The Student Room Group

Conservative health policies

Really need to know about why some of the conservative health policies are pragmatic, have done some, but honestly have no idea how to explain why they are pragmatic??

PLEASE HELP!!!:frown:
Original post by pinkfreekyfrog
Really need to know about why some of the conservative health policies are pragmatic, have done some, but honestly have no idea how to explain why they are pragmatic??

PLEASE HELP!!!:frown:

Looking at the healthcare policies on the Conservative Party website, I can only dissect two 'pragmatic' policies:

-"We are putting patients in charge of making decisions about their care, including control of their health records": this is pragmatic because it is sensitive to the overwhelming practical difficulties which the NHS is suffering at the moment. Essentially, demand is exceeding supply. This extra flexibility will reduce the roles and responsibilities placed on NHS staff.

-"We are abolishing strategic health care authorities and primary care trusts": this is pragmatic because it is sensitive to the overwhelming level of bureaucracy within the NHS.

However, the true meaning of pragmatism is to put practical considerations over ideological values. I don't think I can find a single policy in this list which meets that criterion. So the two examples I have stated only really meet the one half of pragmatism (practical considerations). Neither goes against Conservative Party ideology, and I think you will be very hard pressed to find ones which do.

http://www.conservatives.com/Policy/Where_we_stand/Health.aspx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending