The Student Room Group

Engineering A levels vs Btec

Hi

Want to do engineering because maths and physics are my strong points but not sure which type of engineering I would enjoy most at the moment.

Question is what would be best way forward 3 A levels or a btec in engineering and what would be best option next a good uni for degree or do an apprenticeship.

Also if Btec engineering does it include enough maths to help with your career or do you need to do more maths later?

Thoughts and tips appreciated
(edited 6 months ago)
If your aim is to do a degree in engineering then I would suggest doing A-levels, as they are fundamentally academic courses requiring good preparation in maths and physics (and/or other sciences). This is also a good preparation for a degree apprenticeship route.

Most engineering courses will accept maths and physics so you don't need to decide now if you're doing both of those. Further maths would be a very good idea (as you'll need to cover those topics once at uni anyway) and for some fields chemistry can be useful (mainly chemical engineering or materials science).

A-level Maths/physics/chemistry +/- further maths will pretty much cover your bases for virtually any area of engineering. If you don't like chemistry though it's not required by any means (a couple of chemical engineering courses may not be an option without it but most will accept either physics or chemistry and don't require one or the other or both specifically).
Id strongly recommend A-levels if you wish to study engineering at university. Pretty much all courses at least require A-level maths.

If you want to work in certain areas of engineering such as hands on roles manufacturing/field engineering then an apprenticeship is alright, if you want to work in R&D id go for an MEng.

Quick Reply

Latest