The Student Room Group

Old Lady On Bus - I Didn't Give Up My Seat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Kiss
Yesterday I was sitting on the bottom deck - quite quiet, not very busy - and I was asked by an old lady if I she could have my seat. I wasn't sitting next to anyone, I was next to the window and I was about 2 rows away from the elderly designated spot.
I asked her why and she told me because 'she liked the window seat' - :s-smilie: :s-smilie: There was at least 6 empty spaces which she could have gone to and 2 of those had a window view. And when I refused to give up my seat she started prattling on about how she's earned more right to a seat than I have etc. She eventually shuffled over to one of the other window seats, but she started moaning about me when I was within earshot.

I'm a little stunned at how ungreatful she was and her reasoning for wanting a window seat is just ridiculous. She was just plain rude.

Another incident which annoyed me was when I had been waiting for a bus for about 10 minutes and a group of elderly people arrived about 3 minutes before the bus arrived - they noticed I had been waiting first, but when the bus appeared they all moved forward infront of me and got on first, without even asking me if they could get on first.

It's that deserving/expectant attitude that some old people have which really annoys me a lot. I'd happily give up my place in line or my seat if I was asked nicely and if they gave me a decent reasoning for doing so. But it's that 'we're old, we deserve everything' attitude which annoys me so much.

Have you ever had a similar experience/known of something similar??

Old people just like to moan about things I bet she'l go call her grandchildren and start giving it all this "oh there was such a rude young teen on the bus today he wouldn't give up his seat for me I had to walk all the way to the other side of the bus to sit down WAHHH". Sorry - I just really can't stand it when older people just moan about young people as if we deserve nothing and they deserve everything - just because you've been alive longer doesn't mean you've done anything for society.
Life is give and take and by their age they should realise, treat others with respect and they'll treat you with respect, don't expect everything to be given to you.
Reply 81
Original post by No Man
Respect is a 2 way street. Them being old isn't an excuse for demanding respect while not respecting others.

I don´t care for a lack of respect of old aged persons. what I can do is paying respect to them and feel good. they are difficult sometimes I know but being old isn´t very lovely then. so I try to pay them respect and cheer them up a bit. the least I could do to make their lives better and fight against negative stereotypes they might have.
Reply 82
Original post by Cynthi007
I don´t care for a lack of respect of old aged persons. what I can do is paying respect to them and feel good. they are difficult sometimes I know but being old isn´t very lovely then. so I try to pay them respect and cheer them up a bit. the least I could do to make their lives better and fight against negative stereotypes they might have.

The negative stereotypes grumpy old people have will never change, because grumpy/moany old people are too stubborn to change their opinion, so I don't respect them if they are rude to me.

However, I do respect old people if they don't act superior and live the remainder of their life in high spirits (which a lot do).
Reply 83
I was getting a night bus in London once and tried to use my Oyster but it didn't have any money on it, so I reached into my bag to get some change out and heard two old ladies near the back of the bus moaning that I shouldn't be on this bus, young people are so ignorant these days, I was holding up the bus for everyone etc etc. I was feeling a bit brave so went up to them and calmly asked if there was a problem, they then accused me of picking on them because they were old and that I had no respect.
Reply 84
pretty shocking to see hw hostile people on tsr are towards elder people. embarassing.

I would have stand up and wish her a nice day. she is old and only asked for a seat! no matter how many were available.

I don´t try to understand old age people but I try to respect them and treat them good as long as they are alive. they deserve it. I don´t care if they are rude sometimes.

I laugh at negs given by immature teenagers who don´t even have the guts to respect old aged people.let´s start a neg war if you have fun with that.

I respect older people as much as the individual deserves, I'm not going to respect someone just because they get a pension. If an old woman got onto the bus had a few shopping bags and there were no more seats at the front and I was at the front I'd move, if she came on and started shouting about how young people are ungrateful and selfish I'd think twice about it. Just because they're old doesn't mean they have to throw their dignity down the toilet - stop shouting about young people constantly, and treat others how you want to be treated.
ever heard of respect for elder people???? you don´t have to like them but respect them. if they are grumpy, who cares? give them a warm smile and wish a good day and let them be.

opinions like yours are the reason why old aged people don´t like teenagers!

No, it's opinions like yours that give them the false sense of entitlement to unhindered power over anyone younger than them. There is absolutely no reason to demand someone moves on the bus when you are surrounded by empty seats. No-one deserves to get anything whatsoever just because of their "age". My respect for old people is merely on the basis that they are a decent person, and giving up a seat on the bus etc. is solely because they need help (same rationale to the pregnant and young injured/disabled etc.) - not because of the number on their birth certificate.

Not that most old people are anything like this anyway. Old people are no different to children, teenagers, "youth" and the middle aged. You get some good people, you get some bad people.
Reply 86
Original post by HEJ92
stop shouting about young people constantly, and treat others how you want to be treated.

that´s what I do. I just can´t stand stupidity and intolerance.

and I think they deserve respect. let them be rude but don´t be rude to them only because they are. that´s my point. but I am older than you and I have a different mentality and differemnt values, which is hard to understand sometimes. I have the same problem from time to time with my bf, who isn´t German and just totally different. he has problems to understand what I think and why and it´s the same the other way round.
Reply 87
that´s what I do. I just can´t stand stupidity and intolerance.

and I think they deserve respect. let them be rude but don´t be rude to them only because they are. that´s my point. but I am older than you and I have a different mentality and differemnt values, which is hard to understand sometimes. I have the same problem from time to time with my bf, who isn´t German and just totally different. he has problems to understand what I think and why and it´s the same the other way round.

I understand everyone is different and has different values but why should you have to go out of your way to be kind to someone who is being really rude to you, just ignore them - it seems rude of you at the time but in the long run it just makes that rude person look like a fool - as did the old woman in OP's scenario.
Reply 88
Original post by No Man
Respect is a 2 way street. Them being old isn't an excuse for demanding respect while not respecting others.

Indeed! There shouldn't be a double standard just because they're old
Reply 89
Original post by GentlemanOfTheRoad
i see you're from Edinburgh too! This happens all the time

On a different topic, i was waiting with my friend who was on crutches after seeing a film and i hailed down a taxi who stopped next to us, and two, middle aged, not old, i'd say late 50s early 60s, women who were waiting down the street came up, got in the taxi, and told us to **** off and get the next one, and when the cab driver said that boys on crutches, they said that they'd call the taxi company and complain, we did argue but they just swore and shouted. Then made some snide comment about the ******* on crutches and it was a shame that they we would have to wait before erupting in copious amounts of laughter, it was really quite unbelievable

Disgusting.
I would've got in the taxi and pushed them out.

Idiots.
Reply 90
Hm, I've been in a not at all similar situation (I just want to share :biggrin:)

I was just getting up from my seat just as a woman came on to the bus. Obviously thinking I was giving up my seat for her, she started yelling 'I'm not pregnant! I'm just carrying a little holiday weight!' and went on some rant about how youngsters like me make people like her feel insecure about their weight. When she finished, I just replied 'Um, sorry for the misunderstanding, but this is my stop' and side stepped around her so I could get off the bus.
Original post by aeterno
Hm, I've been in a not at all similar situation (I just want to share :biggrin:)

I was just getting up from my seat just as a woman came on to the bus. Obviously thinking I was giving up my seat for her, she started yelling 'I'm not pregnant! I'm just carrying a little holiday weight!' and went on some rant about how youngsters like me make people like her feel insecure about their weight. When she finished, I just replied 'Um, sorry for the misunderstanding, but this is my stop' and side stepped around her so I could get off the bus.

What did she do then? :teehee:
Reply 92
Original post by Bella Occhi
What did she do then? :teehee:

As I was stepping off the bus I saw her quietly sit down in my seat and stare at her feet :teehee:
Original post by callum9999
Well yes... It's called a queue...
No doubt it seemed random to you, but the rest of the people there were secretly fuming that you violated the unwritten and unspoken rule of waiting for the bus!

Original post by Kiss
In my experience it goes as a que but sometimes if there are elderly people or people with young children/prams they get on first

Well they can sit and fume, then. Tbh it's good for them, the steam coming from their ears will warm them up in these freezing winter months :smile:
I know people queue up, and there are people who get priority (like the elderly or pregnant women/people carrying children), but people have always queued up with no particular regard for when they showed up at the bus stop. I don't particularly mind if I've been at the bus stop for half an hour and someone comes along a minute or two before the bus shows up. It's a different story if they're running to catch up and just push in front of you though, that's rude even in situations outside of waiting for a bus.

Although you're right to be pissed off by this, the old lady was probably having a power trip from eating too many caramel wafers or something.
Original post by k9markiii
Free bus passes annoy me. Why should students have to pay over £200 for a bus pass when everyone over 60 gets one for free.

Why should you get cheaper buss passes than the other masses?
Original post by silverbolt
Why should you get cheaper buss passes than the other masses?

I'm not saying students should get cheaper but I don't see why all people over 60 get them regardless when it costs the government. There are about 14 million people over the age of 65 in the UK. If they all paid, it would be equivalent to £2.9 billion. I think that is a significant cost and although there should be a discount for those who are unable to drive, there doesn't need to be a blanket free bus pass.
Some people are just too random for their own good :frown:
Original post by tufc
Giving up your seat is done because someone is less able to stand, not because they want a particular seat.

There were other seats available, so that is just not true :s-smilie:
Reply 98
Original post by burning-ape
Well they can sit and fume, then. Tbh it's good for them, the steam coming from their ears will warm them up in these freezing winter months :smile:
I know people queue up, and there are people who get priority (like the elderly or pregnant women/people carrying children), but people have always queued up with no particular regard for when they showed up at the bus stop. I don't particularly mind if I've been at the bus stop for half an hour and someone comes along a minute or two before the bus shows up. It's a different story if they're running to catch up and just push in front of you though, that's rude even in situations outside of waiting for a bus.

Although you're right to be pissed off by this, the old lady was probably having a power trip from eating too many caramel wafers or something.

Probably lol
pretty shocking to see how hostile people on tsr are towards elder people. embarassing.

I would have stand up and wish her a nice day. she is old and only asked for a seat! no matter how many were available.

I don´t try to understand old age people but I try to respect them and treat them good as long as they are alive. they deserve it. I don´t care if they are rude sometimes.

I laugh at negs given by immature teenagers who don´t even have the guts to respect old aged people.let´s start a neg war if you have fun with that.

come on tsr, I am a bit disappointed. I wanted a real neg witch hunt and all I got is 14 negs... hahahahaha

We are hostile towards rude people who are being unreasonable. It doesn't matter that she was old, she was a rude person who was being unreasonable. There were several other seats to sit in, she was being deliberately annoying, and using the fact that she was old as a justification.

Anyone who is being that unreasonable does not deserve to get there way :wink::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending