm living at home in the Republic so I'm not exactly eligible. Do I just leave it blank?

If anyone could offer me an answer I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Hi Nakkan,

What it means is that we will pay the 1st Tuition Fee Loan payment without the National Insurance Number but you will need to apply for a National Insurance Number once you are in the UK as we will not pay the 2nd and 3rd instalment of the Tuition Fee Loan without it. Once you get your National Insurance Number you can update this on your online account.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 2
Do I apply for this number even if I'm not living in the UK? I'm going to be living at home during my studies [in the Republic] and commuting. I'm applying for a loan in Northern Ireland if this helps.
Hi Nakkan,

So your course will be in Northern Ireland and you have no plans to live there? You will just commute everyday you are due in at the university from the Republic of Ireland?

Thanks, Drew
Reply 4
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi Nakkan,
So your course will be in Northern Ireland and you have no plans to live there? You will just commute everyday you are due in at the university from the Republic of Ireland?
Thanks, Drew

Yes. I'm not planning moving up just commuting every day.
Hi Nakkan,

If you do not have a National Insurance Number then you will not get the 2nd or 3rd term payment for the Tuition Fee Loan. They may also at some point say that you were not eligible for the term 1 payment as the new policy stipulates that EU students will need to have a National Insurance Number.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 6
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi Nakkan,
If you do not have a National Insurance Number then you will not get the 2nd or 3rd term payment for the Tuition Fee Loan. They may also at some point say that you were not eligible for the term 1 payment as the new policy stipulates that EU students will need to have a National Insurance Number.
Thanks, Drew

Hi Drew,

So just so I am understanding correctly: I need to have a UK address to be able to apply for a National Insurance Number in order to be able to be eligible for the loan, meaning that since I will still be living in Ireland when I begin my course and throughout my studies that I am not eligible for a loan as a result of it?

Thanks.
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi Nakkan,

Yes that is correct as like a said we do not need a National Insurance Number to make the 1st payment for the Tuition Fee Loan but would need one to pay the Tuition Fee Loan in term 2 and 3. If you do not provide a National Insurance Number they then may take your term 1 payment for the Tuition Fee Loan back but we have no guidance on this as of yet. To apply for a National Insurance Number you do need to have a UK home address.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending