The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - January 2012 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChrisJ
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1252151

Have a look at that thread. There's 3 parts to the syllabus - Unifying concepts, Trends and patterns and Transition elements, if that's what you meant :redface:

thanks for that link really helped good luck with your exams.
Reply 181
Not looking forward to the inevitable question I won't be able to do despite how much revision i do :mad:
Reply 182
Is this exam at January 2011 or February the 1st 2012??? :/
Original post by 010494
Is this exam at January 2011 or February the 1st 2012??? :/

February 1st 2012 :smile: and its for 2 hours lol!!! good luck :smile:
Original post by Tateco
Not looking forward to the inevitable question I won't be able to do despite how much revision i do :mad:

I know. Ive done so much revison but I'm guessing there will that one daunting question that i'll look at at think WTH!!! lol :biggrin:
Guys how do you do questions like this:

The overall reaction in a fuel cell is the complete combustion of methanol. Methanol is supplied at one electrode; oxygen at the other. Oxygen reacts at the negative electrode - O2 + 4H+ + 4e- ----> 2H2O

Deduce the half equation at the positive electrode.

The question if from January 2011. Thanks :smile:
Original post by With an Accent
You would have to mention that bonding pairs are repelled more stronger by lone pairs than other bonding pairs.

Here's my answer, can you tell me if its right:
An ammonia molecule has 3 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair.
An ammonia ligand has no lone pairs and 4 bonding pairs
Lone pairs repel more than bonding pairs, which is why the ligand has 109.5 degree angle rather than a 107 degree
Is that right??? please feel free to add anything!!!
:biggrin:
Thankyou :smile:
Original post by TourettesUnicorn
Guys how do you do questions like this:

The overall reaction in a fuel cell is the complete combustion of methanol. Methanol is supplied at one electrode; oxygen at the other. Oxygen reacts at the negative electrode - O2 + 4H+ + 4e- ----> 2H2O

Deduce the half equation at the positive electrode.

The question if from January 2011. Thanks :smile:

Hey there, :smile: They tell you that the fuel cell is about the combustion of methanol, in part one you write out the combustion of methonal, this is the final equation. So, they tell you that oxygen reacts at the negative electrode and you can see from the final combustion equation of methanol that methanol goes from

CH3OH ------> C02

Then it is a case of balancing. You start with water on the left hand side to balance the oxygens.

CH3OH + H20 -----> CO2 +

And then balance the hydrogen ions and the electrons on the right hand side.

CH3OH + H20 ----> CO2 + 6H+ + 6e-
guys, i need help with question (4e) on the june 2011 paper. Why do you have to choose lactic acid?
Original post by cobra2k10
guys, i need help with question (4e) on the june 2011 paper. Why do you have to choose lactic acid?

because in the book on page 153 of the ocr book it states ph=pka and so this means the closest acid to the pka of the table is lactic acid. i was the only student in the class to see this everyone else made it complicated lool :biggrin: hope that helps.
Reply 190
Original post by cobra2k10

Because its the closest pH to the desired buffer pH
Reply 191
On that June 11 exam page 5 2) c ii) can someone do a guide for it. I can normally do Kc questions with ease but this one has just confused me. Don't get why EQ amount of O2 is 0.4 for example. So if someone would put up a step my step guide for me I'd very much appreciate it.
Original post by kurdishboy94
because in the book on page 153 of the ocr book it states ph=pka and so this means the closest acid to the pka of the table is lactic acid. i was the only student in the class to see this everyone else made it complicated lool :biggrin: hope that helps.

Original post by Tateco
Because its the closest pH to the desired buffer pH

thanks... Are there any predictions of what is likely to come up based on the previous 3 papers??
Original post by lfcjamie
On that June 11 exam page 5 2) c ii) can someone do a guide for it. I can normally do Kc questions with ease but this one has just confused me. Don't get why EQ amount of O2 is 0.4 for example. So if someone would put up a step my step guide for me I'd very much appreciate it.

Are you talking about question 5) part c) ii)
Reply 194
Original post by sumsum123
Are you talking about question 5) part c) ii)

No sorry question 2 part C ii) which is on page 5 of the exam
Original post by lfcjamie
No sorry question 2 part C ii) which is on page 5 of the exam

Ahh kool :smile: , I was staring at the wrong paper ... haha!
Okay, so this is the way I always do it by making a little table.

2NO + O2 ---><--- 2NO2
start (concentrations) 0.4 0.35 0
end (concentrations) 0.1 0.20 0.30

So, now gonna explain my table. So you have 0.8 moles of NO and 0.7 moles of 02. I am first going to convert them to concentrations by dividing them by 2 dm3. They tell me that 75% of the NO has reacted , so I find 75% of 0.4 moldm3 of NO and take away that value from 0.4. This gives me 0.1 . Btw , 75% of it is 0.3.

Now this is where molar ratio's come in. It is 2:1 ,, NO:02. So only I take away only half 0.3 (0.15) from 0.35 to give me 0.20 moldm3 of oxygen. And seeing as I had nothing of NO2 to begin with I add 0.3 because the molar ratio of NO:NO2 is 2:2. So now you convert your concentrations back to moles to show the moles of everything at equilibrium. That is where 0.4 moles of 02 comes from, you multiply your 0.2 moldm3 by 2dm3 to give you 0.4 moles. And now you pop your concentration figures into your Kc equation to give you 45 dm3mol-1.

Tell me if you don't get anything, I tend to babble alot :tongue:
Reply 196
Hi, can someone help me with the jan 2011 paper, question 7a(i):
http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/pp_11_jan/ocr_61491_pp_11_jan_gce_f325.pdf
I can do the first part where you do n = c*v so to get the moles of Na2S2O3 you do 0.001 * (24.6/1000) and moles is 2.46*10^-5 mol.
Then according to the mark scheme, to get the moles of O2 you do (2.46*10^-5)/4
Why do you divide by 4? :s
Reply 197
Original post by sumsum123
Ahh kool :smile: , I was staring at the wrong paper ... haha!
Okay, so this is the way I always do it by making a little table.

2NO + O2 ---><--- 2NO2
start (concentrations) 0.4 0.35 0
end (concentrations) 0.1 0.20 0.30

So, now gonna explain my table. So you have 0.8 moles of NO and 0.7 moles of 02. I am first going to convert them to concentrations by dividing them by 2 dm3. They tell me that 75% of the NO has reacted , so I find 75% of 0.4 moldm3 of NO and take away that value from 0.4. This gives me 0.1 . Btw , 75% of it is 0.3.

Now this is where molar ratio's come in. It is 2:1 ,, NO:02. So only I take away only half 0.3 (0.15) from 0.35 to give me 0.20 moldm3 of oxygen. And seeing as I had nothing of NO2 to begin with I add 0.3 because the molar ratio of NO:NO2 is 2:2. So now you convert your concentrations back to moles to show the moles of everything at equilibrium. That is where 0.4 moles of 02 comes from, you multiply your 0.2 moldm3 by 2dm3 to give you 0.4 moles. And now you pop your concentration figures into your Kc equation to give you 45 dm3mol-1.

Tell me if you don't get anything, I tend to babble alot :tongue:

Got it thanks a lot!
Original post by Fatima0065
Here's my answer, can you tell me if its right:
An ammonia molecule has 3 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair.
An ammonia ligand has no lone pairs and 4 bonding pairs
Lone pairs repel more than bonding pairs, which is why the ligand has 109.5 degree angle rather than a 107 degree
Is that right??? please feel free to add anything!!!
:biggrin:
Thankyou :smile:

I think that's fine :smile:
Reply 199
Hey, can someone help me with June 2011 Q7dii on how to get the two half equations? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending