The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LonelySoul193

..........and you still didn't answer the question.

Sorry that was the prelude - basically from the age 12-15 I have used the skills I acquired to work as a circus entertainer and that is how the small fortune was acquired.
Reply 301
1,800 at last count with savings and current accounts. However I am trying to save up for a couple of bits in the upcoming years. Plus I only have a 8 hour a week job which means most of my student loan money goes to accomdation and food :/
Original post by GeoMyles
1,800 at last count with savings and current accounts. However I am trying to save up for a couple of bits in the upcoming years. Plus I only have a 8 hour a week job which means most of my student loan money goes to accomdation and food :/

What are you saving up for my friend?
Original post by Leavemyarcelona

So did Vilmer give you the 18 grand after shaving your nads then?

He didn't give me it, I acquired it using the skills he gave to me. BTW mirin' username.
An embarrassingly large amount that I did nothing to earn, so I normally keep it to myself. The information I mean, not the money - try to be generous where possible with that.

I'm new here but does this sort of discussion get handled honestly, or do people just use things like this to make jokes or to boast? There seems to be a sort of competition about who is poorest. I find it hard to talk with people about finances as someone who is "well off" for fear of getting put down, etc.

So pretty much everyone sued the hotel but I received an unusually high settlement because the disease may have negatively contributed towards my health in the longer term...

What in Virchow's name did you contract!?!!!? HIV?!
How Much Money do You Have in the Bank?

Student account: Minus £1,600
Current account: 3,000€
-£1500 and about
£2.35 in my savings!

FML :/
Original post by EllaService
An embarrassingly large amount that I did nothing to earn, so I normally keep it to myself. The information I mean, not the money - try to be generous where possible with that.

I'm new here but does this sort of discussion get handled honestly, or do people just use things like this to make jokes or to boast? There seems to be a sort of competition about who is poorest. I find it hard to talk with people about finances as someone who is "well off" for fear of getting put down, etc.

Well some people, such as myself, take it seriously, whereas others take the piss. Don't worry about it, it's just like life, some people will give you a hard time through jealousy and such, so just tell them to **** off.

If I had a lot of money through no hard work of my own I wouldn't give a solitary **** what other people thought.
Original post by Hippysnake
What in Virchow's name did you contract!?!!!? HIV?!

No. It was mostly based on the suggestion that it contributed to my poor mental state of health. Essentially, the lawyers tried to twist it as much as possible to get the highest amount of money they could from the hotel. My younger brother got about half of what I got because he suffered the worst from the disease upon contraction. And my parents only received around 1k each.
75 quid, i use it regularly hehe
Reply 311
Adding up all the money in my two savings accounts and my current account I come to £732.56.

Makes me very happy, when I think I actually earnt that much on my own :biggrin: My parents are contributing money which goes straight into savings (so they don't have to pay me a lump sum at the start of uni for accomodation etc.) so that makes up about half of that money, but I've earnt the rest myself (and spent it on, you know, living!)
Original post by twelve
Adding up all the money in my two savings accounts and my current account I come to £732.56.

Makes me very happy, when I think I actually earnt that much on my own :biggrin: My parents are contributing money which goes straight into savings (so they don't have to pay me a lump sum at the start of uni for accomodation etc.) so that makes up about half of that money, but I've earnt the rest myself (and spent it on, you know, living!)

Good for you. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? Saving up for university is definitely a wise decision.
Reply 313
Good for you. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? Saving up for university is definitely a wise decision.

I'm 19 - finished my A levels in the summer. Haven't worked as much as I would like to have done, but I'll be working lots after New Year hopefully :biggrin:
Reply 314
current account (money I actually spend) - £100
savings account (mostly inheritance, have never touched it) £3000

and then there's investments/stocks... my grandpa has been buying shares on my behalf for about 15 years, I don't really know how that's going though... some of the shares have been held for 10+ years so the I assume the interest is pretty good. could be anywhere between £5000 and £20000, but I definitely won't be using that for a while.
Reply 315
I have about 32p at the moment... Eek! -__-
£2.63 I think, I think of it as my emergency fried chicken money.
Original post by Lumos
current account (money I actually spend) - £100
savings account (mostly inheritance, have never touched it) £3000

and then there's investments/stocks... my grandpa has been buying shares on my behalf for about 15 years, I don't really know how that's going though... some of the shares have been held for 10+ years so the I assume the interest is pretty good. could be anywhere between £5000 and £20000, but I definitely won't be using that for a while.

You're definitely in a really good position, you must be delighted. Is there anything in particular that you're saving up for?
Original post by L. Serafy
£2.63 I think, I think of it as my emergency fried chicken money.

Good man.
Reply 319
You're definitely in a really good position, you must be delighted. Is there anything in particular that you're saving up for?

Honestly I have no idea! I'll be getting a student loan anyway, what with total uni costs being something in the range of £40,000 :/ I suppose I'll put most of it in a fixed rate account... I think you can get 4% interest per annum if you don't use it for 4 years, seems like a good option. I'm not really counting on the investments though, as they're so subject to change... Might take a gap yeah to get a job and make some money!

Any suggestions would be great though! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending