The Student Room Group
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton

University of Bolton ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rami101
^this is your only post? obviously a member of University's staff.

^someone's personal vendetta against a uni after failing to get a degree while studying there?
Student relaxing in halls, University of Bolton
University of Bolton
Bolton
Reply 41
It's a regional university, so it's something comparable to
Reply 42
Original post by lala72
It's a regional university, so it's something comparable to a "commuter college" in the U.S. That right there guarantees graduation rates will be much lower than a destination college.

Secondly, we're talking about the U.K. and Europe here. The University of Bolton is only 33 years old. That's it. So it's virtually impossible for it to climb above any older university in the rankings (meaning: pretty much any other university in the Kingdom) without being something miraculous.

U. of Bolton is an excellent research institution for its size. In terms of graduate studies, especially at the Ph.D. level, what it offers is of premium caliber. I chose to pursue my doctorate through their Ph.D. by Practice program and couldn't be happier.

Don't let the rankings fool you; much of that has to do with the fact that they're a young institution, and that they insist on facilitating primarily the Manchester region. (Some 70% of their student body is from the city.)

Yeah I'd agree with that, although my post is 4 years old so I'm having to refamiliarise myself with this lmao.

The only thing I'd say is that there are actually younger universities higher up in the league tables. At the moment I work at Aston University, a regional university / 'commuter college' founded 1895 and with a much better reputation than Bolton.

Also you've got the most obvious one, Warwick, founded in the 60s and with an excellent reputation beating a lot of the redbricks including my local one and the one I graduated from.

So age and 'uni of versus ex poly' is becoming less and less relevant.

But yes you are right - league tables only show a limited picture and as a result universities like Bolton are probably underrated by a lot of people.
Reply 43
Original post by abc:)
Yeah I'd agree with that, although my post is 4 years old so I'm having to refamiliarise myself with this lmao.

The only thing I'd say is that there are actually younger universities higher up in the league tables. At the moment I work at Aston University, a regional university / 'commuter college' founded 1895 and with a much better reputation than Bolton.

Also you've got the most obvious one, Warwick, founded in the 60s and with an excellent reputation beating a lot of the redbricks including my local one and the one I graduated from.

So age and 'uni of versus ex poly' is becoming less and less relevant.

But yes you are right - league tables only show a limited picture and as a result universities like Bolton are probably underrated by a lot of people.

Hey, thanks for the reply...even if it did take you back four years. :smile:

I don't work or live in the U.K. So, you'd probably know more than me. But I would like to point out that the two universities you reference, while young, are much older than the University of Bolton. As I stated, the University of Bolton was founded in 1982. That means it's literally had 33 graduating classes. That's it. And that seems VERY young to me.

However, I'd be biased if I tried any harder to defend Bolton, as I'm a graduate student at the school (distance). But I do feel it's unfairly ridiculed at times. And, again, I do think it's developing into an honorable research institute. Those are my two cents.

Thanks much for your reply and your insight.
Reply 44
Original post by lala72
Hey, thanks for the reply...even if it did take you back four years. :smile:

I don't work or live in the U.K. So, you'd probably know more than me. But I would like to point out that the two universities you reference, while young, are much older than the University of Bolton. As I stated, the University of Bolton was founded in 1982. That means it's literally had 33 graduating classes. That's it. And that seems VERY young to me.

However, I'd be biased if I tried any harder to defend Bolton, as I'm a graduate student at the school (distance). But I do feel it's unfairly ridiculed at times. And, again, I do think it's developing into an honorable research institute. Those are my two cents.

Thanks much for your reply and your insight.

I agree it probably is unfairly ridiculed. I know you said you don't work or live in the UK but I think part of it is to do with Bolton as a place - it is often ridiculed a bit like how Blackpool is. (or New Jersey as opposed to New York in the states? I could be wrong but that seems like a sort of comparison). For that reason people might unfairly overlook it.
Reply 45
Original post by abc:)
I agree it probably is unfairly ridiculed. I know you said you don't work or live in the UK but I think part of it is to do with Bolton as a place - it is often ridiculed a bit like how Blackpool is. (or New Jersey as opposed to New York in the states? I could be wrong but that seems like a sort of comparison). For that reason people might unfairly overlook it.

:smile: OK, makes sense. I know they have a sub-par football team. But, sure, the Jersey to Manhattan analysis works for me. Luckily, I only need to see the place for my oral defense, so...

Again, thanks for the explanation. I'm learning something.
I am really pleased to hear, and not surprised to know, about Mel_Y's experience at Bolton. It is way down at the bottom of the tables but there is a reason for this. Frankly, it was a university devoted to enhancing life chances. To widening participation in higher education. It was very much focussed on developing individual potential that might otherwise have been overlooked.

This meant that, down at heel as a place, the atmosphere was very friendly, personal and friendly.

But you might just notice here my use of the past tense.

At a well-publicised trip to see the V-Cs new yacht in the Lake District, the staff were all told by the V-C, it is reported, that in a few years they would be "the new university of Warwick." Nobody had the nerve to tell him that he should properly be sectioned under the Mental Health Act 1983.

So, since then, obsessed by delusions of grandeur, the good and the great staff, (ie those who cared about 'value-added'), have been purged through 'restructuring' and been replaced by an army of biddable and cheap fart-catchers. They care nothing for individual attention for students and just grab that monthly cheque. And who can blame them?

So good once (for some), but now well worth avoiding at all costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending