The Student Room Group

Alevel politics

Do you think I need to have a active interest in politics in order to do well or can I just gain knowledge from the revision guides?
Good question. Politics A-Level is a hard one. I don't think you have to be interested, but you have to be willing to stay updated with contemporary examples of what you're studying (in the news) and make sense of the theories and facts you learn. So, I would say it depends on if you can put effort into something that you're not really interested in. Cos some people are great at that, and me, I'm not.
Hope that made sense :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks for the advice. What A-levels are you taking?

Original post by notyaaverage
Good question. Politics A-Level is a hard one. I don't think you have to be interested, but you have to be willing to stay updated with contemporary examples of what you're studying (in the news) and make sense of the theories and facts you learn. So, I would say it depends on if you can put effort into something that you're not really interested in. Cos some people are great at that, and me, I'm not.
Hope that made sense :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
No worries.
I am taking Politics, RE and Sociology! A wholeeee lot of essays, but I wouldn't change it (minus Sociology maybe 🤣)
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by notyaaverage
No worries.
I am taking Politics, RE and Sociology! A wholeeee lot of essays, but I wouldn't change it (minus Sociology maybe 🤣)

Mines kinda the same but instead I’m taking law instead of RE. I’m might replace politics for philosophy but i just dk what I’ll most likely enjoy 🤷
(edited 8 months ago)
Well I would defo say keep on looking at the specs for the subjects, and really deep the fact that you're gonna be doing that for the next 2 years. A-Levels are hard period, but think about whether this subject will give you any motivation at all, or whether you'll want to either pursue it later, or if you'll use it in your life in general (it helps you to understand society, the world, etc)
And Philosophy while very interesting (I do it, as part of RE), is focused a lot on God, and people less, whereas Politics is people more, God WAYYY less, PMs and Presidents seem to be god there 🙄😂
So think about that, do you want to learn more about God and moral attitudes in society (which is really interesting) or the institutions, words and events that have knock-on effects in society?

Quick Reply

Latest