The Student Room Group

Single Sex Schools Vs Mixed. Your Opinion?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Stopmessing
Do you agree with 'same sex schools'? It might prove better for education, while it also might have a considerable effect on the social side of things (especially if you've been brought up in a single sex school all your life).

What do you prefer? Do you think same sex schools are more efficient for education than mixed? Does it have an effect on the social side of things, or is this a myth? Have you personally been to a single sex school before and want to share your thoughts? Are indeed single sex schools superior?

Post away! :biggrin:

It's hard for most people to comment because they've only done one or the other. I went to a single sex girls school and I'm really glad I did I think it helped me focus on my work more, there were less issues with who was seeing who etc that I imagine might occur in mixed schools. Plus I think all the girls felt like they could just be themselves and we never really wore makeup or anything to school so it helped with feeling at ease.
Btw I went to a mixed college afterwards and the transition was fine too - I didn't feel awkward or anything with boys in the class, it's not like single sex schools are completely isolated from the outside world, we did see boys :smile:
Reply 81
I went to an all girls school. I turned out okay.
I went to a single sex school but a mixed college. Statistics say that I should have achieved better in a single sex environment rather than a mixed. I must have been an anomaly because I performed better in a mixed environment.

The arguments stated to defend single sex schools is that it stops kids from getting distracted. Personally, I think the boys in my class at school were more distracted than they would have been at a mixed school :tongue: Depriving young pubescent boys from mixing with girls in school only makes matters worse. Many boys sat in class drooling over female teachers three times their age. Also, I would say that young boys will always get distracted...whether its lookign out the window or whatever....We can't brick up every wall in hope that kids will stop getting distracted and looking out the window.

I don't really see any valid reasons for single sex education and therefore would have to say that mixed schools are better.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 83
I loved going to a single sex secondary school, I didn't feel like I was 'missing out' on interaction with males because I had a life outside of school :rolleyes: It was nice to openly talk about things with my form group during that awkward phase and it was just a nice environment to be in. Where I live the boys secondary and the girls secondary mix together for 6th form and not many people have problems settling back into mixed schooling
I went to a mixed school until I was 11. Then I went to a single sex school.

I loved single sex. There's nothing to distract you - boys and girls learn very differently, that's be proven again and again and so by separating the genders they're able to cater better to learning needs. It also means you don't get girls (or boys) competing for the other gender's attention.

I'm not denying some might suffer socially, but I don't think there's much damage at all.
Reply 85
Now in my seventh year at my single-sex school, and admittedly what was weird for about the first term of the first year now feels completely normal. I do genuinely think that the work ethic is helped along - someone joining our school in the sixth form commented on how competitive everyone seemed at our school compared to other schools which he had previously attended.
Went to an all boys school; "Dont drop the rubbers!":frown:.
Missed out on the whole sex in the toilets thing..
There are a couple of girls at my school who went to an all-girls school for 4 years and they get on fine, one of them has a boyfriend I think. I don't think they're the biggest problem in our education system what with the Tories (and indeed New Labour) wanting more "faith" schools, not to mention these stupid free schools.

On the other hand, I think it's a bit of a weird idea. I'm also inclined to say it's a bit homophobic to assume that making it a single sex environment eliminates sexual distraction, and I wouldn't be surprised if single sex schools made gay pupils feel more uncomfortable and isolated.
Reply 88
I went to a mixed for primary, a single girls school for secondary and now i'm in a mixed sixth form. Some girls do become boy mad but the majority are fine with talking to boys so i don't see any harm in single sex schools.
Reply 89
Definitely mixed, (I speak from a female POV) girls can be clique-y and bitchy enough in mixed school let alone concentrated into a single-sex school. Yes boys and girls learn at different rates and in different ways but nowadays most modern teachers teach using so many different resources (smartboards/interactive homework as well as the traditional books) that everyone gets the best of both worlds. Plus there's the added argument of being able to "interact" easily with the opposite sex, which I doubt many people would suffer with after being at a single sex school yet if it affects a small number of students, those would be the ones better off in a mixed school! It's a hard topic, personally I would have rather been in a single sex school until year 7 and have possibly got a head start, but that's personal preference! :biggrin:
Reply 90
Original post by derangedyoshi
There are a couple of girls at my school who went to an all-girls school for 4 years and they get on fine, one of them has a boyfriend I think. I don't think they're the biggest problem in our education system what with the Tories (and indeed New Labour) wanting more "faith" schools, not to mention these stupid free schools.

On the other hand, I think it's a bit of a weird idea. I'm also inclined to say it's a bit homophobic to assume that making it a single sex environment eliminates sexual distraction, and I wouldn't be surprised if single sex schools made gay pupils feel more uncomfortable and isolated.

The gays ****in' love it - a male one is known as Boy "Butterfingers" George(for obvious reasons)
I would have personally hated going to an all-boys school. That said, a lot of the highest achieving schools are single sex, and I wonder if this is one of the factors behind their high achievement.
Reply 92
up
Reply 93
bump
Reply 94
up
Reply 95
I can't believe some people actually think going to a single-sex school affects your ability to talk to the other sex. Only a virgin would think this as they seem to think the other sex are some sort of magical unicorn princesses. Once you've actually been laid, you'll realise they're just normal people.

I use to go to a single sex school, and have no more difficulty speaking to women than I do men.
I went to a mixed primary and secondary school, but for sixth form I went to an all girls catholic school- it did have a mixed sixth form but there were literally like two boys. Ha.

To me, I think that mixed schools help you all get along with each other in an everyday environment, communicate etc.

Some girls in the sixth form knew nothing about talking to the opposite sex and would literally freeze up, but I guess this can happen at single sex schools too.

The education quality was better at a single sex school in my case, but I think the social aspect can sometimes leave a lot to be desired- not all the time though, because in my area there is the "X school for girls" and the "X school for boys" so the schools kind of pair up in a way, and meet each other out of school hours.

I think it all depends on the individual though, and I loved my entire education history- from the mixed schools to the single sex school. :'D
Reply 97
up
Reply 98
Am I the only one who didn't spend my education supposedly getting "distracted" by the presence of males within a 50 mile radius?
Reply 99
I went to a girls' grammar school for years 7-13. I personally think i got alot out of the school, although i'm not sure if it was directly because it was single-sex or because i felt the school was right for me.

I never felt deprived of male contact because I did lots of extra-curricular activities which (although the majority were females - music/theatre type things) gave me the ability to treat guys like anyone else.

The biggest shock came when the girls at my school who'd been to girls' schools all their lives went to uni... :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending