The Student Room Group

How difficult English lit?

So my sixth form that I enrolled in told me today that I can’t do politics a level due to scheduling issues so I had to choose English lit instead but I’m a bit worried as a lot of people say it’s quite hard. Is it really that bad? How much memorising would I have to do?
Original post by LK11_
So my sixth form that I enrolled in told me today that I can’t do politics a level due to scheduling issues so I had to choose English lit instead but I’m a bit worried as a lot of people say it’s quite hard. Is it really that bad? How much memorising would I have to do?

i do aqa eng lit a-level and tbh its just as hard as other a-levels like none of them easy--i would say though u definitley have to like to some extent, even if ur not fully comfortable with, lots of reading and writing..all of ur questions will be essays...in terms of memorising , you wont have to know every text at the same level, not all of the course so like for me : there is 2 sides to the course i am doing: comedy and political/social protest and all my texts on comedy are closed book so i will prob have to try to learn more stuff for it and for the protest side all texts are open book so u will have access to the texts e.g: novel, play, poetry collection etc...although personally for me i am going to still learn stuff for closed book side as i dont want to waste time during the hall ...i mean i think the question u need to ask is how do u feel about eng lit as a whole ---if u enjoy it , the memorisation stuff will get easier---i mean u arent going to be able to nor are u supposed to memorise everything...u have to just choose teh quotes , themes etc that are the main ones and relevant to lots of topics
i will say this it is definitley a very content heavy subject and it is a lot more subjective than stem subjects and some others...there is no guarantee if u add something in a essay u will get a mark for it because its how u write as well as what...some people really dont like that
i would say make an informed decision..look at ur schools syllabus for eng lit a-level and watch videos etc so u can be sure ...rather than picking it cause ur forced to or not picking it as ur are scared....u might find u rlly love it
hope this helps.....:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Chickenunicorn17
i do aqa eng lit a-level and tbh its just as hard as other a-levels like none of them easy--i would say though u definitley have to like to some extent, even if ur not fully comfortable with, lots of reading and writing..all of ur questions will be essays...in terms of memorising , you wont have to know every text at the same level, not all of the course so like for me : there is 2 sides to the course i am doing: comedy and political/social protest and all my texts on comedy are closed book so i will prob have to try to learn more stuff for it and for the protest side all texts are open book so u will have access to the texts e.g: novel, play, poetry collection etc...although personally for me i am going to still learn stuff for closed book side as i dont want to waste time during the hall ...i mean i think the question u need to ask is how do u feel about eng lit as a whole ---if u enjoy it , the memorisation stuff will get easier---i mean u arent going to be able to nor are u supposed to memorise everything...u have to just choose teh quotes , themes etc that are the main ones and relevant to lots of topics
i will say this it is definitley a very content heavy subject and it is a lot more subjective than stem subjects and some others...there is no guarantee if u add something in a essay u will get a mark for it because its how u write as well as what...some people really dont like that
i would say make an informed decision..look at ur schools syllabus for eng lit a-level and watch videos etc so u can be sure ...rather than picking it cause ur forced to or not picking it as ur are scared....u might find u rlly love it
hope this helps.....:smile:

Thank you so much. I think I’ll do some more research on the course as you said but this really reassured me.
Original post by LK11_
Thank you so much. I think I’ll do some more research on the course as you said but this really reassured me.

ur welcome and glad i helped.

Quick Reply

Latest