The Student Room Group

Is Government and Politics A level very popular??

Hello, i have my college enrollment tomorrow and i really need to change my choice of maths (i hate it, as a subject) to government and politics. However ive heard that the government and politics course is really really popular, so do i even stand a chance of getting onto it?? I dont want to brag but i am really into politics and i am a political party youth member. I have been to several youth meetings and participate at a few hustings in the pervious election. Should i tell them my experience or will this not help at all? Is there a waiting list for the course.

Also, i still want to do physics as one of my options, and i know not having maths is not advised. But i really dont want to do maths as a subject and i will be prepared to do the extra work for physics (i got an A in GCSE physics).

Thanks, Alex :smile:
Reply 1
Bump :smile:
Original post by TopGearRules
Hello, i have my college enrollment tomorrow and i really need to change my choice of maths (i hate it, as a subject) to government and politics. However ive heard that the government and politics course is really really popular, so do i even stand a chance of getting onto it?? I dont want to brag but i am really into politics and i am a political party youth member. I have been to several youth meetings and participate at a few hustings in the pervious election. Should i tell them my experience or will this not help at all? Is there a waiting list for the course.

Also, i still want to do physics as one of my options, and i know not having maths is not advised. But i really dont want to do maths as a subject and i will be prepared to do the extra work for physics (i got an A in GCSE physics).

Thanks, Alex :smile:

Depends on your college. There isn't a national quota. They may let you on because of your political involvement or they may not because it wasn't your first choice course.
Reply 3
Original post by TopGearRules
Bump :smile:

As said above it will depend on your college.

The idea of a quota on a subject at my old sixth form is laughable! As long as you had the required grades you could take what you wanted (unless there were too FEW people doing it...). But of course this is a very specific thing.

I would definitely mention your passion for politics. When they ask you to explain why you want to change you can say that you have had some time to really think about it since completing your GCSEs and decided that politics would be much more suited to you, links well with your passions and could help you with your future options as well.

I would try and avoid being negative about maths and focus on being positive about Govt. and Pol., because this stops them from thinking you're just picking it randomly to avoid maths.

Good luck!
xxx
Reply 4
Original post by yahyahyahs
Depends on your college. There isn't a national quota. They may let you on because of your political involvement or they may not because it wasn't your first choice course.

I did have it as a 5th subject before but the physics woman who i had at the interview insisted i dropped it for maths which i didnt want to do!! Thanks for the reply :smile:

Original post by kpwxx
As said above it will depend on your college.

The idea of a quota on a subject at my old sixth form is laughable! As long as you had the required grades you could take what you wanted (unless there were too FEW people doing it...). But of course this is a very specific thing.

I would definitely mention your passion for politics. When they ask you to explain why you want to change you can say that you have had some time to really think about it since completing your GCSEs and decided that politics would be much more suited to you, links well with your passions and could help you with your future options as well.

I would try and avoid being negative about maths and focus on being positive about Govt. and Pol., because this stops them from thinking you're just picking it randomly to avoid maths.

Good luck!
xxx

Hey, i think my college has a system where once a subject is full they try to put you onto a course which you'll probably wont like!! I will defiantly tell them how passionate i am about politics and i will bring some proof of what ive done :smile: To be honest it will be the colleges loss (and mine too) if i get an E in maths when i could had got a much better grade in government and politics! Ahh well i will just have to see tomorrow! Thank you :smile: x

Has anyone else had trouble getting into government and politics at their college?
It was popular at my college because:

A) The tutor was amazing
B) In the second year there was a trip to New York.
Reply 6
Thanks for all your replies, i really appreciate them :smile:

Hopefully ill be able to take: Geography (got an A in gcse), economics (never took it but it seems interesting!), Government and Politics (got an A in citizenship at gcse) and Physics (got an A in gcse, but only taking it for AS).

I just want to make sure that these choices are manageable, and if physics is okay to do without maths if im only doing it for AS level?? Also where can these options lead me onto Uni degrees (ive never really looked into it)?

Thanks once again, Alex :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending