The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did it.. some of them questions were weird and i blanked. i've mixed up a lot of questions i think. but thank goodness for the show it's this questions
the electromagnetic forces question was really nice i thought

we were told as well that nuclear fusion wouldn't be in the long answer questions n it was.. thank goodness i revised it a lot
Reply 2
yea, well i didnt really get to the second hal paper properly cos was panicking about the first half lol! i completely messed it up! doh!
Reply 3
It was quite a tough paper this year, did as much of it as I can few questions were Ok some were deadends. Not satisfied either way with what ever grade I get. My first question answer was way off according to my calculations the accelation of the ball was 150ms-2.
The whole electric field question was a waste I didnt get what I was supposed to do with those angles and could not get the answers they wanted.

Usually I would have a rough guess on my grade but have no idea here, lets hope for lower grade bounderies.
Reply 4
most of the questions were show that e.g. the frequency is 5Hz, i coudnt do this one for some reason, the first question kind of made me think until i realised it was talking about momentum, i guess that the grade boudaries will have to be decreased, for june 2005 to get an A was only 62/90! i hope its that low this year
Reply 5
I totally failed that paper!!! It was horrible, every time i turned the page i just hoped it would get better but it just got worse and worse. Oh well bring on the resit.
Reply 6
did anybody do the unifying concepts in physics paper today, i did it after the forces fields and energy paper, it was like a breath of fresh air, i felt much better about the day after it.
i can't believe you are all so despondent about it!

i thought it was a great paper :frown:

apart from the thing on deflection

i didnt know what that was all about
Reply 8
that paper was stupidly hard!!! i actually dont even think i managed to get a grade!! i got 150 for the acceleration of the cricket ball aswell, but doesnt it seem a bit too much! there were loads of stupid questions like that tube question about solids or sumit..seriously, why do they make this module sooo hard!! :frown: but as soon as i came out of the exam, i went to check UCAS track, and i finally recieved my first offer!! im soo happy :biggrin:
Daban: I could not get the right answer to that frequency question, either. I tried using: a = -(2πf)² x, but that did not seem to work.

Was the grade boundary really that low last year? :cool: I hope it will be low again this time. :frown:

Also, parts of the question which combined the gravitational and electric force fields threw me. And the second half of the question on specific heat capacity. :confused:

oldmansteptoe: I thought the deflection was due to constant centripetal acceleration causing the uniform circular motion of the accelerometer.
Reply 10
The circle one was the best! It basically just wanted a definition for centripetal force and then just using a=v²/r.

For the frequency thing, looking at the acceleration/displacement graph you see a=50ms-2 and x=50mm(0.05m).
a=-(2πf)²x
a=4π²f²x
f²=√(a/4π²x)
f=√(250/π²)
f=5.03 = 5

Not sure if it was right though, the best question had to be that Rutherfield alpha particle thing, best 7 marks.
Malik: Oh dear! That is extremely embarrassing. Your method was exactly what I tried but I rearranged incorrectly... I am clearly going to struggle to pass Further Mathematics. :frown:

At least I will have got some method marks. :rolleyes:

I agree about the Rutherford experiment question, though. :biggrin:
Reply 12
the paper wasnt THAT bad... I screwed up on how to find the Specific Heat Capacity of Aluminium.. and I am very unsure about the nuclear bit last few steps. I LOVED the essay its my forté heh n I thought the essay would let me down. I liked that most of the questions were "prove this" so I knew I was wrong :smile: although I only got one differnet, and I got it right after a little fiddling.

The circle one messed me up I forget that one of them was millimeters and one was meters, althoguh I got it right in the end :smile: when I checked through in like the 5 mins at the end!!

Hope you all get good news come results :smile:
Reply 13
9 of us for the exam. 8 turned up ( 1 came late)

None of us could do Q1 (but I got 150ms-2 somewhere). We all got stuck on the electric fields/point charges. And I HATE equations with 'e' in them.
We're putting it down to the fact our normal lecturer had a nervous breakdown after our AS results and we had an Oxford/Cambridge professor for the first half term - who was absolutely fascinating and knowledgeable but I still haven't got a clue what he was going on about.
I counted up my definate lost marks (27) so if I keep my fingers, toes and internal organs crossed that absolutely everything else I wrote was correct I'm looking at 63/90 (wishful thinking)
Oh well, resit time for me then.
Reply 14
Daban [daboo], i thought that this paper was aite... but i screwed up the unifying concepts paper, as i messed up the capacitor q... about 9 marks lost there... aargh :mad:
It wasn't as bad as I had expected from the mocks we did. However, I did get a U in the mock so that's not saying much :p:

I thought the 'show that..' questions were a bit of a gift, at least you knew then if you'd worked it out wrong and could go back and re-do it, whereas normally I lose all my marks on stupid calculation errors :rolleyes:

Still, not as terrible as I expected. But I'll probably end up resitting anyway! What's everyone else doing for their options modules by the way? Health physics all the way :cool:
I didn't think the paper was as bad as some of the mocks I received. We'll see what happens.

We've just started our option module of "Nuclear and Particle Physics". Fascinating stuff. :biggrin:
Reply 17
yea i think now looking back the q's weren't that bad, i just keep going into exams with no sleep an blanking out and panicking if i have to actually think about what they are asking for!.
apparently the last question was to do with positron decay, which occurs during that particular fusion process, which isnt supposed to be in this module, so our head of physics is writing to ocr to give them some **** :smile:
Really? I just wrote about binding energy for the last one, then drew a little graph cos I didn't think I could explain it well enough in words :rolleyes:

Latest