The Student Room Group

How to answer 6-mark questions in A-Level Biology?

I notice I mostly get Level 1 (1-3) marks in 6-markers and I don't know how to improve on this. The OCR mark scheme as well is soooo specific. Any advice?
Original post by mohona1827
I notice I mostly get Level 1 (1-3) marks in 6-markers and I don't know how to improve on this. The OCR mark scheme as well is soooo specific. Any advice?

for 6 markers have 3 distinct points and develop those 3 points as much as you can - that’s how I normally get 6/6
Reply 2
Original post by chizzlebelizzle
for 6 markers have 3 distinct points and develop those 3 points as much as you can - that’s how I normally get 6/6

Could you elaborate what you mean? How would you make 3 distinct points in this question
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by mohona1827
Could you elaborate what you mean? How would you make 3 distinct points in this question

Your level 1,2 or 3 determined by your scientific knowledge
You must have described the structure, properties and explained for both lipids and carbohydrates in plants and animals to be level 3.

Since you say you get 1 to 3 marks, your knowledge is at level 1 or level 2. So increase your understanding.
Your written communication determines whether your in the upper part or lower part. For example, if you get level 3, whether you get 5 or 6 marks is determined by your written communication.

Break the question down, describe and explain each one.
First: you have your storage molecules
Glycogen (animals), starch - amylose and amylopectin (plants), these are both carbohydrates
Triglycerides - lipids
Than you describe each one

For glycogen:
Contains 1,4 and 1,6 glycosidic bonds between alpha glucose monomers creating a highly branched structure that is compact. Allows hydrolysis and condensation of glucose monomers at a high rate. Animals are mobile, so need glucose to release energy in cellular respiration for movement.
So you got your description, than your explanation linking to the question.

Starch contains amylose and amylopectin. Amylose contains 1,4 glycosidic bonds between alpha glucose to create a helix stabilised by hydrogen bonds. Amylopectin is a branched structure containing 1,4 and 1,6 glycosidic bonds between alpha glucose. Starch granules are compact, does not take up space in the cell. Insoluble - does not change water potential of cell, so seeds and tubers can store large amount of glucose.

Triglycerides act as long term energy storage in animals. Formed by 3 ester bonds between glycerol and 3 fatty acids.Can form an insulating layer, preventing reduction in body temperature. Act as physical protection by lining organs. Triglycerides are insoluble, does not change water potential of cell.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest