The Student Room Group

Self tan for guys

Anyone got any recommendations of good products and how best to apply it?

I don't want to look dirty brown I just want to be less pale when autumn/winter arrive than normal. Right now I have a good tan and I look and feel much more healthy and confident about myself. So something that's subtle but not TOO subtle (I tried L'oreal "summer body, sun-kissed moisturiser" before and it made no difference at all).

This is mostly just for my face and neck by the way.
Reply 1
You claim to be a man.
Do not self tan.
Don't do it!!
Why does anybody wear fake tan?
everyone and I mean everyone looks ridiculous in it.
Reply 4
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
Why does anybody wear fake tan?
everyone and I mean everyone looks ridiculous in it.

Near on every celeb wears it, most of them look pretty good.
Reply 5
Real Men don't fake tan
Original post by visa
Near on every celeb wears it, most of them look pretty good.

Makes them look unnatural IMO.
thatsyouropinion
This is mostly just for my face and neck by the way.
Go and get some sun or get on a tanning bed!

It'll look pretty silly if you've got an orange face and a pasty white arms...
Reply 8
Waaay too much hate going on.

If you want to wear a bit of self tanner, go for it! I'd go for something subtle like a gradual self tanner (like dove's summer glow) - It's not brown, not orange... just your skin but better really; very natural.

You might want to do your arms/legs/etc. though so there's not a two-tone thing going on.
Yeah good one people. A good self-tan/moisturiser makes you look slightly golden, not like OMG FAKE TAN that you see on chav girls on Snog, Marry, Avoid, just a little less pasty and unwell.

I don't want the health risks associated with a sun bed, SuspectPenguin. And my arms and legs are naturally quite dark and hold the tan from the summer, for some reason my face doesn't.
Original post by HarajukuB
(like dove's summer glow) -.

Like I said, I tried L'Oreal's version and it didn't make my skin any less pale at all, so I want something along these lines but a LITTLE bit stronger. Have you tried the Dove one?

I thought maybe I'd get recommendations from people who've actually tried them, I guess I forgot how insecure and frightened most TSRians are.
Reply 11
Original post by thatsyouropinion
Have you tried the Dove one?

Yes, I use it all the time- it's really good! I buy the one for med-dark skin (though I'm obviously not, hence me actually buying it)- I know what you mean about the light ones, they don't do anything! Just remember to really blend it in.
Reply 12
Yeah good one people. A good self-tan/moisturiser makes you look slightly golden, not like OMG FAKE TAN that you see on chav girls on Snog, Marry, Avoid, just a little less pasty and unwell.

I don't want the health risks associated with a sun bed, SuspectPenguin. And my arms and legs are naturally quite dark and hold the tan from the summer, for some reason my face doesn't.

Well "that'syouropinion", but most people will think you're a massive vagina.
A streaky coloured one at that.
Try this one Click

That's for the face, you can get full body stuff. It works and it smells nice also. I wouldn't recommend self tan for guys though, sometimes they look a bit dorky, but if you really want to do it I'd recommend that one.
Original post by django5
Well "that'syouropinion", but most people will think you're a massive vagina.
A streaky coloured one at that.

Like I said, I want to use a subtle one that builds up a slight tan so that I'm just not so pasty.

So 99% of people won't even know, and it definitely won't be some streaky ****.

Sorry if that doesn't fit with your dated, narrow-minded view of manhood.
Reply 15

Like I said, I want to use a subtle one that builds up a slight tan so that I'm just not so pasty.

So 99% of people won't even know, and it definitely won't be some streaky ****.

Sorry if that doesn't fit with your dated, narrow-minded view of manhood.

Listen fella, part of manhood is learning to accept one's self. Who cares if you're pale? Rock it with all your might. Don't go spending money to look like you've been in the sun. We live in a country that's cold, it's generally how we normally look. Pale =/= unhealthy.

Sooner people realise this, the better.
Reply 16
Please please don't!!!
I wouldn't suggest fake tanning, and also you shouldn't use just regular tan for your face as your face is sensitive it can be dangerous.
If you must do this, I would suggest using Dove Moisturiser with a hint of tanning lotion. And get the darkest one.
I use this sometimes and one coat will usually make a major difference, I often get compliments for my 'bronze' and 'tanned' skin. It won't leave you with streaks (if you apply it correctly) and it won't make you look like an oompa-loopma.

Quick Reply

Latest