The Student Room Group

Cultural differences between England and Germany

First of all, let me make it absolutely clear that this is in no way a racist/ xenophobic thread - I love Germany and the German people.

Thing is- I'm soon to be going on my year abroad (to Germany) and I was just wondering how others had interpreted the German people? I've seen a few things over the Internet about how Germans aren't rude, but can appear abrupt, but it is more a cultural thing than actual rudeness. This just worries me a bit, as I can find it quite hard to read people.

There's an article for example on the BBC website, about how there is no German word for 'small-talk'. I can tend to ramble on a bit, and I spend most of my free time being sickly sweet to customers as I work in a department store and I guess I'm a bit worried that I'll be ignored or yelled at or something. Directness can make me feel pretty uncomfortable as well.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience that they could share with me? Am I worrying about nothing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They have no sense of humour!
Reply 2
I think your worrying too much.
Humourless, slightly camp, work very hard.

I write travel and culture guides, you know.
Reply 4
Our brats are the wurst in Europe and your bratwursts are the best in Europe.
Original post by Anonymous
First of all, let me make it absolutely clear that this is in no way a racist/ xenophobic thread - I love Germany and the German people.

Thing is- I'm soon to be going on my year abroad (to Germany) and I was just wondering how others had interpreted the German people? I've seen a few things over the Internet about how Germans aren't rude, but can appear abrupt, but it is more a cultural thing than actual rudeness. This just worries me a bit, as I can find it quite hard to read people.

There's an article for example on the BBC website, about how there is no German word for 'small-talk'. I can tend to ramble on a bit, and I spend most of my free time being sickly sweet to customers as I work in a department store and I guess I'm a bit worried that I'll be ignored or yelled at or something. Directness can make me feel pretty uncomfortable as well.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience that they could share with me? Am I worrying about nothing?

Really? Germany sounds good. Small talk pisses me off. :angry:
Buy these books from Amazon. I found them very helpful.

Germany - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture [Paperback]
Barry Tomalin (Author)

The Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans (Xenophobe's Guides) [Paperback]
Stefan Zeidenitz (Author), Ben Barko (Author)
Reply 7
When you order a beer YOU GET A BLOODY BEER!! not some beer flavour fizzy pop in some small wimpy pint glass.

The humor one is a good point, if you do a fancy dress piss up don't dress as KKK with your colored chum in dungarees with a noose round his neck ...

i noticed they don't cross the road unless the light says to, even if there is absolutely no traffic.
Are the Germans fond of their children?
Reply 9
Original post by carnationlilyrose

Read this book above.

OP, you worry too much. you will get some direct, straight-talking Germans, and some which are exactly the opposite. I've spent my life between the two countries, and it really is incredibly similar to the UK. Not identical, but similar. As for the BBC saying there is no word for small-talk, I'd just call it 'leichte Konversation' or something :confused: But, yes, the Germans do small-talk. A lot. They also do akward silences.

Have fun there, it's great. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bslforever

:biggrin: Anyone who reminds me of that fateful moment gets repped.
Reply 11
We **** more than they do.
Reply 12
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Buy these books from Amazon. I found them very helpful.

Germany - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture [Paperback]
Barry Tomalin (Author)

Stefan Zeidenitz (Author), Ben Barko (Author)

Oh, I just found a preview for the first one online :smile: - looks good, thanks for suggesting
It depends also of the region. (And thus: Can you understand them? :wink: )
But see it positive: In the long run it can be easier to develop friendships, because you get a "direct feedback".

And we may not have a word for small-talk, but if we want to do small-talk (and not business) we do it (schwätzen, schnacken, parlieren,...).
Reply 14
Original post by Bslforever

Do the germans play board games?
No joking

Supposedly they don't queue for things but that's ok.

I too want to study / work/live in germany after school but a tad worried about my glasgow accent and if they will be able to understand me and like there drink.

But do the germans have calenders? Oktoberfest is in september and only about a week in october if lucky
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous
There's an article for example on the BBC website, about how there is no German word for 'small-talk'.

Geplauder, Plausch, Tratsch :frown:

There's no English word for Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftsraddampferkapitänskajütentürsicherheitsschlüssel.

Original post by Direct15

But do the germans have calenders? Oktoberfest is in september and only about a week in october if lucky

We don't queue? Where'd you hear that?

The only people who make a big deal about Oktoberfest are foreigners and Bavarians. The rest of us find it pretty annoying to be reduced to beer and autobahn. :s-smilie:
Original post by avila

The only people who make a big deal about Oktoberfest are foreigners and Bavarians. The rest of us find it pretty annoying to be reduced to beer and autobahn. :s-smilie:

Ach, komm schon! We all know that Bavaria isn't really part of Germany... :ahee:
My German is a very distant memory, but is klatschen a possible word for small talk? Or have I made that up? Anyway, I've just come back from a tour of 18 different places in Germany and I felt quite at home in all of them, so don't worry, OP.

Actually, it means gossip, so not quite the same thing. Should have checked first.:redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
My german friend from uni told me that we dress up much more for nights out, and don't take coats (although I think that's a northern thing). Her mate also said that we seemed to prefer quantity of alcohol instead of quality.

Also, they found the concept of mushy peas to be absolutely hilarious as apparently 'mushy' is german slang for 'pussy'.
Reply 19
Original post by Direct15
Do the germans play board games?
No joking

I too want to study / work/live in germany after school but a tad worried about my glasgow accent and if they will be able to understand me and like there drink.

Haha, one of the last things our german lecturer told us was that although a bus queue may form, it means nothing when the bus actually comes and it's every man for himself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending