The Student Room Group

Will a Maths Degree Cover...

I've been aspiring to Mathematics at Cambridge for a while (couple of years off yet), but after reading a lot, especially now halfway through Gödel, Escher, Bach, I've found myself increasingly fascinated with logic, formal systems, recursion, fractals and so forth... Is a Mathematics course the best suited for study of this sort of area, or would say a Computer Science and Mathematics course be better? I'm finding myself leaning towards the latter to an extent if only for what seems like a little more scope for research, careers etc, but Russell, Turing, Hofstadter et al all started with Mathematics degrees. Any clarification would be fantastic!
Fractals are usually covered in mathematics. At Warwick logic is covered by the philosophy department with a module in Set theory run by CS.
Edit: Sorry, the module in set theory is covered in maths.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
At Cambridge that's all covered in maths.
Reply 3
Original post by VeryEarly
I've been aspiring to Mathematics at Cambridge for a while (couple of years off yet), but after reading a lot, especially now halfway through Gödel, Escher, Bach, I've found myself increasingly fascinated with logic, formal systems, recursion, fractals and so forth... Is a Mathematics course the best suited for study of this sort of area, or would say a Computer Science and Mathematics course be better? I'm finding myself leaning towards the latter to an extent if only for what seems like a little more scope for research, careers etc, but Russell, Turing, Hofstadter et al all started with Mathematics degrees. Any clarification would be fantastic!

same :smile:
It should all be covered in a maths degree as people said, but there are (should be) computer science modules which you can take if your are interested in them at most top unis while doing a maths degree.
Reply 5
I'd say those things should be covered by maths, most maths degrees have a couple of basic computing modules anyway but any others you want to take you would probably be allowed to providing they didn't have prerequisites. Generally speaking by taking a straight subject you have less core modules, so you have more options to take modules from outside your subject even though you might have to fight for them.
If you look at the degree requirements you will usually find a list that says things like "at least 100 credits from ......, 20 credits from any 4th year module ....." trying looking on the Cambridge site for the maths subject handbook (I know that at my uni, St Andrews, these are relatively easy to find and I would think most unis would be the same). Or e-mail admissions asking about where you could find out about specific degree requirements in terms of what modules you'll have to take and how much wiggle room there is to do modules outside your degree.

Quick Reply

Latest