The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F214 Communication, Homeostasis and Energy Wed 25 Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

This module is pretty tricky to get your head around but once you've got the hang off it it's alright I'm currently going through respiration again and chemiosmosis is so simple that its complicated haha what do you think the majority of the questions be about the f212 was based heavily on the food/diet bits :smile:
Reply 581
Original post by christrev
when there is high O2 and a low CO2 concentration the heart rate is caused to decrease by nerve impulses along the vagus (parasympathetic nerve) causing it to secrete acetylcholine

if co2 levels are low why would you lower them more.. cuz ( there toxic/ less affinity/ blah blah ...)
Reply 582
so harrrrrrrrd...not looking forward.
Reply 583
Original post by bemydetonator
This module is pretty tricky to get your head around but once you've got the hang off it it's alright I'm currently going through respiration again and chemiosmosis is so simple that its complicated haha what do you think the majority of the questions be about the f212 was based heavily on the food/diet bits :smile:

i swer f212 as mainly based on biodiversity?!
Original post by Lalaa
if co2 levels are low why would you lower them more.. cuz ( there toxic/ less affinity/ blah blah ...)

decrease in heart rate means that less CO2 will be exhaled, so you should get more CO2 in the body
Reply 585
Original post by Mike-nificent
decrease in heart rate means that less CO2 will be exhaled, so you should get more CO2 in the body

ohhhhhhhhh.. you make sense! Thankssss! :biggrin:
Original post by Lalaa
i swer f212 as mainly based on biodiversity?!

in june 2010 it was only one question on biodiversity
Original post by Bi0logical

I envy how smart you are :frown:
Reply 588
in june 2010 it was only one question on biodiversity

i meant jan 2012 =\
Original post by Lalaa
i meant jan 2012 =\

oh sorry :/ I didn't re-sit in jan 2012
when there is high O2 and a low CO2 concentration the heart rate is caused to decrease by nerve impulses along the vagus (parasympathetic nerve) causing it to secrete acetylcholine

do you get more marks by saying the vagus nerve is part of the parasympathetic nervous system and it releases the neurontransmitter acetylcoline

as opposed to saying the vagus nerve sends impulses from the medulla oblongata to reduce heart rate
Reply 591
oh sorry :/ I didn't re-sit in jan 2012

Its okay =)

Describe the STRUCTURE/ROLE of ATP (6)

also remember that the chemoreceptors detection of a low PH and high concentration of CO2 leads to an increase in the heart rate which is an example of a positive feedback system and NOT homeostasis

hang on though the increase in heart rate is to ensure that the more carbon dioxide is exhaled and more oxygen is inhaled.

so wouldnt that be negative a feedback- a processes that brings about a reversal to any change in condition
Original post by Lalaa
Its okay =)

Describe the STRUCTURE/ROLE of ATP (6)

structure = adenine (nitrogenous base) + ribose (pentose sugar) + 3 phosphate groups (phosphate is a misnomer since they are actually phosphoryl :tongue:)

role=univeral carrier of energy. found in all living cells. release discrete packets of energy by breaking phosphate bond via hydrolysis
Continually rehydrolysed and resynthesised
Reply 594
structure = adenine (nitrogenous base) + ribose (pentose sugar) + 3 phosphate groups (phosphate is a misnomer since they are actually phosphoryl :tongue:)

role=univeral carrier of energy. found in all living cells. release discrete packets of energy by breaking phosphate bond via hydrolysis
Continually rehydrolysed and resynthesised

Correct :smile: Btw, name a process that uses ATP, like glycolysis.

Roles of synpases ( 3-4)
Reply 595
Original post by undertaker1
hang on though the increase in heart rate is to ensure that the more carbon dioxide is exhaled and more oxygen is inhaled.

so wouldnt that be negative a feedback- a processes that brings about a reversal to any change in condition

I thought that if you were breathing in air rich in CO2 then because the heart rate is caused to increase this means that breathing increases also which just causes a further increase in the concentration of carbon dioxide in the blood?
Original post by Lalaa
Correct :smile: Btw, name a process that uses ATP, like glycolysis.

Roles of synpases ( 3-4)

Allow for one way transmission (only the presynatic knob contains vesicles of ACh and only the postsynaptic has receptors for it.
Filters low level stimuli

Something about temporal and spatial summation and convergence and divergence

these words are in my notes but I dunno what they mean. can someone explain them
Reply 597
Allow for one way transmission (only the presynatic knob contains vesicles of ACh and only the postsynaptic has receptors for it.

these words are in my notes but I dunno what they mean. can someone explain them

spatial summation is when two action potentials arrive at two separate synapses at the same time for the same neurone and this increases the receptor potential that will be initiated on the post synaptic membrane

temporal summation also increases the receptor potential but this is an action potential arriving at a synapse and then shortly after another action potential arriving at the same synapse

i think divergence is one synapse leading to many post synaptic membranes and convergence is many synapses leading to one post synaptic membrane. can someone clear the last part up?
Reply 598

Summation : when low level impulses are amplified
convergence : many pre to one post
divergence : one pre to many post

( the ones below i tried to figure out from the OCR BOOK. - )

Temporal summation : many action potentials are made in pre
spatial summation : many pre to post

EDIT : the last part has been cleared earlier

How are limiting factors of photosynthesis shown on a graph? ( or how do you know when the temp/co2/light intensity has become limited on a graph ) 1 mark.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Lalaa
Summation : when low level impulses are amplified
convergence : many pre to one post
divergence : one pre to many post

( the ones below i tried to figure out from the OCR BOOK. - )

Temporal summation : many action potentials are made in pre
spatial summation : many pre to post

EDIT : the last part has been cleared earlier

How are limiting factors of photosynthesis shown on a graph? ( or how do you know when the temp/co2/light intensity has become limited on a graph ) 1 mark.

constant gradient at first then it plateaus due to another factor being limiting
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending