The Student Room Group

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Hello I haven't posted here in forever!!! - I applied to medicine in the 2012/2013 cycle but didn't get the grades to meet my offer at Manchester and was offered an AAB course after my interview with Sheffield (probably because I was a crazy mess at my interview; wouldn't take me either). I'm considering applying again in this UCAS cycle but was wondering if it would even be worth it - even if I had strong extracurriculars/PS and a high UKCAT would I be rejected by most unis without an interview by virtue of the fact that I don't have an AAA?
Reply 1101
Is it hard to get AAA?
Original post by xadmin
Is it hard to get AAA?

Depends what you do, I heard.
Original post by intoruins
Hello I haven't posted here in forever!!! - I applied to medicine in the 2012/2013 cycle but didn't get the grades to meet my offer at Manchester and was offered an AAB course after my interview with Sheffield (probably because I was a crazy mess at my interview; wouldn't take me either). I'm considering applying again in this UCAS cycle but was wondering if it would even be worth it - even if I had strong extracurriculars/PS and a high UKCAT would I be rejected by most unis without an interview by virtue of the fact that I don't have an AAA?

I don't think you should reapply, that would mean taking a gap year with grades getting higher and higher every year (about 2-3 years ago, AAB was still widely accepted by UK med courses). Have you considered NUS? You're from Singapore right?
Hello everyone. :smile:

Does anyone know what us international applicants are meant to do when we reach the stage of specialty training? I tried researching it but I don't really understand. :colondollar:

http://www.mmc.nhs.uk/specialty_training/specialty_training_2012/overseas_applicants/guidance_for_overseas_applican.aspx

For instance, in the website above, it says:

"You are eligible to be considered for specialty training (including GP) in both Round 1 and Round 2 if:
You are a non-UK or non-EEA national, you graduated from a UK medical or dental school, your immigration status currently entitles you to work in the Foundation Programme and where you would have previously been eligible for Tier 1 (PSW). You will need to apply for Tier 2 sponsorship, but you will be exempt from the Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) in this instance."

That seems to imply we're eligible to apply for specialty training without going through the RLMT if we graduate from a UK medical school. What I don't understand is the bit about immigration status..if Tier 1 was still around would we be eligible for that?

I'm also confused about the bit before the above which is:

"Other non-UK or non-EEA nationals with limited leave to remain in the UK, whose employment will require a Tier 2 visa, are subject to the resident labour market test. This would include, for example, doctors on student visas or Tier 1 Points-Based System who are restricted from taking employment as a doctor in training".

I just don't understand. I know I probably sound really ignorant and stupid but all this immigration stuff is so confusing. Basically, if an international applicant graduates from a UK medical school are they subject to the RLMT? I know that if we are subject to it, specialty training is close to impossible because of preference to the UK and EU nationals.
Original post by cat-lover
x

Intl' with Tier 4, graduated from UK uni, worked as FY1+2 in UK under postgraduate Tier 4, does not need to undergo RLMT.

but i'll bet you anything that this will change in 5 years time, so what's the point wondering about it now. Just prepare for the worst case scenario?
Original post by hslakaal
Intl' with Tier 4, graduated from UK uni, worked as FY1+2 in UK under postgraduate Tier 4, does not need to undergo RLMT.

but i'll bet you anything that this will change in 5 years time, so what's the point wondering about it now. Just prepare for the worst case scenario?

Alright, thanks. :smile: I guess I'll have to prepare for the worst case scenario. :/ Although if we're already in the medicine course would any changes affect us? I was under the impression they wouldn't.
Alright, thanks. :smile: I guess I'll have to prepare for the worst case scenario. :/ Although if we're already in the medicine course would any changes affect us? I was under the impression they wouldn't.

Of course it will. Why wouldn't it?

None of us have voting rights in the UK, so why the heck would politicians bother being kind to us if giving jobs to locals earns them more votes? What harsh reprimand would they get?

Nothing.
Original post by hslakaal
Of course it will. Why wouldn't it?

None of us have voting rights in the UK, so why the heck would politicians bother being kind to us if giving jobs to locals earns them more votes? What harsh reprimand would they get?

Nothing.

I see. I dunno, I just thought any changes affect future applicants and not those currently going through the process..I guess I've been pretty misinformed in that sense. Do you think international students would apply to the UK in the future if the rules then state they can't apply for specialty training? As far as I understand, this also includes GP. Would they ever change the rules to stop international students from being able to apply for specialty training? I think that's pretty much a worst case scenario..or not being able to apply for undergraduate.
I see. I dunno, I just thought any changes affect future applicants and not those currently going through the process..I guess I've been pretty misinformed in that sense. Do you think international students would apply to the UK in the future if the rules then state they can't apply for specialty training? As far as I understand, this also includes GP. Would they ever change the rules to stop international students from being able to apply for specialty training? I think that's pretty much a worst case scenario..or not being able to apply for undergraduate.

Without sounding offensive, you have gotta become a bit more cynical.

Again, I have no idea on whether they will or not, but what would hinder them if they want to?
Reply 1110
Hi all, what are my chances at KCL if my UKCAT is 650 average? I have 10A*s at GCSE though, I hear that this sort of makes up for it?? :s-smilie:
Reply 1111
Original post by 11leungl2
Anyone from Hong Kong and doing IB this year? :smile:

Yes! studying in ESF :smile:
Reply 1112
Original post by JNC0206
Hi all, what are my chances at KCL if my UKCAT is 650 average? I have 10A*s at GCSE though, I hear that this sort of makes up for it?? :s-smilie:

I have 10 A*s and UKCAT of 645 so similar to you. I'm not applying because even though people with those stats were accepted last year, its still very risky. I'd recommend you apply to the GCSE heavy schools.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Original post by JNC0206
Yes! studying in ESF :smile:

Woho! Me too :smile: I go to KGV, which school are you in?
Original post by lala12
I have 10 A*s and UKCAT of 645 so similar to you. I'm not applying because even though people with those stats were accepted last year, its still very risky. I'd recommend you apply to the GCSE heavy schools.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000

Hi, I wish to know which schools are NOT GCSE heavy?
Thanks.:smile:
Original post by Metastasis
Aberdeen interviewed mid Feb in Singapore :smile:

And Newcastle didn't have enough interview slots in Malaysia so I had to do my interview in UK. A few had the same too! :smile:

Hi what were your IGCSE results and AS results?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending