The Student Room Group

Help please computer sci! :s

HI! Need some desperate help. I want to study Comp Sci at Manchester, they want AAB. And I am predicted that in History(A), Maths (A) and Business Studies (B), however I do not know how to write a Personal Statement, considering only Maths is relevant? do yu think I should talk about the dot com boom and the impact of computers etc? I have very few ECs and no work experience other than a part time job? Do i stand a chance of an offer, thanks!!
Reply 1
Original post by srascal8
HI! Need some desperate help. I want to study Comp Sci at Manchester, they want AAB. And I am predicted that in History(A), Maths (A) and Business Studies (B), however I do not know how to write a Personal Statement, considering only Maths is relevant? do yu think I should talk about the dot com boom and the impact of computers etc? I have very few ECs and no work experience other than a part time job? Do i stand a chance of an offer, thanks!!

No, don't write about the dotcom bubble. That's more IT than compsci.

Try this, then if you like it write about your experiences with it and what other studies it inspired you to. Otherwise drop the application and choose something that you actually like.
Reply 2

Try this, then if you like it write about your experiences with it and what other studies it inspired you to. Otherwise drop the application and choose something that you actually like.

Cheers for that, looking at the videos now, would a course at Manchester include those 10 or so topics?
Reply 3

Cheers for that, looking at the videos now, would a course at Manchester include those 10 or so topics?

Yes, but not necessarily in the same order or in the same year.
BTW to reply to messages you can use the 'quote' button :smile:
Reply 4
there appears to be a large group of people who appear to want to do comp sci, even they know nothing about it. If you've never even done some programming, choose something else
Reply 5
Original post by roblee
Yes, but not necessarily in the same order or in the same year.
BTW to reply to messages you can use the 'quote' button :smile:

Clicked the wrong thing haha, cheers man, stanford uni are really helpful tbh, would be nice if oxford did them videos
Reply 6
'Computer scientists need to enjoy problem–solving, and be able to think logically and beyond what they're taught. We don't require any qualifications in computer science or any prior knowledge of programming. However, since the subject has strong mathematical groundings, it's essential to have Mathematics at A Level/IB Higher Level. Science subjects are also viewed favourably often more so than subjects such as IT, which are more vocational in nature.'
Reply 7
Original post by lubus
there appears to be a large group of people who appear to want to do comp sci, even they know nothing about it. If you've never even done some programming, choose something else

Well, i've taken maths and further maths, thats a bit like saying to someone who wants to study medicine, 'sorry, you havent practised on a patient, don't do medicine', even if they took A2 bio, chem and maths.
Reply 8
Original post by lubus

Not necessary because unis usually state on their websites that they don't require applicants to have any prior knowledge of programming whatsoever. However, I don't know how I would write my CS personal statement if I hadn't done any playing with coding before. The unis require you to show passion for CS and this can be a quite difficult thing to do if you don't know much about it.
Reply 9
Original post by WaNaBe

Original post by mat21

He may be trolling, but he's effectively right. Universities say they don't expect you to be able to program but at most of the top ones there are no introductory courses for non-programmers. Freshers who don't know how to program have maybe a couple of weeks to self-teach what the other students have been doing for months/years/decades.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Well, i've taken maths and further maths, thats a bit like saying to someone who wants to study medicine, 'sorry, you havent practised on a patient, don't do medicine', even if they took A2 bio, chem and maths.

You didn't state in your first post that you were doing further maths. Maths is the thing that you can end up talking about a lot in a CS personal statement because universities (especially the top ones) like applicants with strong maths background (doing further maths partially shows this).
Reply 11
Original post by mat21
You didn't state in your first post that you were doing further maths. Maths is the thing that you can end up talking about a lot in a CS personal statement because universities (especially the top ones) like applicants with strong maths background (doing further maths partially shows this).

Well essentially im doing just an AS in FM this year, but still, they don't require science subjects, just maths, so it should be broadly related to maths, and also, how much of a comp sci degree is computer programming?
Reply 12

only you can try coding something for free without any consequences or risk?

I know universities dont require you to actually know a language, but its obviously 100 times better to know one, as you will be better prepared and also show an interest in the subject. I also dont understand how you can want to do comp sci when you've never coded anything. seriously, try writing smth, and if you dont think you will enjoy it consider changing your intentions.
Original post by lubus
only you can try coding something for free without any consequences or risk?

I know universities dont require you to actually know a language, but its obviously 100 times better to know one, as you will be better prepared and also show an interest in the subject. I also dont understand how you can want to do comp sci when you've never coded anything. seriously, try writing smth, and if you dont think you will enjoy it consider changing your intentions.

I hadn't done much programming when I applied (once I'd decided I wanted to do cs, I spent a little time over the summer teaching myslef python, but didn't really get into it). I was naturally at a bit of a disadvantage for some of the programming modules (and I don't really enjoy it that much, so I wasn't spending more time than necessary programming). However, I've really enjoyed most of my degree, and certainly believe that computer science was absolutely the right subject to study. I recognise that I may have been lucky in ending up on a fairly theoretical course, but Computer Science is such a broad field that you should be able to study it without having a passion for programming (I admit you need (at least on any course which exists) to have some tolerance for it), and it's certainly acceptable to apply at a stage where you don't know your feelings for it, since you're probably not going to despise it, and could well develop a passion for it.

Obviously if you have lots of experience with programming, and know that you love it, then that's a plus, but it's not something the majority of candidates will do. Mathematical ability (and enjoyment), and a general interest in computers and technology should be sufficient.
Reply 14
Original post by fat_hampster
I hadn't done much programming when I applied (once I'd decided I wanted to do cs, I spent a little time over the summer teaching myslef python, but didn't really get into it). I was naturally at a bit of a disadvantage for some of the programming modules (and I don't really enjoy it that much, so I wasn't spending more time than necessary programming). However, I've really enjoyed most of my degree, and certainly believe that computer science was absolutely the right subject to study. I recognise that I may have been lucky in ending up on a fairly theoretical course, but Computer Science is such a broad field that you should be able to study it without having a passion for programming (I admit you need (at least on any course which exists) to have some tolerance for it), and it's certainly acceptable to apply at a stage where you don't know your feelings for it, since you're probably not going to despise it, and could well develop a passion for it.

Obviously if you have lots of experience with programming, and know that you love it, then that's a plus, but it's not something the majority of candidates will do. Mathematical ability (and enjoyment), and a general interest in computers and technology should be sufficient.

Cheers, this whole thread is to help a friend to be honest. He just doesn't know how to write his personal statement, he's started HTML, I think, I that's any help?
I understand where everyone is coming from, and I was surprised too. He told me wanted to do Maths and Finance, but then he said he doesn't have a passion for fianance/economics/business, and drastically changed to CompSci, claiming to love computers, and in particular computer programming.
I don't think the programming thing matters too much, some places prefer you to have some experience but most want to teach it their way, so they may teach it differently to the way you learn and there will always be some people on the course that have no experience of programming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending