The Student Room Group

help modulus equations/graphs

Can anyone help me solve the folowing question please:

-|x+1|+|1-x|=2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's various methods to solve this type of problem. Here's one:

Notice that the thing inside the first modulus changes sign at x=-1. The thing inside the 2nd modulus changes sign at x=1.

Therefore, you should consider the cases x1,1<x1,1<xx\leq -1, -1 < x \leq 1, 1 < x .
Reply 2
don't get it lol
Reply 3
what calculations you need to do to find the answer?
Reply 4
Original post by xiaoti

-|x+1|+|1-x|=2

If x<-1 will either/neither/both of your modulus be negative? and if so ... what would you have to do

What about if x>1

What about if -1<x<1

Do you now why I used these values?
Reply 5
Original post by xiaoti
what calculations you need to do to find the answer?

I'll give you an example.

Say you're taking the case x>1. Then x+1>0 and 1-x<0. Therefore |x+1|=x+1 and |1-x|=-(1-x).

So the question simplifies to -(x+1) - (1-x) = 2, therefore -x-1-1+x=2 therefore 2=-2.

This tells you that there are no solutions for x in the range x>1.

Now try the two other cases. If you get any solutions out, make sure thhat they fall in the range for that case and if so, write them down as a possible answer.
Reply 6
Original post by TenOfThem
If x<-1 will either/neither/both of your modulus be negative? and if so ... what would you have to do

What about if x>1

What about if -1<x<1

Do you now why I used these values?

so if I use x=-1, the answer will be 2, if i use x>1, the answer will be negative; and if I use -1<x<1, the answers could be negative or positive... so I don't know what would be the answer
Reply 7
Original post by xiaoti

Original post by xiaoti
so if I use x=-1, the answer will be 2, if i use x&gt;1, the answer will be negative; and if I use -1&lt;x&lt;1, the answers could be negative or positive... so I don't know what would be the answer

You have to try out all three ranges that x could fall in, and see if you can get an answer out.
Reply 8
Original post by ttoby
I'll give you an example.

Say you're taking the case x>1. Then x+1>0 and 1-x<0. Therefore |x+1|=x+1 and |1-x|=-(1-x).

So the question simplifies to -(x+1) - (1-x) = 2, therefore -x-1-1+x=2 therefore 2=-2.

This tells you that there are no solutions for x in the range x>1.

Now try the two other cases. If you get any solutions out, make sure thhat they fall in the range for that case and if so, write them down as a possible answer.

thanks mate, I understood!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by ttoby
You have to try out all three ranges that x could fall in, and see if you can get an answer out.

whenever i get a question like this, I should use the same ranges of x??? x<= -1 ; -1<x<1 ; x>1
Reply 10
Original post by xiaoti

Original post by xiaoti
whenever i get a question like this, I should use the same ranges of x??? x&lt;= -1 ; -1&lt;x&lt;1 ; x&gt;1

You don't use the exact same ranges for every question you get - the reason I chose to have the boundaries of those ranges at x=1 and x=-1 is because the things inside the modulus signs change sign at x=-1 or x=1.
Reply 11
Original post by ttoby
You don't use the exact same ranges for every question you get - the reason I chose to have the boundaries of those ranges at x=1 and x=-1 is because the things inside the modulus signs change sign at x=-1 or x=1.

ok thanks :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 12
another question:
how would you draw the graph y= Sin|2x|
Reply 13
Original post by xiaoti

Original post by xiaoti
another question:
how would you draw the graph y= Sin|2x|

When x0x\geq 0 then |2x|=2x so sin|2x| = sin(2x).

When x<0 then |2x| = -2x so sin|2x|=sin(-2x).

Therefore, you need to take the graph of y=sin(2x) and make it so that the part for x<0 is the same as the part for x>0 but reflected in the y axis.
Reply 14
Original post by ttoby
When x0x\geq 0 then |2x|=2x so sin|2x| = sin(2x).

When x<0 then |2x| = -2x so sin|2x|=sin(-2x).

Therefore, you need to take the graph of y=sin(2x) and make it so that the part for x<0 is the same as the part for x>0 but reflected in the y axis.

sdf.png the change for the modulus would be the red bit ???
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by xiaoti
sdf.png

the lines of the x-axis are 90, 180, 270,360
Reply 16
help pleas
Reply 17
Original post by xiaoti

Original post by xiaoti
sdf.png the change for the modulus would be the red bit ???

Almost - the loop at the left end of the curve should be pointing downwards. It would look a bit like this:

Reply 18
Original post by ttoby
Almost - the loop at the left end of the curve should be pointing downwards. It would look a bit like this:

should'nt it be a stretch of 1/x in the x-axis???
Reply 19
Original post by xiaoti

Original post by xiaoti
should'nt it be a stretch of 1/x in the x-axis???

That graph has already been stretched (but by 1/2 not 1/x) and then reflected

Quick Reply

Latest