The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2011-2012 :: Resources and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Our class did 2 PPAs. How many marks should I be kissing goodbye already?
Reply 101
Hm... anybody got predictions of what they think might appear (PPA-wise in particular, so that I can learn them for the first time :tongue: )? Anything not turned up for a while?

Double-post since the thread was down to the second page~
Original post by Armaros
Hm... anybody got predictions of what they think might appear (PPA-wise in particular, so that I can learn them for the first time :tongue: )? Anything not turned up for a while?

Double-post since the thread was down to the second page~

My teacher reckoned aspirin preparation, partition coefficient, and verification of a thermodynamic prediction are all likely to come up.

Don't worry, we only did a few in class as well, the rest I've just learnt about from the Bright Red Revision guide :tongue:
Reply 103
Original post by Chiringuito
My teacher reckoned aspirin preparation, partition coefficient, and verification of a thermodynamic prediction are all likely to come up.

Don't worry, we only did a few in class as well, the rest I've just learnt about from the Bright Red Revision guide :tongue:

Tremend!! From having a quick Bright Red peek, at least the latter two of those look like ones where most of the marks could come from general course knowledge rather than PPA knowledge~

Like, "In a PPA, a prediction was made of the thermodynamics of the following reaction... from the information provided, calculate H, calculate S, calculate G, calculate feasible temperature" instead of "... the first step of the PPA is to find some clear desk space. Describe the following 8 steps."

i'm not good at those ones
Reply 104
Original post by Armaros
Our class did 2 PPAs. How many marks should I be kissing goodbye already?

Up to 10 marks can be allocated to PPA questions, but some of those will be calculations and not the knowledge and understanding, so not that many. I'd say 4 at the most. My best bet is to look at the last 3 or 4 years papers and not bother with the PPAs that were asked about in those papers, and hope for the best :dontknow:
Reply 105
Original post by Armaros

Like, "In a PPA, a prediction was made of the thermodynamics of the following reaction... from the information provided, calculate H, calculate S, calculate G, calculate feasible temperature" instead of "... the first step of the PPA is to find some clear desk space. Describe the following 8 steps."

i'm not good at those ones

I don't think anyone is :tongue: The only past paper question that demanded you know about the PPA that I've ever got is the one that asks "why is manganese particularly suited tp the colorimetric method?"... and you don't need to be a genius to work that one out.
Original post by Sniggey
I don't think anyone is :tongue: The only past paper question that demanded you know about the PPA that I've ever got is the one that asks "why is manganese particularly suited tp the colorimetric method?"... and you don't need to be a genius to work that one out.

I don't even remember there being a PPA where we used manganese. D:
At least you can answer that one from theory.
Reply 107
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I don't even remember there being a PPA where we used manganese. D:
At least you can answer that one from theory.

That was one of the only ones we didn't do Scott!
How you feeling about today? :smile:
Original post by NMx11
That was one of the only ones we didn't do Scott!
How you feeling about today? :smile:

Keep calm and carry on, I always say. I'm going through the things I don't know and trying to 'animate' them as a short-term way of storing them in my head. I've got unit 1 perfect, haven't gotten a unit 1 question wrong for like, 3 past papers now. Unit 2 is good in terms of being able to do it, but the theory's a bit fuzzy on some areas. Weirdly it's the indicators stuff as opposed to the harder stuff like thermodynamics I'm struggling with.

Unit 3 is fuzzy on some mechanisms, I know my alkane, alkene, alcohol/ether, and acids. But I've got no clue how the benzene ones work. And I don't know a single thing about any PPAs. I hope an aspirin question comes up, I did all that for my investigation!

I finally got my hair cut yesterday (god, it looked so bad), too. Looking sexy now. So hopefully that'll bring me good luck. :tongue:
This is what I get for leaving revision until like, a few days ago.

Don't you have an unconditional anyway, Nicole? You don't have to worry too much!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 109
yaldi were all gonna get an a in the advancd higher chemistry exam I'll upload the paper :smile: REMEBER TO WRITE DOON YER MMULTIPLE CHOICE QQUESTIONS SSO WE CAN CCOMAPRE :smile:
Reply 110
Keep calm and carry on, I always say. I'm going through the things I don't know and trying to 'animate' them as a short-term way of storing them in my head. I've got unit 1 perfect, haven't gotten a unit 1 question wrong for like, 3 past papers now. Unit 2 is good in terms of being able to do it, but the theory's a bit fuzzy on some areas. Weirdly it's the indicators stuff as opposed to the harder stuff like thermodynamics I'm struggling with.

Unit 3 is fuzzy on some mechanisms, I know my alkane, alkene, alcohol/ether, and acids. But I've got no clue how the benzene ones work. And I don't know a single thing about any PPAs. I hope an aspirin question comes up, I did all that for my investigation!

I finally got my hair cut yesterday (god, it looked so bad), too. Looking sexy now. So hopefully that'll bring me good luck. :tongue:
This is what I get for leaving revision until like, a few days ago.

Don't you have an unconditional anyway, Nicole? You don't have to worry too much!

I HATE PPAs!!!
Yeah unit 3 isn't too good either!
Haha, you're so modest but hopefully it will bring you luck! :tongue:
Yeah but i have a conditional for Glasgow, I need a B! I'm scared Scott :frown:
Good luck btw, are you doing it at your own school? :smile:
Original post by NMx11
I HATE PPAs!!!
Yeah unit 3 isn't too good either!
Haha, you're so modest but hopefully it will bring you luck! :tongue:
Yeah but i have a conditional for Glasgow, I need a B! I'm scared Scott :frown:
Good luck btw, are you doing it at your own school? :smile:

They're there for the sole purpose to feign teaching us 'practical skills' and equally frustrate students. I did enjoy doing the PPAs at Our Lady's though, learned more about technique in those couple of weeks at the start than I did from the past 5 years of experiments at my own school. My disbelief at actually having the appropriate equipment for a change...it was beautiful. :cry2:

I'd hold your hand and tell you it's all going to be okay, but...I'm doing it at my own school. I wish all of you the best of luck in everything. I think you'll do it. You always make things seem much worse than they actually are. You're going to breeze through this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 112
They're there for the sole purpose to feign teaching us 'practical skills' and equally frustrate students. I did enjoy doing the PPAs at Our Lady's though, learned more about technique in those couple of weeks at the start than I did from the past 5 years of experiments at my own school. My disbelief at actually having the appropriate equipment for a change...it was beautiful. :cry2:

I'd hold your hand and tell you it's all going to be okay, but...I'm doing it at my own school. I wish all of you the best of luck in everything. I think you'll do it. You always make things seem much worse than they actually are. You're going to breeze through this.

Haha! I know they actually had proper equipment! Yeah Mr Coil was so good!
Awwh thank you! All the best to you too :smile:
Original post by NMx11
Haha! I know they actually had proper equipment! Yeah Mr Coil was so good!
Awwh thank you! All the best to you too :smile:

He's the friendliest guy I've ever met. And he knew what he was doing! It was awesome. :biggrin:

Will you be joining TSR for the post-mortem analysis? :tongue:
Reply 114
Not sure if i'll write down my multiple choice answers, coming here and seeing how many are wrong will probably just make me sad :tongue:
Reply 115

I take it everyone already posting in that thread wasn't a big enough hint that we knew of its existence? :tongue:
Reply 117
He's the friendliest guy I've ever met. And he knew what he was doing! It was awesome. :biggrin:

Will you be joining TSR for the post-mortem analysis? :tongue:

How did you find it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending