The Student Room Group

Edexcel chemistry - unit 2 19th january 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alpha-Omega
Why do we use damp litmus paper again? Can't find my notes

its damp to ensure that the gas molecules can stick to the paper (and hence change the colour of the limtus paper)

i highly doubt they will ask that but it's worth remembering
Original post by James A
its damp to ensure that the gas molecules can stick to the paper (and hence change the colour of the limtus paper)

Ah yeah, that reminds me of why damp red phosphorus is used too to react with iodine to make PI3.
Reply 382
Original post by James A

Original post by James A

QUICK Q:

what colour is methyl orange in acid & alkali???

(just to double check phenolpthalein is colourless in acid and pink in alkali right?)
I really hope section C is all on equilibrium, it or the breakdown on the O-zone layer both a lot of marks for quite simple stuff!
Original post by wam-bam
QUICK Q:

what colour is methyl orange in acid & alkali???

(just to double check phenolpthalein is colourless in acid and pink in alkali right?)

Methyl Orange
Acid: Red
Base: Yellow
End-point Colour: Orange

Phenolphthalein
Acid: Colourless
Base: Purple
End-point Colour: Pink
Original post by GraemeLawd
I really hope section C is all on equilibrium, it or the breakdown on the O-zone layer both a lot of marks for quite simple stuff!

I agree.
Reply 386

Methyl Orange
Acid: Red
Base: Yellow
End-point Colour: Orange

Phenolphthalein
Acid: Colourless
Base: Purple
End-point Colour: Pink

Thank you very much
&
GOOD LUCK!
Reply 387
Original post by wam-bam

even though i don't think you'll need it :tongue:
good luck guys, im gonna leave to travel to school now. i should arrive there by half 1, discuss things about the paper with mates in my class, then do the paper!

No exam discussion please! (after the exam until 4am the next day)
Reply 389
Original post by James A
your not supposed to learn all those definitions. for unit 1 yes, but not unit 2. only from here you need to know the trends and the gas colours

yes,but i wrote it for understanding...if you dont know the meaning of a term correctly it wont be easy to understand the question...right??
No discussion until 4:30 AM. :sad:
Original post by NutterFrutter
No discussion until 4:30 AM. :sad:

The wait is long
Original post by Silkysam
I didn't like this paper at all. The questions were weird. I'm so disappointed as I was getting 90%+ on all my past papers and then this one I reckon I'll be lucky to get an A.

Anyone else notice a lack of questions on kinetics and equlibria?

Yes! Kinetics and equlibria are pretty easy topics but worth a lot of marks usually but not having anything really on either was fairly annoying. Was a strange paper.
Reply 393
why not why cant i disscuss the exam is over
Original post by alz333

Original post by alz333

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=371&a=629
Original post by alz333
what do u guys think the grade boundaries will be like

They're probably higher than previous past papers. Although, I hope I'm wrong.
Original post by alz333

PEOPLE TAKE EDEXCEL EXAMS ALL OVER THE WORLD, WE MAY HAVE FINISHED THE PAPER, DOESN't MEAN THE INTERNATIONAL CANDIDATES HAVE
Reply 397
we cand discuss now how did u find it then
Reply 398
section c was really weird for sure multiple choice was standard so was section b expect a few questions such as the intermediate transistion state
Original post by alz333
section c was really weird for sure multiple choice was standard so was section b expect a few questions such as the intermediate transistion state

the intermediate bit was alright, i put for the first one the sn2 intermediate and for the next one i put the sn1 where you form the carbocation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending