The Student Room Group

Biology and chemistry

Can I do A level biology and chemistry and psychology with a 5 in GCSE foundation maths and a 7-7 in sciences? Since I can’t move to higher now I’m think of resitting higher tier?
Reply 1
Original post by suzy23
Can I do A level biology and chemistry and psychology with a 5 in GCSE foundation maths and a 7-7 in sciences? Since I can’t move to higher now I’m think of resitting higher tier?

Yes, as long as you pass your sciences and achieve a pass in maths and English, you should be able to the Alevels you mentioned.

I should warn you though, Alevel biology and especially chemistry are VERY difficult, and I mean disgustingly. I would highly recommend not taking it if you got a 5 in maths for chemistry, as chemistry is basically applied maths. If you do choose chemistry, be prepared to put hours of work daily into an extremely demanding course- chemistry is much more difficult than any other alevel by far.

With all of that said, if you are fully committed and determined, then you should go for it. I only say this because I am year 13 about to do my chemistry and biology alevel exams and they are HARD and I wish someone had warned me beforehand.

Good luck regardless!!
Original post by Sheepwool
Yes, as long as you pass your sciences and achieve a pass in maths and English, you should be able to the Alevels you mentioned.

I should warn you though, Alevel biology and especially chemistry are VERY difficult, and I mean disgustingly. I would highly recommend not taking it if you got a 5 in maths for chemistry, as chemistry is basically applied maths. If you do choose chemistry, be prepared to put hours of work daily into an extremely demanding course- chemistry is much more difficult than any other alevel by far.

With all of that said, if you are fully committed and determined, then you should go for it. I only say this because I am year 13 about to do my chemistry and biology alevel exams and they are HARD and I wish someone had warned me beforehand.

Good luck regardless!!

What is the maths type in chemistry apparently it’s basic GCSE maths correct me if I am wrong. what content do you cover for chemistry? What do you want to do in the future? Sorry if I’m asking too much questions I’m just curious.
Reply 3
Original post by suzy23
What is the maths type in chemistry apparently it’s basic GCSE maths correct me if I am wrong. what content do you cover for chemistry? What do you want to do in the future? Sorry if I’m asking too much questions I’m just curious.

No worries!! Firstly, whoever told you it is basic gcse maths is completely wrong. Chemistry Alevel requires you to deduce long, chunky pieces of text into very cryptic, weird questions and answers. For example, you learn about acid base equilibria for a big chunk of year 13, which is very complicated with heaps to remember. I can’t describe the questions as they are so intricate, so I recommend looking online onto the course plan/topics and past papers. In fact, I just had a chem exam today lol. Just trust me when I say it is hard, because it really really is and I got straight A*s in my GCSEs.

And I am hoping to go onto medicine in Cardiff university in September! Not sure how it will go though, as i need AAA in alevels which is a big ask!

hopefully this helps a little!
Original post by suzy23

Hiya, I take biology and chemistry and very few of my classmates in biology take maths. I don't know which exam board you would be taking but there are often additional maths support revision guides for biology. The maths itself is normally putting numbers into a formula, or using GCSE skills, and occasionally using buttons on the calculator such as log and e - but you don't have to understand how these work. In chemistry, the maths is mainly multiplication/division for concentration calculations - the tricky part is figuring out which numbers to use rather than the maths itself. Again it might be different for your exam board, but for AQA the acids and bases topic has the use of logs, but alike to biology, it's just pressing the right buttons on the calculator and you don't necessarily have to understand it. Both subjects may have questions on unit conversions such as going from gdm^-3 to moldm^-3, or from cms^-1 to mmhr^-1 and similar.
I would recommend you talk to the chemistry/biology teachers at your school about how previous students have found the subjects if they are in a similar position to you. You can always try the subjects out for a term and change in year 12 if they are too challenging.
Best of luck!! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by suzy23

Heya!
You should be fine as long as you pass :smile: Unis usually just need a 5 in maths and english. If it helps, use Study Mind for free resources, from free revision notes to past papers!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 6
Original post by username6112117

In short, yes you can take it, however, I would not advise you to do so. A 5 in foundation maths will really slow your understanding of chemistry - it is very reliant on maths. Biology should be fine - I got an 8 in it and am taking it for A-level, it is very facts/memory based the first year and more understanding in the second.

It is completely your choice, but be prepared if you do take chemistry as I have heard many complain about how difficult it is.

Quick Reply

Latest