The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Unit 4 26/01/12 PM

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James A
hydrolysis of a nitrile( in acidic conditions you get your carboxylic acid. in alkali conditions you get your salt, which you then further react with a h+ catalyst to get your cooh group),

hydrolysis of a hydroxynitrile which produces the cooh group and an ammonium ion

:colondollar:

You're doing well, James, you're doing well :colone:
Original post by oHellno
I can't find the June 2011 paper anywhere, could you guys link me please? :puppyeyes:

Found the June 2011 paper here: http://www.mediafire.com/?znfe2s81dn5tf6x

mark scheme: http://www.mediafire.com/?3vwr5thuri4jroa

Am i right in thinking there are 4 past papers for us for this exam? (Jan 2010, June 2010, Jan 2011 and June 2011)?
Reply 182
Original post by giraffegiraffe
Found the June 2011 paper here: http://www.mediafire.com/?znfe2s81dn5tf6x

mark scheme: http://www.mediafire.com/?3vwr5thuri4jroa

Am i right in thinking there are 4 past papers for us for this exam? (Jan 2010, June 2010, Jan 2011 and June 2011)?

Thank youuuuu! +rep

And yep, there are four :smile:
Guys, a bit of advice please!
I am taking 5 other maths modules this January and am only really starting revision for chem now, is there still enough time left do you think, and what do people reckon the best way to revise quickly is?
Hey guys, hope revision is all well :h:

Firstly, in my cgp revision guide (pg 55) it shows a carboxylic acid being reduced to a primary alcohol when reacting the acid with H+. Shouldn't it be H^- ??

Because, when you are doing the mechnasim for the reduction of an acid to an alcohol, you draw the H^- attacking the carbon.

:confused:
Original post by bennybaruch
Guys, a bit of advice please!
I am taking 5 other maths modules this January and am only really starting revision for chem now, is there still enough time left do you think, and what do people reckon the best way to revise quickly is?

for the love of god know your organic chemistry and the formulae for the other stuff.
Reply 186
FML Do we have to know the mechanism for the hydrolysis of acyl chlorides (like it forms carboxylic acids).
We spent a whole lesson making notes on it. Wow it is SO hard!
Original post by EffKayy
FML Do we have to know the mechanism for the hydrolysis of acyl chlorides (like it forms carboxylic acids).

Edexcel revision guide doesnt have it, CGP revision guide doesnt have it. George probably does.
Will go check.
Reply 188
Original post by .snowflake.
Edexcel revision guide doesnt have it, CGP revision guide doesnt have it. George probably does.
Will go check.

nope it doesnt.
But the textbook doesnt have it either (official edexcel one).. but the cd (active teach) has it.. and we all basically were there like wtfffffff. :frown: Swear im going to fail hahaha
Original post by EffKayy
nope it doesnt.
But the textbook doesnt have it either (official edexcel one).. but the cd (active teach) has it.. and we all basically were there like wtfffffff. :frown: Swear im going to fail hahaha

if george doesnt have it, we probs don't need it. if all else fails CHECK THE SPEC!
Reply 190
Original post by This Honest

Original post by This Honest
Hey guys, hope revision is all well :h:

Firstly, in my cgp revision guide (pg 55) it shows a carboxylic acid being reduced to a primary alcohol when reacting the acid with H+. Shouldn't it be H^- ??

Because, when you are doing the mechnasim for the reduction of an acid to an alcohol, you draw the H^- attacking the carbon.

:confused:

We never deal with H- though. In all honesty I've never seen the mechanism for that, but I wouldn't have thought it was a H-.

Original post by EffKayy

Nope, just need to know the coniditions/products of all its reactions.
Reply 191
Original post by oHellno
We never deal with H- though. In all honesty I've never seen the mechanism for that, but I wouldn't have thought it was a H-.

Nope, just need to know the coniditions/products of all its reactions.

Great, we spent a whole hour going over this stupid mechanism haha fmllll.

How's revision? :biggrin:
Reply 192
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy
Great, we spent a whole hour going over this stupid mechanism haha fmllll.

How's revision? :biggrin:

I was just looking through a folder and it turns out we got taught the mechanism too. It's not even in the specification so it was a waste of time. Good thing I didn't take anything in during the lessons then lol.

Revisions okayy, I've done like all the past papers and they've been okay, gone through my notes, don't really know what to do anymore. Youuu?
Revision is going ok. i have a test on the further organic chemistry and spectroscopy shizzle tomorrow. last thing. Going to spend my frees and lunch tomorrow revising because I NEED to do well so my other teacher doesnt think im completely dim. I've had two lessons with him. ive done redox equations (unit 5) and a test of pH, buffers and stuff. Hated both parts. first lesson he asks me 'are you good at chemistry'. I looked at him and gawped.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by .snowflake.
Revision is going ok. i have a test on the further organic chemistry and spectroscopy shizzle tomorrow. last thing. Going to spend my frees and lunch tomorrow revising because I NEED to do well so my other teacher doesnt think im completely dim. I've had two lessons with him. ive done redox equations (unit 5) and a test of pH, buffers and stuff. Hated both parts.

Organic chem is amazing <3 :L
I hate spectroscopy though, well its okay but NMR is annoying..
Original post by EffKayy
Organic chem is amazing <3 :L
I hate spectroscopy though, well its okay but NMR is annoying..

Organic is my baby. i <3 it because once you know the mechanisms/ what happens it doesnt do nothing weird.
Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh
probably not,but might need to justify the equation..

eg.

CH3CH2CN + 2 H20 ---> CH3CH2COOH + NH3

Close, but the equation, which a few pointed out is:

CH3CN +2H20 + HCL ------> CH3COOH +NH4CL
But yeah how is everyone's revision going? I have applied for medicine so a pretty nerve racking January at the minute :smile:

I am revising a lot! I got 264/300 in AS, so I am aiming for an A* (I wont get it).

Right challenge time: Try not to use your books etc but im not forcing anyone if they want to...

I want a buffer of pH 4. Using ethanoic acid and sodium ethanoate, calculate the ratio of acid to salt needed. Ill make up Ka for the acid, which if I remember correctly is, 1.75 x 10^-5moldm^3

Rep+ please if you think it is a good question.

Answer is here in white :smile:

Rearranging Ka so that you have Ka over H+ conc = salt over acid

This is your ratio and it is: 0.175 moles of salt to every 1 mole of acid i.e. Ka over H+ conc = 0.175
Reply 198
Original post by NinjaRikki
But yeah how is everyone's revision going? I have applied for medicine so a pretty nerve racking January at the minute :smile:

I am revising a lot! I got 264/300 in AS, so I am aiming for an A* (I wont get it).

Right challenge time: Try not to use your books etc but im not forcing anyone if they want to...

I want a buffer of pH 4. Using ethanoic acid and sodium ethanoate, calculate the ratio of acid to salt needed. Ill make up Ka for the acid, which if I remember correctly is, 1.75 x 10^-5moldm^3

Rearranging Ka so that you have Ka over H+ conc = salt over acid

This is your ratio and it is: 0.175 moles of salt to every 1 mole of acid i.e. Ka over H+ conc = 0.175

Great question and it might help me sleep since i got it right. THANKS :smile:

Decent question for practice, simple enough. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending