The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Luceria
Okay, I'll post here again. I don't know have if i have OCD. Though when I was younger I felt the need to arrange my toys in a certain order. I eventually grew out of it.

I get intrusive thoughts and I've had them for years. I remember negative incidents far too well. My brain obsesses over them. When I close my eyes when I go to sleep, I see things I don't want to see. And think about things I don't want to think about. Anything can trigger a memory. Especially when everything is quiet and I have nothing to do. Then the thoughts will creep into my head again.

I'm also a big worrier. I'll check several times if the stove is really off, if my phone is still in my pocket, if my locker is still locked. I've left a shop and walked all the way back to the car because I wasn't sure if it was locked (even though I checked several times before I left). Then when I'm back I'll still be a little unsure.

Soo proud of you for posting (for some reason I seem to really like you lol :tongue:) :hugs:

I've made purple the bits that I also do as well :yep:

I think you might have OCD but that's my opinion, you would need to speak to a doctor or psychologist to confirm :yep:

Original post by popple7
-

Original post by Luceria
I also feel the need to pull out hair (since I was 10 years old). Eyelashes and eyebrows. It's not really noticeable, but it's been hard. Some months ago I found myself pulling at my hair, but I managed to stop myself. The fact that it feels so good pulling out hair is a little disturbing. I rather wish I had a habit of biting my nails or something like that! I've managed to gain more control over myself over the last few years, but I can't seem to stop completely.

This sounds like trich. We've got about 4 trich posters here so they might be able to better help and support/advice you. I'll quote poppy here too so she can know :smile: She looks to be offline now but I'm sure she'll get back soon enough.

Overall though, welcome to our thread and please keep posting :jumphug:
Reply 381
Original post by Luceria

Original post by Luceria
I did this last March. Didn't really feel like my GP took me seriously and I don't feel like seeing her again. I'd have to get another GP.

I was put on a waiting list and after 7 months I got a letter with the date and time for my appointment. But I had already moved away for uni and didn't go.

It sucks when GP's do that :sadnod:

I think you should book another appointment :yy:
Reply 382
Yeah sometimes these GP's take so long. Its very annoying.
So yesterday I took half my thumb nail, skin and tissue off from a little accident involving a potato peeler. Its really really bad and raw so it wouldn't stop bleeding and probably still would be without the bandage.

Although good news is I really can't pull anymore in the only area that was tempting

Every cloud has a silver lining :tongue:

Also I see a new trich poster hello :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 384
Original post by kaylafrances
So yesterday I took half my thumb nail, skin and tissue off from a little accident involving a potato peeler. Its really really bad and raw so it wouldn't stop bleeding and probably still would be without the bandage.

Although good news is I really can't pull anymore in the only area that was tempting

Every cloud has a silver lining :tongue:

Also I see a new trich poster hello :smile:

That really is good and bad news :frown: Pain must hurt though, hope it gets better for you :hugs:

Maybe you could also chat with said trich poster, popple seems to be taking her sweet time :tongue:

Original post by Luceria
You're very kind. :hugs:.

It seems to be very difficult to get an appointment with a psychologist. The waiting lists are never-ending. I've felt depressed since I was 15 and sometimes it's hard to be taken seriously. I know you shouldn't self diagnose though. Not everyone has clinical depression, are suicidal and so on.

I'm tired of people thinking you just can just "snap out of it". I don't want to pull out hair. I happen to like my eyebrows.

:hugs:

Yeah it is insanely difficult unfortunately :nn: I'm supposed to seeing a counselor but haven't heard in ages too so I understand your frustration about the depression :sadnod:

Though you shouldn't self-diagnose, with depression it is slightly easier to self-diagnose and be right and also harder to resist self diagnosing because the symptoms are pretty obvious/clear cut :erm:

I'm very tired of that too. That's something that comes with OCD unfortunately. Got told my someone the other day 'It's all in your head, shrug it off.' yeah because it's that simple yeah :hmpf:
(edited 12 years ago)
For me when locking doors and windows, or switching off lights, I have to check it about a zillion times. I check where my keys/phone/purse are at least 3 times per hour, consciously or subconsciously. I basically have a compulsion to check things constantly, bit of a worrier. It doesn't half get me down as well, like I have to plan going out 15 mins before everyone else, to allow checking time in my room before leaving :|
Reply 386
Original post by lolawonder
For me when locking doors and windows, or switching off lights, I have to check it about a zillion times. I check where my keys/phone/purse are at least 3 times per hour, consciously or subconsciously. I basically have a compulsion to check things constantly, bit of a worrier. It doesn't half get me down as well, like I have to plan going out 15 mins before everyone else, to allow checking time in my room before leaving :|

Welcome :hello: That must be annoying, can fairly say most of us here know the feeling :tongue: :sadnod: Have you tried ways of making it easier, but it not working?

Original post by Luceria
I haven't labeled myself with anything (except maybe trich). I feel fairly certain that I can officially say that I have trich. I know what I've felt for the past six years though, and it hasn't been easy. The topic of depression is not something I take lightly. Yes, it's very easy to self-diagnose yourself with depression. That's one of the reasons I feel it can be difficult to be taken seriously. "Are you sure you're not just a little sad?" and so on.

I've never been to a psychologist. The thought has always made me nervous.When I finally gathered up the courage I was put on a 7 month waiting list. I know it's very common, but it was still annoying.

That sucks. I hope you hear from your counselor soon! :hugs:

Well I'm diagnosed for both, but was pretty sure of the latter when checking my symptoms and speaking to a couple of people who became 'worried' about me..:erm: I do think you can see a GP (maybe when you get a new one) about depression - it can get pretty hard when you're all alone with it :sadnod:

Don't blame you for being nervous at all, but think of it this way - you have to at least try again. I think that's something I've slowly realised, that you can't expect things to just improve if you won't reach out :frown:

I hope I do too, really need it even though I'm very skeptical (not the best at opening up IRL) :redface:
Reply 387
Original post by Luceria

Original post by Luceria
I sometimes feel a little happy if something good happens to me, but then it's right back down again. I'll usually feel even worse after I've felt happy. I feel I can talk about it to my closest friends. It's a little more difficult with parents and just plain scary when it comes to complete strangers. Wise words. Yes, I think I'll try again.

Good luck!

We're very similar it seems then :five:

Don't feel I can talk about it to my closest friends though, but still considering. Soo hard hiding so much of myself from everyone, you know? Sighs. Parents? Never. Strangers? Unlikely but we'll see I guess :unsure:

Thank you, hope you feel at home here enough to stay and post once in a while (once a week? :bigsmile:) and not disappear :tongue: Good luck to you too, let us know how it goes :hugs:
Reply 388
Original post by ViceVersa
We're very similar it seems then :five:

Don't feel I can talk about it to my closest friends though, but still considering. Soo hard hiding so much of myself from everyone, you know? Sighs. Parents? Never. Strangers? Unlikely but we'll see I guess :unsure:

Thank you, hope you feel at home here enough to stay and post once in a while (once a week? :bigsmile:) and not disappear :tongue: Good luck to you too, let us know how it goes :hugs:

Why don't you want to talk to your parents about it? Do you not get on with them? I would encourage to talk to your parents but I don't know about your relationship/situation with them.
Reply 389
Original post by bala123

Original post by bala123
Why don't you want to talk to your parents about it? Do you not get on with them? I would encourage to talk to your parents but I don't know about your relationship/situation with them.

Nope don't get on with them, and besides they're very judgmental and find it difficult to understand stuff like this :sad: I can survive with my parents not knowing, that I don't mind about. It's more difficult with friends though..
Welcome :hello: That must be annoying, can fairly say most of us here know the feeling :tongue: :sadnod: Have you tried ways of making it easier, but it not working?

Hi :smile: I write lots of lists, on sticky notes and on my phone, and tick off all the things I've checked. I must admit it seems to get worse whenever I get stressed, where I feel the compulsion more stronger than usual. Lately it hasn't been so bad as I'e managed to tame it by convincing myself that I've checked things and nothing bad will happen. I've worked out that that is the root of it- I'm scared things will go wrong. Either I'm a perfectionist or somewhere in my childhood I've not done something that could have prevented something bad happening. I just can't remember :P
Reply 391
Nope don't get on with them, and besides they're very judgmental and find it difficult to understand stuff like this :sad: I can survive with my parents not knowing, that I don't mind about. It's more difficult with friends though..

Aww sorry to hear that. Hopefully OCD doesn't damage your relationship with your close ones and hopefully they understand.
Reply 392
My parents and I don't know how to get through to my brother about talking about OCD. He seems very aggressive lately and doesn't want to talk about anything :frown:.
Reply 393

Hi :smile: I write lots of lists, on sticky notes and on my phone, and tick off all the things I've checked. I must admit it seems to get worse whenever I get stressed, where I feel the compulsion more stronger than usual. Lately it hasn't been so bad as I'e managed to tame it by convincing myself that I've checked things and nothing bad will happen. I've worked out that that is the root of it- I'm scared things will go wrong. Either I'm a perfectionist or somewhere in my childhood I've not done something that could have prevented something bad happening. I just can't remember :P

That seems like a good idea :smile:

I've also worked out the root of mine too, but I doubt it can be fixed/anxiety reduced anytime soon :frown: I hope you remember soon. or at least go through some kind of therapy that might help you to remember :hugs:
Reply 394
Original post by bala123
Aww sorry to hear that. Hopefully OCD doesn't damage your relationship with your close ones and hopefully they understand.

It hasn't so far, so fingers crossed :crossedf:

Original post by bala123
My parents and I don't know how to get through to my brother about talking about OCD. He seems very aggressive lately and doesn't want to talk about anything :frown:.

Is there any reason why he's been more aggressive?
Reply 395
No clue about why. He doesn't want to talk about. I guess it's just frustration with the illness or something along those lines.
Reply 396
Original post by bala123

Original post by bala123
No clue about why. He doesn't want to talk about. I guess it's just frustration with the illness or something along those lines.

Have you tried to encourage him to see a counsellor?
Reply 397
Have you tried to encourage him to see a counsellor?

Of course. As someone mentioned before, he is also still waiting to be seen by a psychiatrist (they seem to be taking weeks/months to start therapy). We tried to get help privately but it is just too expensive :frown:.
Reply 398
Original post by bala123

Original post by bala123
Of course. As someone mentioned before, he is also still waiting to be seen by a psychiatrist (they seem to be taking weeks/months to start therapy). We tried to get help privately but it is just too expensive :frown:.

Well I hope he gets seen pretty soon. Looks like he needs it. In the meantime, try to do what you can for him, but don't push him :hugs:
Reply 399
Well I hope he gets seen pretty soon. Looks like he needs it. In the meantime, try to do what you can for him, but don't push him :hugs:

Ok will do. Good luck getting offers for medicine btw. I applied and still waiting too.

Quick Reply

Latest