The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

We Gone live in Cabins Woop woop!!

Did anybody get this email about living in cabins if you weren't able to secure accommodation?

"As you will be aware from my previous message, the University has received an unparalleled number of requests for help in finding student accommodation this year.
We have put in train a number of measures to create additional, long-term accommodation within the city. Whilst we are preparing this, and to enable everyone to join the University in time for Welcome Week, we are taking the unprecedented step of creating a temporary student village at the heart of the Brayford Campus."

The installation of comfortable, fully serviced, ensuite twin cabins, close to all University amenities and provided with 24/7 on-site security is currently underway. A significant number of cabins will be in place before Sunday and we expect to have the village fully completed by the middle of next week.

does that mean they are building some sort of village within the campus, cuz that would be awesome :biggrin: I don't even know what cabins look like lol.
(edited 12 years ago)
The word "cabins" makes me laugh so hard (i imagine like either wooden huts or caravans...) ...the housing situation is out of control! But it does sound kinda cool, although I'm happy with my Pavilions place XD But where are they building this?? "the heart of the Brayfod Campus"...there's a marina at the heart of Brayford Campus? Are they building them on floating rafts in the middle of the marina? Now that WOULD be awesome. I would love to see how this all develops.

Edit: seen the pictures in the news...wow. They dont look awful, but I hope you dont have to stay in them for long.
(edited 12 years ago)
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
Was on our local news, they look like the grey portacabins you find on building sites, it also looked like they were being put on the car park inbetween the architecture building and the LPAC building. Hope you guys get somewhere soon!
Reply 3
yeah apparently the temporary accommodation isnt gonna be so good :/ fingers crossed for you though! im glad a managed to to bag my room in the student village because it seems a lot of people have been left without accommodation which really isnt good :/
Wow, it doesn't sound like the most ideal situation :/ I don't understand how so many people are without accommodation this year... apparently they didn't half half the problems last year...
Reply 5
I heard you get free cookies...

Not even joking :tongue:
Original post by 1tw
Was on our local news, they look like the grey portacabins you find on building sites, it also looked like they were being put on the car park inbetween the architecture building and the LPAC building. Hope you guys get somewhere soon!

Yup, I moved into Pavs a couple of days ago, and I walked past the new cabins yesterday, that's where they are going.
Original post by Calimboness
Wow, it doesn't sound like the most ideal situation :/ I don't understand how so many people are without accommodation this year... apparently they didn't half half the problems last year...

The reason why is because, they did send out the same number of offers as normal,but the reason why there's a shortage is becuase simply, people did much better in exams this year, which means that fewer people ended up being declined after results day, this could partly be due to the fee rise next year. People tried extra hard to get in this year, rather than pay more next year.

That's pretty much exactly what Lincoln Accom people said too.
Reply 8
Original post by Self-aware PC
Did anybody get this email about living in cabins if you weren't able to secure accommodation?

"As you will be aware from my previous message, the University has received an unparalleled number of requests for help in finding student accommodation this year.
We have put in train a number of measures to create additional, long-term accommodation within the city. Whilst we are preparing this, and to enable everyone to join the University in time for Welcome Week, we are taking the unprecedented step of creating a temporary student village at the heart of the Brayford Campus."

The installation of comfortable, fully serviced, ensuite twin cabins, close to all University amenities and provided with 24/7 on-site security is currently underway. A significant number of cabins will be in place before Sunday and we expect to have the village fully completed by the middle of next week.

does that mean they are building some sort of village within the campus, cuz that would be awesome :biggrin: I don't even know what cabins look like lol.

Cool :smile: :?
Reply 9
Original post by Looose
I heard you get free cookies...

Not even joking :tongue:

If thats any good... :smile:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-14945117

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2011/09/bunk-cabins-for-incoming-lincoln-students-without-accommodation/

unlucky

Edit: how does this deserve neg rep, i simply provided information about the cabins etc, and stated my opinion on them ....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by lozzyhickers
The reason why is because, they did send out the same number of offers as normal,but the reason why there's a shortage is becuase simply, people did much better in exams this year, which means that fewer people ended up being declined after results day, this could partly be due to the fee rise next year. People tried extra hard to get in this year, rather than pay more next year.

That's pretty much exactly what Lincoln Accom people said too.

Thats just bull****. I have a relative who works for them, they basically ****ed up. The people working in student housing have been getting into loads of trouble, they knew at the beginning of the year how much accomodation was needed and they didnt provide.

But to anyone stuck in the cabins, dont worry. I got an offer for Halls yesterday and I got in through clearing so you will be housed soonish :smile:
Original post by wactm
Thats just bull****. I have a relative who works for them, they basically ****ed up. The people working in student housing have been getting into loads of trouble, they knew at the beginning of the year how much accomodation was needed and they didnt provide.

But to anyone stuck in the cabins, dont worry. I got an offer for Halls yesterday and I got in through clearing so you will be housed soonish :smile:

You're assuming that I don't know anyone that works there too, and that other universities don't have the same problem.
We noticed a couple of months ago that Lighthouse Properties seems to have lost its accreditation from the Uni - we assume this means that the Uni won't be considering them when looking for permanent homes for the temporarily housed students. They seem to have plenty of houses available - though to be honest I think I'd prefer the bunkhouses to living in a Lighthouse house again :p:
Reply 14
Original post by getinthevan
We noticed a couple of months ago that Lighthouse Properties seems to have lost its accreditation from the Uni - we assume this means that the Uni won't be considering them when looking for permanent homes for the temporarily housed students. They seem to have plenty of houses available - though to be honest I think I'd prefer the bunkhouses to living in a Lighthouse house again :p:

I don't think anyone could pay me to get a house with lighthouse, my boyfriend had one through them last year and they have messed him around in regards to getting the deposit back and saying he owes money when he clearly doesn't. They're useless and I would advise anyone to avoid them at all costs
Original post by Gnatalie
I don't think anyone could pay me to get a house with lighthouse, my boyfriend had one through them last year and they have messed him around in regards to getting the deposit back and saying he owes money when he clearly doesn't. They're useless and I would advise anyone to avoid them at all costs

Sounds exactly like my experience! We haven't had anything confirmed but we saw they'd removed "Approved by the University of Lincoln" from all their banners...

EDIT : walked past Brayford Quay today and it has "University Approved Development" pasted back on the sign, though that might just refer to the flat complex and not the houses they also rent out.

Still though, seriously go with anyone before Lighthouse.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by getinthevan

Original post by Gnatalie

Lighthouse are a total nightmare, Student Living were pretty good when i was with them though. If freshers are desperate for accommodation they might be worth a ring.
Reply 17
Room in uphill Lincoln (Lindum Road) available as I want to move in with a friend just outside of Lincoln.

Three quarter bed
Wardrobe w/ drawers
Large desk and swivel chair
All utilities plus internet included
Very close to town and university

£69 a week w/ Club Easy

Message me if you're interested or would like to know more!

Quick Reply

Latest