The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Queen’s University Belfast - accents???

I have an offer from QUB for next year and I’ve never been to Northern Ireland at all. I’m from England and I (unfortunately) have a very stereotypically posh English accent, so I’ve been wondering if that would impact my experience much 😭. I might be overly paranoid about this, and I don’t want to assume that people in Northern Ireland would be judgemental, but obviously I know that the English aren’t historically very popular over there (to say the least). Any insight would be appreciated 🙏🙏
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by anevbr
I have an offer from QUB for next year and I’ve never been to Northern Ireland at all. I’m from England and I (unfortunately) have a very stereotypically posh English accent, so I’ve been wondering if that would impact my experience much 😭. I might be overly paranoid about this, and I don’t want to assume that people in Northern Ireland would be judgemental, but obviously I know that the English aren’t historically very popular over there (to say the least). Any insight would be appreciated 🙏🙏

I wouldn’t worry. The Troubles were over 25 years ago and especially the younger generations won’t hold any prejudice against you outside of the typical rivalry between nations (as with Scotland/England etc). As a capital city and a student city there is also more diversity anyway than there would be elsewhere - you definitely won’t be the only English person! I’m not from NI but have visited a few times and everyone was always friendly - even older people. History/past events are technically nothing to do with you anyway so… Don’t be ashamed of your accent either!!
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
I'm currently attending Queens as a local student and have heard plenty of English accents around you definitely won't be alone! As the above anonymous said, younger generations don't hold any prejudices and you'll be very welcome here in Northern Ireland. 🙂
Reply 3
I am living in Northern Ireland for years ( not originally from NI). You will find the the most welcoming and friendly people here and will no doubt get the meaning of having some 'craic ' very soon 😊 Don't worry at all and enjoy the experience!
I agree everyones really friendly and theirs a diverse range of peoples expalin at uni
I wouldnt worry hope u rlly enjoy it here
Reply 5
Original post by Amou72
I am living in Northern Ireland for years ( not originally from NI). You will find the the most welcoming and friendly people here and will no doubt get the meaning of having some 'craic ' very soon 😊 Don't worry at all and enjoy the experience!

That’s a relief!!!
You'll be grand, people will take the **** out of your accent but they'll take the **** out of anything. It's how the place is. I'm half English half Irish. I always tell people be up for a laugh and maybe expect it a bit more at your expense in Ireland compared to England but it's all in good fun. And people are far nicer once you adjust to that and give it back too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending