The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Is Hull racist?

Scroll to see replies

Im a black girl and in my first year at hull, i havent had any serious racial abuse at all, a few funny looks and slight rudeness from some skanky locals but i really could careless. Ive made good friends with a few local girls and they are absolutely lovely! however, two of my friends have told me about racial abuse they've had on nights out; a Indian girl and a mixed race boy. obviously hull will have more direct racism than bigger cities where there is more of a mix of different races. if your not from a big city and your used to being around a lil bit of underhand racism and lots of white faces then you'll be alright in my opinion. But in all honesty you shouldn't be worried about the racism... you should be more worried about the crappy nightlife!!!
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
I've got a mixed race cousins who lives there, and she hasn't experienced any racism, but from feeling I get it doesn't look racist or maybe that's just me.
An idiotic comment perhaps, but have there been any white people who wanted to join and run for council?

I wouldnt suppose so, but maybe I'm wrong.

Most minority groups have exclusive little societies. LGBT societies, various learning disability societies. I guess it's because in a population of people were you are few and far between, youo can come together and share ways of life/culture/experiences in common that you might not get the opportunity to enjoy with members of the general population.

A rare time where you are usually "different" but in the group there's a sense of normality and belonging.

I do think people tend to misunderstand the purposes of these types of groupings.
Original post by ********
I really want to go to Hull uni to do Law with Business and i was considering to put it down as my firm if they accept me.

I've heard that Hull is racist. I got told that one asian girl got racially abused by locals. I'm an indian girl and i don't want to really experience that.

So can u tell if if Hull is racist to asians. Some people have said no - Hull is really nice, while others have said yes - they couldn't wait to leave.

Racism happens in every large city unfortunately, it doesn't mean a particular place is inherently racist because of one incident.
i am a second year at hull and an asian girl, and as with all cities there are some racists, and i have experienced some unpleasant people who have given me grief purely on my race but these tend to just be drunken locals on nights out in the city centre. the university itself is lovely and anywhere you go it is possible you may experience racism so dont let that effect what you choose. the university has some lovely students and just avoid being on your own in rougher parts of the city but i would recommend this to anyone of any race in any city to be honest.
Reply 45
Hi there hope you are looking forwarding to starting your uni life :smile: just to give my view I'm a second year science student at the University of Hull, I'm a British Yemeni (Arab) and i come from Sheffield and honestly if u do get accepted u shouldn't let that worry u at all.I'm thoroughly enjoying my uni life the university is really nice and so is the surrounding area where as a student u ll hang out normally, its just like any other big city with no sizeable ethnic minority its still modern enough for you to be safe, and I can tell ya yes the people in hull are'nt used to coloured people but they are still your average good Yorkshire folk :smile: the majority are actually friendly. Just like Swansea for example another big city but with no sizeable ethnic minority. p.s. to the person who mentioned crappy night life! I don't know about that 4 or 5 really nice night clubs, 4 fantastic cinema complexes to catch ur weekly fix at the pictures :smile: top notch restaurants and places to eat everywhere, so again honestly its just like any other big northern city definitely better than Preston if u went to Lancaster uni for example.hope this helps.
Reply 46
I'm from Hull and am at Hull Uni and i can honestly say NO were not racist, there's idiots here who make fun of people but its like that everyone, the majority of people are friendly, funny and don't care about anything other then if your a nice person
Original post by v22
I'm from Hull and am at Hull Uni and i can honestly say NO were not racist, there's idiots here who make fun of people but its like that everyone, the majority of people are friendly, funny and don't care about anything other then if your a nice person

I agree I was born in hull, the city gets an awful lot of stuck & of course there are areas which aren't so great like any city! But like u say the majority of people are lovely & down to earth!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hull gets a lot of stick, as it kept repeatedly electing John Prescott as its MP. I was never sure that he was the worst person in the last Labour government or Peter Mandelson.

Only visited Hull once, so can't comment on the original question.
John Prescott was not even close to being the worst person in the last Labour Government.
Reply 50
Hull isn't racist at all. Do not worry, and enjoy your time here.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 51
In my third year at Hull and have never heard of any students encountering racism nor have I seen any racist incidents myself.
Yes Hull is quite white but this stat is for the whole of Hull, the uni itself is very multicultural, the Business School for example has over 100 nationalities of students. There is a great International Students Association and lots of societies for international students, Arab student society etc, these are all on display at Fresher's Fair.
Unfortunately some racism occurs everywhere but I do not think Hull is particularly worse than anywhere else at all. Don't be put off by hearsay or silly stereotypes, I have loved living in Hull
Reply 52
Original post by ********
I really want to go to Hull uni to do Law with Business and i was considering to put it down as my firm if they accept me.

I've heard that Hull is racist. I got told that one asian girl got racially abused by locals. I'm an indian girl and i don't want to really experience that.

So can u tell if if Hull is racist to asians. Some people have said no - Hull is really nice, while others have said yes - they couldn't wait to leave.

I believe that Hull as a city is full of racism; and this is based on one day visit to the city. I am a newly qualified medical doctor, who studied and lives in the UK, and I went to visit the city and I was absolutely shocked by the number of incidents of racism that I have experienced there in just one day; and the reaction of the locals who thought it was normal and no one said anything against it. I went to do more research in the topic; and I have read that there were 2,000 racism incidents reported in the city's schools and even nurseries. So I think that racism in Hull is a norm, and I advice any student of a different race; other than white; to think very hard before making a decision to study or even go there for a visit.
Do **** off, I have lived here for over 4 years now and I have never seen any incidents of Racism ever.

Hull is the same as any other city in this country, there are racists everywhere but to say you came here once and saw a number of racist incidents is utter bull****.
I've lived in Hull for over 10 years now, and in all honesty, it is a little more racist than the bigger, more cosmopolitan cities. Generally the people are friendly, and as they years go by the population is becoming more mixed, however there is still a nasty undercurrent of racist attitudes and behaviour. The university is pretty open minded, but some of the staff are a nightmare. When I started working on campus I had to go to one of the offices to sort out a card and parking permit. The woman behind the desk was awful. She was abrupt, rude and just generally horrible to talk to. She treated me like I was some refuge, even though I was born in the UK. When I had finished and had to take a seat to wait for the items to be sorted out, the next person she spoke to was a white lady. Completely different attitude, she even cracked a smile.
One time on a bus, some kid was going off, talking about black people, calling us ******* and stuff. I held my tongue, I didn't know what to do. He was sat at the back and everyone could hear him. What did these nice people do?
Stuck their noses into their papers and phones and pretended like they didn't hear anything, or they didn't give a sh**.
I've experienced people staring at me, people moving their children away from me, women shifting their handbags away from me, looking at me then looking away making it so obvious that they are trying not to stare, rudeness, like when I went out for a fancy dress party. I went as Rambo and we hit a few bars and stuff. The number one conversation I had that night was "who are you meant to be?"
"Rambo".
"But Rambo is white", followed by confused looks and questions as to why I didn't dress as a black movie character, like Morpheus. Sometimes I'll strike up a conversation with someone and you can see that they aren't comfortable talking to you, they are just trying to be polite. The next day you see them, all of a sudden they blank you. Don't even get me started on attempts to get to know women i'm attracted too.
The worst was my ex father in law. I was married to a white lady, so obviously her father was white. One time we were driving back from a trip somewhere, he was reading the paper. The discussion turned to Britain's Got Talent. Her mother asked "who got through last night?"
Father in laws response "The ******".
Reply 55
Original post by ZuluNation003
I've lived in Hull for over 10 years now, and in all honesty, it is a little more racist than the bigger, more cosmopolitan cities. Generally the people are friendly, and as they years go by the population is becoming more mixed, however there is still a nasty undercurrent of racist attitudes and behaviour. The university is pretty open minded, but some of the staff are a nightmare. When I started working on campus I had to go to one of the offices to sort out a card and parking permit. The woman behind the desk was awful. She was abrupt, rude and just generally horrible to talk to. She treated me like I was some refuge, even though I was born in the UK. When I had finished and had to take a seat to wait for the items to be sorted out, the next person she spoke to was a white lady. Completely different attitude, she even cracked a smile.
One time on a bus, some kid was going off, talking about black people, calling us ******* and stuff. I held my tongue, I didn't know what to do. He was sat at the back and everyone could hear him. What did these nice people do?
Stuck their noses into their papers and phones and pretended like they didn't hear anything, or they didn't give a sh**.
I've experienced people staring at me, people moving their children away from me, women shifting their handbags away from me, looking at me then looking away making it so obvious that they are trying not to stare, rudeness, like when I went out for a fancy dress party. I went as Rambo and we hit a few bars and stuff. The number one conversation I had that night was "who are you meant to be?"
"Rambo".
"But Rambo is white", followed by confused looks and questions as to why I didn't dress as a black movie character, like Morpheus. Sometimes I'll strike up a conversation with someone and you can see that they aren't comfortable talking to you, they are just trying to be polite. The next day you see them, all of a sudden they blank you. Don't even get me started on attempts to get to know women i'm attracted too.
The worst was my ex father in law. I was married to a white lady, so obviously her father was white. One time we were driving back from a trip somewhere, he was reading the paper. The discussion turned to Britain's Got Talent. Her mother asked "who got through last night?"

I don't think this just applies to Hull

It's a working class city, so it is to be expected (not accepted of course)

TBH Morpheus would have been a better costume, Rambo is too common.

I went to Uni in Hull and I never saw any racism (and if there was any, I wasn't aware of it). But I'm white so maybe I was ignorant to it.
Reply 56
Original post by zKlown
I don't think this just applies to Hull

It's a working class city, so it is to be expected (not accepted of course)

TBH Morpheus would have been a better costume, Rambo is too common.

I went to Uni in Hull and I never saw any racism (and if there was any, I wasn't aware of it). But I'm white so maybe I was ignorant to it.

Yes you were. Don't discount another person's experience.

Original post by ZuluNation003
"Rambo".

I agree with you about there being an 'undercurrent of racist attitudes'. I have experienced quite a few racist incidents in Hull but I know it is not unique to just this city. I still think Hull is lovely place and people are generally quite friendly.
Reply 57
Original post by Ebuwa
Yes you were. Don't discount another person's experience.

I agree with you about there being an 'undercurrent of racist attitudes'. I have experienced quite a few racist incidents in Hull but I know it is not unique to just this city. I still think Hull is lovely place and people are generally quite friendly.

I didn't discount their experience, I was expressing my experience.

There is a difference.
Reply 58
I've lived in Hull for most of my life. I must say that racism in Hull has gotten better over the years. I am half Turkish and half English, we got the odd racial comment now and then when we were younger. Sometimes when I get on the bus you get the odd idiot from Bransholme or Orchard Park talking about immigrants 'taking all their jobs' and wishing they'd 'f*ck off back to their own country'. I would say that it tends to be the more working class areas of Hull which are more racist such as Orchard Park. I lived in a small market town in Lincolnshire for about 3 years when I was 10-13 years old, I think I got more racism there compared to when I lived in Hull. People in Hull are generally friendly and wont bother you at all. As unfortunate as it is, you will always have racism wherever you go because people have different opinions. You just have to learn to ignore them because everyone has a right to go wherever they please. I learnt to laugh at any racial comments I get because I know that I am so much better than what they think of me. I used to live around the Cranbrook Avenue and also lived down Reynoldson Street for a year orso, I rarely came across racism there. The student area is a nice place to live in Hull. But anyway, hold your head up high no matter who you are because racism does not define you and racist opinions are irrelevant to your existence. I would not let the thought of racism put you off coming to Hull for university, I'm actually planning to stay here to study Biomedical Science. I have moved around a lot in this city so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me. :h:
Original post by Fuemii
I've lived in Hull for most of my life. I must say that racism in Hull has gotten better over the years. I am half Turkish and half English, we got the odd racial comment now and then when we were younger. Sometimes when I get on the bus you get the odd idiot from Bransholme or Orchard Park talking about immigrants 'taking all their jobs' and wishing they'd 'f*ck off back to their own country'. I would say that it tends to be the more working class areas of Hull which are more racist such as Orchard Park. I lived in a small market town in Lincolnshire for about 3 years when I was 10-13 years old, I think I got more racism there compared to when I lived in Hull. People in Hull are generally friendly and wont bother you at all. As unfortunate as it is, you will always have racism wherever you go because people have different opinions. You just have to learn to ignore them because everyone has a right to go wherever they please. I learnt to laugh at any racial comments I get because I know that I am so much better than what they think of me. I used to live around the Cranbrook Avenue and also lived down Reynoldson Street for a year orso, I rarely came across racism there. The student area is a nice place to live in Hull. But anyway, hold your head up high no matter who you are because racism does not define you and racist opinions are irrelevant to your existence. I would not let the thought of racism put you off coming to Hull for university, I'm actually planning to stay here to study Biomedical Science. I have moved around a lot in this city so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me. :h:

Sigh I am literally torn between De Montfort and Hull, they are virtually opposites to each other.

De Montfort is:
-more ethnically diverse so I won't stick out like a sore thumb when I got there
-A more well known, bigger city than Hull
-City based uni
-Ex-Poly
-I can stay in my part time job if I go there

University of Hull is:
-Based in a smaller city, feels a bit like in the middle of nowhere
-Not ethnically diverse, might feel awkward, lonely unpleasant when I go there due to racist people, which I can tolerate for a short while but probably not for 4/5 years (ill be doing a foundation year + sandwich year)
-I will have to sacrifice my current job to go there and it;s very far from where I live
-A redbrick uni.

I seriously can't make my mind up, I'm attracted to Hull because of the nice, leafy green campus feel. But is it really worth the hassle, when I could just go to De Montfort and avoid all that trouble? They're both similarly ranked in the league tables anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest