The Student Room Group

HELP! A-level Politics is hard!

Hello guys,

I have recently started A-level and one of the subjects I've chosen is politics, and I found it extremely hard and confusing:s-smilie:, the textbook is so thick and I can't just memorize the whole book like I did in GCSE Engish. Furthermore I am a write-too-many-context-for-homework person and not into politics (that's why I think I will learn during the course) but everyone in my school who are taking the course seem to know absolutely everything about it (all the parties and names and...) and teachers are teaching with the fundamental assumption that everyone should know the very basis which I don't. lol I was so surprised...:frown:
And the teachers give all these confusing analyzing question which I've got no idea how to do it.
I really want to do good at this course and I really appreciate some tips of how to do the course and tips about the exams. (actually I only want to know how to get the grades...):smile:
Reply 1
firstly, what exam board are you? if you feel like you dont know the fundamental stuff, then either ask your teacher during the lesson or see if he/she will explain after the lesson and in most cases they are happy to do that! dont get too worried if you've just started, its always extremelt overwhelming at first, but once you get settled in, you'll be fine. If you're finding the textbooks you've been given to be massive, go to the school library and see if you can find smaller textbooks or revision guides.
politics is a really interesting subject! i absolutely loved it! umm in terms of exam tips, i'd say revise continuously! and answer as many practice essay questions as you can! you'll find that in the exam they sometimes repeat questions or use similar ones and also remember to put down as much details as possible when answering questions as you actually get extra marks for knowledge! hope that helps! :biggrin:
Original post by asas78978
Hello guys,

I have recently started A-level and one of the subjects I've chosen is politics, and I found it extremely hard and confusing:s-smilie:, the textbook is so thick and I can't just memorize the whole book like I did in GCSE Engish. Furthermore I am a write-too-many-context-for-homework person and not into politics (that's why I think I will learn during the course) but everyone in my school who are taking the course seem to know absolutely everything about it (all the parties and names and...) and teachers are teaching with the fundamental assumption that everyone should know the very basis which I don't. lol I was so surprised...:frown:
And the teachers give all these confusing analyzing question which I've got no idea how to do it.
I really want to do good at this course and I really appreciate some tips of how to do the course and tips about the exams. (actually I only want to know how to get the grades...):smile:

The issues I highlighted in bold can be easily solved by just reading a broadsheet or any newspaper every so often. They assume you know the basics because you have to read round the subject - this is A-Level, you aren't handed everything on a silver platter. You have to teach yourself as well.
Like anything, you will have to apply yourself. I tend to tell my students that they can start with zero knowledge - a number of them have and then gone onto study politics at university. Hang in there. Make sure you read your textbook thoroughly, and follow-up anything you don't understand. And watch the news every day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending