The Student Room Group

Subject selection

Hey, I have like 2 As, 1 B, and a "C" in my O-levels. I do plan to retake this paper, as I have to appear for two other subjects as well. I am planning to take law at A-level, but I am very confused about the subjects I should select that will complement law. And would be acceptable at universities.
Original post by Inara_
Hey, I have like 2 As, 1 B, and a "C" in my O-levels. I do plan to retake this paper, as I have to appear for two other subjects as well. I am planning to take law at A-level, but I am very confused about the subjects I should select that will complement law. And would be acceptable at universities.

Hi there :hi:
Not too sure about law so I've popped your thread into the forum for a-levels hopefully this will help you get a few more responses :yy:
:bump:
Original post by Inara_

Hi @Inara_,

Here I listed some A-level subjects you could choose which I think would complement a future Law degree. These subjects would be attractive to universities in different ways, which I have outlined below:

1. English Literature: Strong communication and analytical skills are crucial in law. English Literature can help you develop these skills while also enhancing your understanding of written texts.

2. History: Law often intersects with history, as legal systems are influenced by historical context.Understanding political structures, ideologies, and governance can be beneficial for anyone interested in law and how the legal system interacts with society.

3. Politics/Government and Politics: Understanding political structures, ideologies, and governance can be beneficial for anyone interested in law and how the legal system interacts with society.

4. Economics: A solid understanding of economics can be valuable in areas like contract law, business law, and understanding economic implications of legal decisions.

5. Mathematics or Further Mathematics: While not always directly related to law, strong analytical skills gained from studying mathematics can be valuable in legal reasoning and problem-solving.

6. Philosophy or Critical Thinking: Philosophy develops critical thinking and argumentation skills, which are essential in legal analysis and constructing persuasive arguments.

7. Modern Languages: If you're considering international law or law with an international focus, studying a modern language can be advantageous.

Remember that while these subjects can be beneficial, many universities value a well-rounded education. It's also important to achieve strong grades in the subjects you choose. Research the specific entry requirements of the universities you're interested in now and consider subjects that align with your interests and strengths. This way you have a great head start into understanding the career path you want to work towards!

Wishing you the best of luck,
Ellie
Reply 3
Original post by UniofChester Rep
Hi @Inara_,

Here I listed some A-level subjects you could choose which I think would complement a future Law degree. These subjects would be attractive to universities in different ways, which I have outlined below:

1. English Literature: Strong communication and analytical skills are crucial in law. English Literature can help you develop these skills while also enhancing your understanding of written texts.

2. History: Law often intersects with history, as legal systems are influenced by historical context.Understanding political structures, ideologies, and governance can be beneficial for anyone interested in law and how the legal system interacts with society.

3. Politics/Government and Politics: Understanding political structures, ideologies, and governance can be beneficial for anyone interested in law and how the legal system interacts with society.

4. Economics: A solid understanding of economics can be valuable in areas like contract law, business law, and understanding economic implications of legal decisions.

5. Mathematics or Further Mathematics: While not always directly related to law, strong analytical skills gained from studying mathematics can be valuable in legal reasoning and problem-solving.

6. Philosophy or Critical Thinking: Philosophy develops critical thinking and argumentation skills, which are essential in legal analysis and constructing persuasive arguments.

7. Modern Languages: If you're considering international law or law with an international focus, studying a modern language can be advantageous.

Remember that while these subjects can be beneficial, many universities value a well-rounded education. It's also important to achieve strong grades in the subjects you choose. Research the specific entry requirements of the universities you're interested in now and consider subjects that align with your interests and strengths. This way you have a great head start into understanding the career path you want to work towards!

Wishing you the best of luck,
Ellie

Thankyou so much Ellie. This will help me a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest