The Student Room Group

Why the private school hate?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by KimKallstrom
It's not so much that they dislike people because they went to private school. It's disliking the fact that privately educated people often have this delusion that they've achieved something by going there and they act like it.

I agree with that. It's just that they often don't wait to find out if you have the delusion before they judge you. :s-smilie: Oh well. Can't do anything about it except be as friendly as possible. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I've met around 5 girls that went to private school, 2 were extremely friendly and down to earth...the other three were very stuck up. But that is just those girls... I wouldn't judge someone based on whether they went to state/private school.
Reply 62
Original post by Octohedral
I think it's changed a lot, and also depends on the person. My Dad went aged 8, and he was really shy and hated it. He felt his parents abandoned him, and he was always getting beaten and stuff.

Maybe he was just ungrateful, I don't know. Personally I would have loved to have gone to boarding school, and my friends loved it (I was a day pupil at a partial boarding school).

Not really sure where I'm going here...

Everyone is different, Prep school is a very young age to send children off, and people react in different ways, your post if fair,

but public school is very different, and the majority of people in the forum seem to hate privately educated people purely for the reason that they had a private education, which is wrong. you should judge people on their actions and personality not on where they went to school.
It's not so much that they dislike people because they went to private school. It's disliking the fact that privately educated people often have this delusion that they've achieved something by going there and they act like it.

Completely agree with this.
Original post by ah.meh
Your attempts of appearing superior than this person is laughable. do carry on.

I am not superior, well only slightly. :ahee:

I admit I have my stereotypes, hell, I do.
But at least I admit it.

Glad I made you laugh it's always nice to touch someone on a personal level over the internet.
Reply 65

Agree. Ex-private school students always seem to have an attitude and an arrogant sense of entitlement. At a place I worked, everyone did at least one tea round a week except a girl who had been to a private school and Oxford. She seemed to think it was 'below' her because of her educational background. I don't think it's the case with all private school students, but a lot seem to have such huge opinions of themselves. I guess that's the difference between state and private, state kids have less confidence as teachers are constantly telling them they're average whilst at private, the teachers are paid to tell the kids they're amazing and entitled to the best of everything.
Reply 66
Original post by ah.meh
Just because you have encountered a few rather loud people who happen to have gone to private school and you've labelled them 'rah' doesnt mean you've met them all, I am sure there were plenty of privately educated people at your uni who just fitted in perfectly that you didnt pick up on them having a private education, so your 'experience' of privately educated people is laughable.

oh for goodness sake. My uni was posh. My first year was spent in fairly expensive halls, everyone there went to private school. I know that because 1. it was obvious, and 2. because people told you and asked about where you were from etc.

Most of them were loud, most of them were 'over confident', most of the girls ran around screeching things like 'OH MY GHOD THAT'S SOOO FHUNNNIEEEE' and then not laughing. (my personal fav'). Most of them dressed in the typical public school atire- cave girl hair, uggs and pj bottoms. some of them were quite rude and stuck up.

Notice I originally said most and not all. There were people who weren't like that and were more down to earth, but they were in a tiny minority.

edit- i suppose this is more a description of my halls than the whole uni. But we are addressing the 'public school hate' issue. It's because a lot of them are ****ing awful. So sorry if you fit the stereotype (darling).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by EffieFlowers
But don't you see, they don't dislike you because of your school, but your instant opinion of them being jealous and disliking you because you're more privileged than them is definitely a key component in this. You are setting yourself up for failure, you are proving your own theory correcting by making it so.

I never take a dislikening for people because of their school, I don't give a damn, but I've most certainly taken a dislikening to you. The reason? Because you are prejudiced and won't even admit to it.
You practically just said that you wouldn't mix with people who don't attend private schools because they won't like you for it.

That is really quite infuriating.

That's not true...I'm just saying that I've experienced it and it gets very frustrating...and its not surprising people lose patience!
Original post by tootles1
Agree. Ex-private school students always seem to have an attitude and an arrogant sense of entitlement. At a place I worked, everyone did at least one tea round a week except a girl who had been to a private school and Oxford. She seemed to think it was 'below' her because of her educational background. I don't think it's the case with all private school students, but a lot seem to have such huge opinions of themselves. I guess that's the difference between state and private, state kids have less confidence as teachers are constantly telling them they're average whilst at private, the teachers are paid to tell the kids they're amazing and entitled to the best of everything.

How many of these 'ex-private school students' have you met exactly?

I've been to private school my whole life and 95% of my friends at uni went to state, and many of my close friends here have said how I am one of the nicest, soundest people they have ever met.
Reply 69
Original post by tootles1

As someone who has been to both, then spent the holidays cleaning toilets for some extra cash, I can tell you she is in the minority. :tongue:

However, I agree entirely with the confidence thing - I know a lot of very intelligent state school pupils who just don't have places like Oxford on their radar because they have never been told they can do it.
I imagine a large part of the reason is that people feel its unfair.

I went to a (not that great) state school. It's a little frustrating to see someone else given a higher quality of education, and consequently more opportunities in life, through no merit of their own.

Its the same as seeing my friend given an Ipad 2 for his birthday for no reason other than his parents spoiling him, whereas I had to earn all the money for my things.

In short, some of us feel very hard done by when one person receives much greater things than yourself when they themselves have done nothing to deserve it.
Reply 71
Original post by Mr_Platini
How many of these 'ex-private school students' have you met exactly?

I've been to private school my whole life and 95% of my friends at uni went to state, and many of my close friends here have said how I am one of the nicest, soundest people they have ever met.

I went to Durham University, which has one of the highest rates of private school students in the country. I have friends from university went to private schools who are lovely and I would never label someone initially if they'd been to a private school. However, you could definitely tell at Durham who had been to private school and who hadn't- private school students generally have a confidence which can sometimes come across as arrogance.
Reply 72
Original post by Ham22
oh for goodness sake. My uni was posh. My first year was spent in fairly expensive halls, everyone there went to private school. I know that because 1. it was obvious, and 2. because people told you and asked about where you were from etc.

Most of them were loud, most of them were 'over confident', most of the girls ran around screeching things like 'OH MY GHOD THAT'S SOOO FHUNNNIEEEE' and then not laughing. (my personal fav'). Most of them dressed in the typical public school atire- cave girl hair, uggs and pj bottoms. some of them were quite rude and stuck up.

Notice I originally said most and not all. There were people who weren't like that and were more down to earth, but they were in a tiny minority.

edit- i suppose this is more a description of my halls than the whole uni. But we are addressing the 'public school hate' issue. It's because a lot of them are ****ing awful. So sorry if you fit the stereotype (darling).

I literally can not believe such a place exists.
Reply 73
To be completely honest, jealousy!
I applied to every private school in a 4 mile radius, and was rejected from each one of them (Stupid Non/Verbal reasoning!), and I just have had a unwarranted hate since then...
all three of my older brothers and sisters go to private schools, (and my little brother just got into one #FacePalm) and I just had he burning vengeance against private schools and student that went to them, and came up with many reasonable answers as to why they should all be shut down...but 4 years down the line I've come to accept I'm an insanely jealous person....
sorry about that
Reply 74
Original post by Octohedral
As someone who has been to both, then spent the holidays cleaning toilets for some extra cash, I can tell you she is in the minority. :tongue:

However, I agree entirely with the confidence thing - I know a lot of very intelligent state school pupils who just don't have places like Oxford on their radar because they have never been told they can do it.

Lol! Good for you :smile:

Totally agree, at my comprehensive there were some really bright students but no one was encouraged to aim high.
Reply 75
Original post by ah.meh
I literally can not believe such a place exists.

ok then.
Reply 76
Original post by Minotauro
To be completely honest, jealousy!
I applied to every private school in a 4 mile radius, and was rejected from each one of them (Stupid Non/Verbal reasoning!), and I just have had a unwarranted hate since then...
all three of my older brothers and sisters go to private schools, (and my little brother just got into one #FacePalm) and I just had he burning vengeance against private schools and student that went to them, and came up with many reasonable answers as to why they should all be shut down...but 4 years down the line I've come to accept I'm an insanely jealous person....
sorry about that

lol, at least you're honest!
Original post by Xyls
And I'm sure they view you as intolerant, selfish and jealous .. Its a two way street, When you think something about someone in 99% of cases they are going to think something right back just because of your attitude towards them or your views upon them. It's how society works :tongue:

Where did I say I thought 99% are like that? Why would the see me as selfish? I did stress I would have to generalise because I haven't met all of them. Everybody on this thread is going to base their opinions on what they have seen. I have friends who went to private school but I was talking about some of the ones I have met who went to the more famous ones because have a lot more money than those from other private schools.
Original post by -Invidious-
Jealousy obviously and rightly so.

My boarding days were some of the best of my life.

my comp days were the best days of my life...

jealousy doesnt come into it. i know that my local private wouldnt have been able to cope with me, so i wouldnt have got anywhere in life if id have gone, so i certainly aint jealous of you
Reply 79
Original post by chronic_fatigue
Where did I say I thought 99% are like that? Why would the see me as selfish? I did stress I would have to generalise because I haven't met all of them. Everybody on this thread is going to base their opinions on what they have seen. I have friends who went to private school but I was talking about some of the ones I have met who went to the more famous ones because have a lot more money than those from other private schools.

No, You misunderstood :tongue: - I didn't mean you said 99% are like that, I mean 99% of the times you think something about someone or a group of people they will have an opinion about you, So when you said well I thought these people were like X X and Y, they are probably thinking Z Z and B back at you.

And Jealously and selfishness go hand in hand, especially when it comes to this sort of debate - As people don't want people to experience something they can't, which is selfish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending