The Student Room Group

A Level Subject Choice

I have just enrolled at College and decided to do Maths, Computer Science and Business. My GCSE results were very underwhelming and I was disappointed, I got
Maths - 7
Science (Combined) 7-7
Computer Science - 7
RE - 7
History - 6
English Language - 5 (Getting a Remark, 1 mark off a 6)
English Literature - 5
French - 3

I wasn't happy with these as from mocks I had been expecting mainly 8s with one or two 9s.
I was worrying that me choosing Business over Economics might be an issue for going to Uni, I'm looking at Manchester mainly for computer science and I'm hearing that as Business is a softer subject so I'll have a hard time getting in, is this true?
Also can I still go to other good university's like Russel Groups if I do business?
Original post by skinfade123
I have just enrolled at College and decided to do Maths, Computer Science and Business. My GCSE results were very underwhelming and I was disappointed, I got
Maths - 7
Science (Combined) 7-7
Computer Science - 7
RE - 7
History - 6
English Literature - 5
French - 3

I wasn't happy with these as from mocks I had been expecting mainly 8s with one or two 9s.
I was worrying that me choosing Business over Economics might be an issue for going to Uni, I'm looking at Manchester mainly for computer science and I'm hearing that as Business is a softer subject so I'll have a hard time getting in, is this true?
Also can I still go to other good university's like Russel Groups if I do business?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiy8ZKeyvyAAxWYQUEAHUMIDkAQFnoECBsQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestudentroom.co.uk%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D6033950&usg=AOvVaw2CykJ9l-8FnPQLEDIESqzE&opi=89978449

You got good 7, 6, 5’s aside from french (but that optional gcse is of no significance unlike maths, english, science)
No, unless the course specifies a specific A Level in entry requirements, it doesnt matter.
No course (general statement) specifies doing economics, or business A Levels in their entry requirements
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2

I'm looking at Manchester mainly for computer science and I'm hearing that as Business is a softer subject so I'll have a hard time getting in, is this true?

1) You have 5 UCAS choices not just Manchester so you do need to do far more research into potential Uni courses.
2) Comp Sci degrees require Maths and more Maths - some top courses may want FM as well as Maths - they do not require A level Comp Sci.
3) If the 3rd subject is not stated either as 'must be' or 'preferred' then it can literally be anything - Dance, Art History or Universal Nose-Picking - all they care about is the grade. So it makes sense to do a subject that you will actually enjoy studying.
4) Unless a Uni states that they will not accept an A level in BS then it is accepted and it isnt seen as a 'soft subject'. This idea is a bit of a myth.
5) Russell Group is just a marketing concept. It doesnt actually mean much. Some of the top Comp Sci courses are not actually at RG Unis (Bath etc).
Maths - 7
Science (Combined) 7-7
Computer Science - 7
RE - 7
History - 6
English Literature - 5
French - 3

Your gcse grades are still decent.
Business is still a decent subject to do. It is not a softer subject.
Check the course you want on unis websites to see if there are any specific subjects they specify.
Apart from pant possible subjects specified by unis, you can do whatever subjects you want. So if you want to do business then do business.

Quick Reply

Latest