The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography 4B Advanced Info Booklet

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
hi what have other people put as a hypothesis if they were going to create a a fieldwork investigation on the the traffic by the bridge? thanksss :smile:
Original post by d_aan

Original post by d_aan
Just a quick question to clarify things.

How much is the regeneration going to cost altogether? The bridge itself is about £25million, but what is it including the development at Hamworthy Gate etc?

Also, Hamworthy Gate provides 26HA of brownfield sites, out of 46HA overall which is being redeveloped, is this correct?

the overall cost of regeneration is around £37million, of which £14million are from grants from the government. But apparently the birdge is currently only one way due to lack of funds....i'm not sure how this happened but if we are asked what changes to Poole since the release of the paper i think this would be quite appropriate to talk about..not sure what else to talk about though. any ideas? :smile:
Reply 122
Can someone to a grand summary of things we should know...

All I've done in depth is the traffic survey.. these next 12 or so hours is gonna be grueling
Reply 123
Original post by Helpmepass
the overall cost of regeneration is around £37million, of which £14million are from grants from the government. But apparently the birdge is currently only one way due to lack of funds....i'm not sure how this happened but if we are asked what changes to Poole since the release of the paper i think this would be quite appropriate to talk about..not sure what else to talk about though. any ideas? :smile:

On the poole website, the pdf says there was an initial 14million grant from the government and then another 10million from independent investors. So thats 25million ish, so does that mean the rest of development is £12 million for the whole of Hamworthy gate's housing/water development etc?

Yeah, the fundamental change which has been discussed on this thread so far is that the bridge's cost was underestimated. This meant that roads/traffic lights etc were not fully developed as like you said there wasn't enough funds left:smile:
Reply 124
I feel very unprepared for this exam , like others have said, this is a awkward exam. With regards to recent developments, could you talk about the fact that the bridge has had successful test lifts during october 2011 and that it us expected to open to the public on the 27th of this month ?
Reply 125
For what reasons may planners have proposed mixed/multi land use? could any one give me some points to make about this question?
Reply 126
I was thinking for the above question it could be because they want to spread the potential risk if a certain development fails , at least they have options to change the land use, so thats why it is more desirable. Also you could argue that there are likely to be many opportunities for investment in the future from businesses coming into the area and so it offers land which can be further expanded to meet certain needs and wants. The there is always like the environmental factors, such as wildlife etc.....
good answer!
Reply 128
I think as long as the questions are worded nicely to us , then the exam shouldn't be too difficult , but knowing our luck we will get some peculiar 10 markers :/
i agree, it has potential to be really good, but really bad too :s-smilie:
If people are looking for another case study, Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth is another really good one. Waterfront regeneration project with an iconic landmark (Spinnaker Tower), multi-use site, new homes built etc., it's fairly similar to Poole but it was on a larger scale. I think the response has generally been good, it brought a lot of tourism to the area, and the building really is iconic (you might not recognise the name but google 'Spinnaker Tower' and I'm sure you'll recognise the building) I'm mentioning this because someone above mentioned a multi-use site and Gunwharf Quays has received huge amount of praise much of which is due to the diverse use of land.
Reply 131
OK guys, seriously need some help here, please help D:

Okay so I'm 90% through the skills half, yet to start the other half, doubt I'll have much sleep tonight.

Theres one thing left of the skills side of things, its a sheet my teacher gave me

Its talking about 'Fieldwork Plan', and Sampling, gathering information, e.g knocking on doors.

It fails to say what the heck its onabout though... I thought the traffic survey was the fieldwork ? Someone help me out here :confused:
this is probably a really stupid question... but how is there a train line going across holes bay? it in on a raised bridge or something?!
Reply 133
Original post by wasuuuuuuuuuuuppp
this is probably a really stupid question... but how is there a train line going across holes bay? it in on a raised bridge or something?!

Yeah, it's sort a bridge, but it's not even raised much at all (as trains don't really go up hills) - so I suppose boats can't go further than the rail bridge?
ohhhh i see! thankyou, that photo's really helpful :smile:
Original post by 0zzy94

Its talking about 'Fieldwork Plan', and Sampling, gathering information, e.g knocking on doors.

It fails to say what the heck its onabout though... I thought the traffic survey was the fieldwork ? Someone help me out here :confused:

It's basically to expand your answer if it asks about fieldwork.

Knocking on doors and asking for opinions would give you qualitative data, and doing a traffic survey will give you quantitative data.
Guys, I had this 10 mark question to do for practice, but i honestly didn't have a clue how to answer it, if I post it can you tell me what more to add?

1) Explain why the government is trying to encourage planners of urban areas to redevelop brownfield sites (10 marks)
Brownfield sites are areas that may previously been used for commercial uses, and which now remain derelict or under-utilised. Poole currently has 46 hectares of land, which currently lie vacant or under-utilised. Hamworthy gate is an example of a brownfield site, which the government may want to be developed. Brownfield sites can often create a negative feel to the area and surrounding areas, and can look ‘run-down’ and tired. The government tries to encourage planners to use these in order to make the most of the land that is available without expanding further on Greenfield sites (undeveloped land in a city or rural area either used for agriculture, landscape design, or left to naturally evolve). The government encourages planners to redevelop brownfield sites in order to increase employment opportunities in the area; the brownfield sites can be redeveloped into enterprise zones, residential areas or retail outlets. This can create a number of jobs both in the short run, and long run. In the short run it creates jobs in construction and project management, and in the long run the enterprise zones, for example, can bring office work to the area, which has a positive multiplier effect. This can be demonstrated from myrdal’s model, which suggests that there is a catalyst (i.e. the development of brownfield sites) which can bring many positive effects to an area. The introduction of new employment opportunities leads to an increased pool of trained labour, which then means there becomes an increased demand for services, this creates a greater local wealth and this continues to multiply, leading to an increase in the local population paying taxes. This continues until the area can be classed as a ‘growth pool’. This leads to further invention and innovation, for example, research and development.

Bare in mind I timed myself to spend 8 minutes on this, as I am practicing for tomorrow, and wanted to allow an extra 2 minutes to try and add to it, so bare in mind it is of poor quality!!!
You need to relate it back to poole aswell :smile:
Reply 138
surely the rail track going through holes bay itself is bad for the ecological environment due to the noise?
Reply 139
Original post by Tabz93
surely the rail track going through holes bay itself is bad for the ecological environment due to the noise?

Yeah I assume so, and it cuts off the top third of the bay to boats. But then they they didn't really think about these things in the rush to build the railways 100 years ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending