The Student Room Group

Politics or History?

Hello my name is Stephanie and I am in my final uear of secondary school. I really want to go into politics when I am older but I have a bit of a problem chosing what to do?
I want to go to one college and choose Politics, Economics and RE.
But at a sixth form they do not do politics but are encouraging me to do history as an alternative.
The sixth form is more supportive as there are less people in a class and I already know the teachers.
I am thinking of just buying a politics revision guide and and if I am really bothered I can learn it myself plus keeping up with current affairs like I already do.

If someone could let me know what they think, that would be amazing.
Thank you.
Original post by stephaniebelle
Hello my name is Stephanie and I am in my final uear of secondary school. I really want to go into politics when I am older but I have a bit of a problem chosing what to do?
But at a sixth form they do not do politics but are encouraging me to do history as an alternative.
The sixth form is more supportive as there are less people in a class and I already know the teachers.
I am thinking of just buying a politics revision guide and and if I am really bothered I can learn it myself plus keeping up with current affairs like I already do.

Thank you.

I'm voluntarily throwing spanners into the works:

Should you decide to do politics as a degree, you would only need A Levels in 3 subjects of your choice so long you get the grades

The degree in politics is useful should you wish to become a political analyst or political research in academia- as far as I know

Most prime ministers in the past 100 or so years have had a PPE from Oxford, and the entry requirements are AAA in any subjects with maths being a preferred subject, although maths A Level is not required.

If you do get into politics (which is competitive in itself), please help make sure things don't get any worse.

Thank you.

Hi there,

Politics isn't essential for univeristy or jobs, I'd say that background knowledge of subjects like history, RE and economics would be so much more helpful so I wouldn't worry about ti too much if you prefer this sixth form. I'd also recommend trying to get into different forms of experience e.g. contacting your MP

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by MindMax2000
I'm voluntarily throwing spanners into the works:

Should you decide to do politics as a degree, you would only need A Levels in 3 subjects of your choice so long you get the grades

The degree in politics is useful should you wish to become a political analyst or political research in academia- as far as I know

Most prime ministers in the past 100 or so years have had a PPE from Oxford, and the entry requirements are AAA in any subjects with maths being a preferred subject, although maths A Level is not required.

If you do get into politics (which is competitive in itself), please help make sure things don't get any worse.

Thank you very much,
I understand everything you have said, and I completely agree.
If I do enter politics I will do everything in my power to do the best by the people.

Thank you
Stephanie
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there,

Politics isn't essential for univeristy or jobs, I'd say that background knowledge of subjects like history, RE and economics would be so much more helpful so I wouldn't worry about ti too much if you prefer this sixth form. I'd also recommend trying to get into different forms of experience e.g. contacting your MP

All the best,

That is just what I needed to hear!
Thank you very much and for your other advise.

Sincerely
Stephanie
Reply 5
Just be aware that 'a degree in Politics' is not a training course for How to be a Politician and no-one cares what degree you have when your name is on the ballot.
That is just what I needed to hear!
Thank you very much and for your other advise.

Sincerely
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

Happy to help! Please let me know if you need any more advice on how to make the most of your time in education!

All the best,

Quick Reply

Latest