The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Had about 900 but had to buy a laptop for uni. Now I have about 250...it's slowly coming back up. Btw does anyone know what the best savings account is?
Original post by Kiirk
It's possible, assuming you don't mind working 20 hours a week whilst in education.

I think I had around that by my 18th birthday.

TIP: standing orders become almost vital for saving.

I'm working full time, around 30 hours a week, so it won't be a problem.
Original post by julifak
Had about 900 but had to buy a laptop for uni. Now I have about 250...it's slowly coming back up. Btw does anyone know what the best savings account is?

There isn't one.

You can put in 10,000 pound into an ISA and you'll make around 100 a year lmao, something utterly pointless.

Just make more money
-1450 in total in my bank, no kidding :biggrin:
About £1,500 I think, and I'm 19. I want to go on holiday at the end of this year though so some of that will likely be spent, but you only live once and money is for spending, not hoarding :smile:
Original post by Sweet_Heart
About £1,500 I think, and I'm 19. I want to go on holiday at the end of this year though so some of that will likely be spent, but you only live once and money is for spending, not hoarding :smile:

Of course you've got to be good to yourself sweetheart. I'm just more of a saver than a spender though :smile:
£30,000 - First year of Uni. I'm 23.
Original post by StudyHard_LiveBetter
£30,000 - First year of Uni. I'm 23.

Well done to you. How did you manage to save up so much?
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
Well done to you. How did you manage to save up so much?

Thanks! :smile:

Working Full time managed to contribute around 17k of that (That was for 2 years)the rest is working part time during studies.
Original post by StudyHard_LiveBetter
Thanks! :smile:

Working Full time managed to contribute around 17k of that (That was for 2 years)the rest is working part time during studies.

You have a very good work ethic and a strong sense of determination to have saved all of that money up. Well done to you sir.
Original post by x.Crystal.x
-£1,800. £200 of my overdraft to last until Feb. Sweet. And that's not including the £500 on my credit card...

Spoiler

I am actually the exact same as you (giver or take £20).
Around 17k: 1k from bonds accumulated over the years from grandparents, another 1k(ish) from savings from birthdays/Christmas' and stuff. The 15k is from a courtcase when I was younger: my family went to a hotel abroad when I was around 9/10 (I think) and we all contracted a disease - as did many others in the hotel at the time.
So pretty much everyone sued the hotel but I received an unusually high settlement because the disease may have negatively contributed towards my health in the longer term...
£-444

Whats the use in that?!
Just checked and I have £18,393 :frown: I'm 15.
Original post by coolmushroom
Just checked and I have £18,393 :frown: I'm 15.

Sad times all round then.

How did you accrue such wealth at a young age?
I have all of about £800 to my name from this month's wages. Shameful really, as I'm nearer 30 than 20 now! Everything I saved when I was young ended up being spent at uni while I did my undergrad, then everything I saved while I was working got spent while I was doing my Masters. Now I'm working again, I'm going to be putting away a few hundred a month so I'll (hopefully) have enough for a deposit on a flat in a couple of years without needing any help from the bank of mum and dad.
ERROR
Original post by Leavemyarcelona
Sad times all round then.

How did you accrue such wealth at a young age?

The details of my life are quite inconsequential ... Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize; he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament ... My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon ... luge lessons ... In the spring, we'd make meat helmets ... When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds pretty standard, really. At the age of 12, I received my first scribe. At the age of 14, a Zoroastrian named Vilmer ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum it's breathtaking ... I suggest you try it.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential ... Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize; he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament ... My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon ... luge lessons ... In the spring, we'd make meat helmets ... When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds pretty standard, really. At the age of 12, I received my first scribe. At the age of 14, a Zoroastrian named Vilmer ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum it's breathtaking ... I suggest you try it.

..........and you still didn't answer the question.

So did Vilmer give you the 18 grand after shaving your nads then?

Latest

Trending

Trending