The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

The Official University of Birmingham Freshers 2011 Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by What the devil?
I prefer pubs too :biggrin: Haven't bought the Fresher's pack because in the event that I can't find anyone who wants to go the pub instead of a club, I'll have lots of things which need sorting out anyway, or I'll find a society evening or something.

Ah I love pubs! There must be more of us.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by InvisibleGInger

*cough*

and I'm one of them :smile: Pubs ftw
Reply 583
Original post by supernovainthesky
Did you get the freshers pack? I would prefer pubs too!

Hey, nope I haven't got the freshers pack - heard that there's gonna be other stuff to do as well (but haven't really had chance to check what there is to do) :smile:
Glad to not be the only one :tongue:
Original post by Dandaman1
and I'm one of them :smile: Pubs ftw

I've been researching and there are definitely some decent pubs nearby.
Does anyone just want to buy a ticket for the freshers ball?

Is it pubs or clubs that Broad street is mainly made up of?

And apparently the Mailbox has some nearby?
Reply 587
Original post by karema66
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, thanks again for all the help with A2 lit altho i did enjoy doing A2 texts better than AS. It'a all over now yayaya!! At Birmingham, we have compulsory modules then the rest is choice (yay). I have to read "Les belles images" by De Beauvoir before i start. They still haven't made my module choices yet, but i probably won't focus so much on literature as i'm not really that interested or good at it. Btw, that carribean lit module sounds good!

LOL, you must love/hate french literature but then again you must love it seeming as you can't help but choose it in your course. You are certainly talented when it comes to english lit thats for sure:smile:. Don't worry i'm sure you'll be fine in your second year. Any YEAR ABROAD....i recommend the cities Paris and Madrid...but that's just my cliche opinion:smile:

Yeah, i am kinda doing spanish, i spent most of the summer teaching myself and intend to do some classes while at Uni perhaps at the Languages center. But, i'm actually gonna be doing French and Arabic. Exciting time! i hope...i'm trying to stay positive as much as possible.

Unfortunatly, i'm not living at Birmingham uni...it costs like £96 a week (shocking) so, i'm commuting...i only live in stafford which isn't far off like 30-40 minutes away. So very much living at home. But on the plus side, i can save money for other more essential things perhaps.

Thanks again and see ya!!!xxxx

Lucky - I have always wanted to learn Arabic!

I will let you know what I decide about the year abroad!

Commuting is alright! It does feel that there is something missing because you don't live there but if you immerse yourself in uni life you won't miss out :smile:

x
Is it pubs or clubs that Broad street is mainly made up of?

And apparently the Mailbox has some nearby?

Mainly clubs I believe, might be a few pubs.
Reply 589

Original post by znh
Lucky - I have always wanted to learn Arabic!

I will let you know what I decide about the year abroad!

Commuting is alright! It does feel that there is something missing because you don't live there but if you immerse yourself in uni life you won't miss out :smile:

x

Cheers for the advice. I fully attend on trying to get involved in Uni life while i'm there. Yeah, definitely tell me where you decide to go during your year abroad.

Yep, Arabic altho i fully intend on learning spanish (didn't realise it was such a cool language) I know i'm setting myself out for lots of work (extra) but oh well, now is the best time to learn and it will benefit me in the future.

speak to ya soon. xxx
Original post by karema66
hey...anyone doing French or/and Arabic or is on the BA Modern Languages course!!!!! Please reply, i feel alone with that reading list of expensive books...grrrrrr

I'm doing French as part of BA Modern Languages :smile: I'm so confused about which books to buy though, the email said it's mostly dependent on module choices so I might just wait until I get there to figure it out.
Reply 591
Anyone in Hunter?
i'm in hunter
Reply 593
Just got my welcome pack!!! But no reading list D: I'm studying ancient history and archaeology and the archaeology institute sent a website but that involved all the modules.
No idea what i need to do!
Reply 594
Original post by 04jharrison
im staying in elgar court, you?

Elgar Court here too :smile:

so there seems to be a lot of people on here not going for the freshersfest? I don't know why you wouldn't! Sounds like great fun! I have like 5 fancy dress outfits to sort out too :/ going to be SO expensive
Reply 595
Just have a look on this Fancy Dress website some of the stuff on there is pretty good value. 10% discount if you 'like' their Facebook page as well
I am a mega **** and lost my passport last night (my only form of ID) so until my new one arrives on wednesday I am going to be veryyyyy lonely in the evenings if everyone I know pisses off to the freshers events :tongue:
anyone know of anything going on that does not involve being ID-ed on the monday and tuesday night? :biggrin:
Original post by Mally-xo

Original post by Mally-xo
I am a mega **** and lost my passport last night (my only form of ID) so until my new one arrives on wednesday I am going to be veryyyyy lonely in the evenings if everyone I know pisses off to the freshers events :tongue:
anyone know of anything going on that does not involve being ID-ed on the monday and tuesday night? :biggrin:

Wow, that's an expensive piece of ID to lose :/ They're like £70 to replace!

Can't you just use your ID card from the university, seeing as it has your photo on it?
Wow, that's an expensive piece of ID to lose :/ They're like £70 to replace!

Can't you just use your ID card from the university, seeing as it has your photo on it?

I am driving down to Wales tomorrow to get an emergency one which means it will arrive next week so it costs £112 instead... I am never getting as drunk as I did last night again haha. I have learnt my lesson though :biggrin:
I already phoned the student union and they said NOOOOO but I might just beg them to let me in anyways!
I've been researching and there are definitely some decent pubs nearby.

selly oak, which is where you will live in 2nd year plus and is on the other side of campus to halls has 5 pubs all very close to one another along the main road through it, and don't forget bar one on the vale, spent many nights in first year in there haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending