The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by popple7

Original post by popple7
that's alright my lovely. i dont think she meant any offence, but i know it can be a bit insulting when people make comments like that... especially when you're having a bad time with the OCD and everything.

how are you doing today? and in general? hope living at home isnt making life too unbearable. can you escape to the boyfriend's house much? hugs to you, my favourite TSR person! :biggrin: :hugs:

btw SNOWWWWWWWWW :biggrin: i was a bit fed up of all this freezing cold nonsense, but snow makes me so happy! <3 snow and monster munch. so easily amused!

Yeah she probably didn't, but yeah it was a bit offensive, but you said in in such a perfect way I never could so I had to thank you :wink:

I'm okay today, a bit up and down but trying to be okay really :smile: A dear friend decided to step down as a mod and that sucked too. Wonder who will be the nest H+R mod, would have loved to be but I haven't been around long enough/helping long enough, for enough people to nominate me haha :tongue:

Yourself?

Living at home is proving to be very difficult indeed unfortunately :frown: I'm trying to come up with a solution, like staying with the bf. We'll see how it goes I guess :smile: and awwwww that's so sweet thank you :blush:

Ahh mann now you too, we still have none here :no: and it sucks cos everyone's basically been telling me they do :nn: Hope you're having fun though :biggrin: Hopefully I will get some snow too :daydreaming:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 581
Original post by ViceVersa
Yeah she probably didn't, but yeah it was a bit offensive, but you said in in such a perfect way I never could so I had to thank you :wink:

I'm okay today, a bit up and down but trying to be okay really :smile: A dear friend decided to step down as a mod and that sucked too. Wonder who will be the nest H+R mod, would have loved to be but I haven't been around long enough/helping long enough, for enough people to nominate me haha :tongue:

Yourself?

Living at home is proving to be very difficult indeed unfortunately :frown: I'm trying to come up with a solution, like staying with the bf. We'll see how it goes I guess :smile: and awwwww that's so sweet thank you :blush:

Ahh mann now you too, we still have none here :no: and it sucks cos everyone's basically been telling me they do :nn: Hope you're having fun though :biggrin: Hopefully I will get some snow too :daydreaming:

glad you gave a proper answer, rather than just saying "im okay" or whatever. up and down days are the worst... id rather be just one or the other! i hate toing and froing between moods. better out than in though, so feel free to rant if it'll make you feel better! or watch videos of kittens on youtube for a quick pick me up :tongue: especially whilst eating monster munch. :yy:

id nominate you for being a mod! im not sure how to but i definitely would if i knew! h&r is crazy busy all the time though, i dont think i could handle it!

sorry to hear things at home are tough. if it really is unbearable, have you thought about moving out to a bedsit or something? have you spoken to your counsellor about moving out options, if you can get funding or money to move out? may sound extreme, but as scary as moving away sounds and you worry about your siblings... i think it would do you the world of good. and you need to focus on yourself right now. at least there's the boyfriend to crash with when you can :smile:
Reply 582
Original post by popple7
glad you gave a proper answer, rather than just saying "im okay" or whatever. up and down days are the worst... id rather be just one or the other! i hate toing and froing between moods. better out than in though, so feel free to rant if it'll make you feel better! or watch videos of kittens on youtube for a quick pick me up :tongue: especially whilst eating monster munch. :yy:

id nominate you for being a mod! im not sure how to but i definitely would if i knew! h&r is crazy busy all the time though, i dont think i could handle it!

sorry to hear things at home are tough. if it really is unbearable, have you thought about moving out to a bedsit or something? have you spoken to your counsellor about moving out options, if you can get funding or money to move out? may sound extreme, but as scary as moving away sounds and you worry about your siblings... i think it would do you the world of good. and you need to focus on yourself right now. at least there's the boyfriend to crash with when you can :smile:

Lol good then :smile: Yeah it's been terrible my moods, I've been feeling all sorts of different emotions all at the same time! I've generally been more down than up tough unfortunately, and that's mostly to do with being home I'm afraid :sadnod: and thanks will do :smile: I love monster munch btw :love:

Aw lol thanks, nah nominations are not running atm, and I'll definitely need more than one. It's sad Hannah's leaving though, not from just being a mod but leaving all together! It sucks :sadnod: Yeah it's tough being a H+R mod and they do a great job :smile:

Yeah they team that have been working with me atm suggest I leave too, but it's not so easy and far more complicated than that. Oh I dunno, I hope everything works out though! :yep: and I know, I need to focus a lot on myself atm so I can get completely better again, just so much that is stopping me from doing that atm unfortunately.

I'm hoping everything will be okay soon :crossedf:
Reply 583
Lol good then :smile: Yeah it's been terrible my moods, I've been feeling all sorts of different emotions all at the same time! I've generally been more down than up tough unfortunately, and that's mostly to do with being home I'm afraid :sadnod: and thanks will do :smile: I love monster munch btw :love:

Aw lol thanks, nah nominations are not running atm, and I'll definitely need more than one. It's sad Hannah's leaving though, not from just being a mod but leaving all together! It sucks :sadnod: Yeah it's tough being a H+R mod and they do a great job :smile:

Yeah they team that have been working with me atm suggest I leave too, but it's not so easy and far more complicated than that. Oh I dunno, I hope everything works out though! :yep: and I know, I need to focus a lot on myself atm so I can get completely better again, just so much that is stopping me from doing that atm unfortunately.

I'm hoping everything will be okay soon :crossedf:

aww im really sorry that things are so tough! no matter what the complications, your health and well-being are the most important thing... so if things get really really bad again, i think you have to forget everything and just move out and move on. and of course, dont bottle things up! big :hugs: to you.
Reply 584
Original post by popple7

Original post by popple7
aww im really sorry that things are so tough! no matter what the complications, your health and well-being are the most important thing... so if things get really really bad again, i think you have to forget everything and just move out and move on. and of course, dont bottle things up! big :hugs: to you.

I know :sad: I really must not let things get so bad again :erm: I will see what I can do! :wizard:

I am certainly trying not to! Thank you :hugs:

How are you?
It'll take far too long for me to explain an in depth account of my experiences with OCD, so i'll outline the most prominent one for the moment.

I have a deadline for Monday where I have to hand in a lengthy report as part of my AS IT coursework. Except, I feel hindered by my compulsions to obsess over the phraseology of the report. I fear that if I repeat certain connectives or words within a given paragraph, I will somehow fail my A levels, thus, failing at my ambitions for university, thus will forever be unemployed, which will almost certainly drive me to commit suicide.

I realise this is a ridiculous belief as repeating, for instance, 'although', will not result in ultimate failure. However, I have had these compulsions ever since I was in year 8 and, despite, receiving some CBT for it, have never been able to quite suppress it.

The fact that the report is part of my IT coursework makes it a prerequisite that it must be word processed, which further heightens the compulsion to find an alternative word. From what i've observed, I subconsciously accommodate my anxieties by constantly pressing Ctrl+f or Ctrl+g to check whether I have repeated a certain word as well as keeping a mental count of the number of times I have used a word. I also have an online and offline thesaurus open at all times alongside a written thesaurus nearby in case I cannot think of a replacement.

With all things considered, it can take hours to just finish a simple paragraph. I don't know how to go about meeting this deadline because the compulsions are dictating my life. Other areas of my OCD i.e. personal care have also seen a drastic deterioration, but the one I described above is the most disruptive.

I feel hopeless and apathetic with this assignment. Any advice on how I can quell my compulsions?

EDIT: Anyone? I'm feeling pretty low right now, I wish I never had OCD. :sad:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by suicidaloverbusiness
It'll take far too long for me to explain an in depth account of my experiences with OCD, so i'll outline the most prominent one for the moment.

I have a deadline for Monday where I have to hand in a lengthy report as part of my AS IT coursework. Except, I feel hindered by my compulsions to obsess over the phraseology of the report. I fear that if I repeat certain connectives or words within a given paragraph, I will somehow fail my A levels, thus, failing at my ambitions for university, thus will forever be unemployed, which will almost certainly drive me to commit suicide.

I realise this is a ridiculous belief as repeating, for instance, 'although', will not result in ultimate failure. However, I have had these compulsions ever since I was in year 8 and, despite, receiving some CBT for it, have never been able to quite suppress it.

The fact that the report is part of my IT coursework makes it a prerequisite that it must be word processed, which further heightens the compulsion to find an alternative word. From what i've observed, I subconsciously accommodate my anxieties by constantly pressing Ctrl+f or Ctrl+g to check whether I have repeated a certain word as well as keeping a mental count of the number of times I have used a word. I also have an online and offline thesaurus open at all times alongside a written thesaurus nearby in case I cannot think of a replacement.

With all things considered, it can take hours to just finish a simple paragraph. I don't know how to go about meeting this deadline because the compulsions are dictating my life. Other areas of my OCD i.e. personal care have also seen a drastic deterioration, but the one I described above is the most disruptive.

I feel hopeless and apathetic with this assignment. Any advice on how I can quell my compulsions?

EDIT: Anyone? I'm feeling pretty low right now, I wish I never had OCD. :sad:

OCD is a recognised condition. Report it to your school and go to the doctor for proof if your school question it. You should hopefully get an extension.

I also have OCD and I can completely understand where you're coming from. It hinders education in several ways. I went through a phase where I had to read every word twice etc and it's not a nice place to be. It simply adds more stress and pressure on to an already stressful exercise (doing coursework / exams etc).

As to any advice as to how to control your compulsions. If someone had an answer to that they'd be millionaires. Unfortunately there's no sure remedy for OCD. Some people are able to bring it under control after going through certain therapies.

Good Luck.
Original post by The Stig
OCD is a recognised condition. Report it to your school and go to the doctor for proof if your school question it. You should hopefully get an extension.

I also have OCD and I can completely understand where you're coming from. It hinders education in several ways. I went through a phase where I had to read every word twice etc and it's not a nice place to be. It simply adds more stress and pressure on to an already stressful exercise (doing coursework / exams etc).

As to any advice as to how to control your compulsions. If someone had an answer to that they'd be millionaires. Unfortunately there's no sure remedy for OCD. Some people are able to bring it under control after going through certain therapies.

Good Luck.

Thanks for replying. I'm glad you understand and i'm sorry to hear that you suffer the same disorder. I had a rather ignorant person post on the other thread. Like I said, my school are aware, but won't give any extensions. I'd just like some advice as to how I can calm the compulsions, I know there is no remedy. Thanks again. :smile:
Reply 588

Thanks for replying. I'm glad you understand and i'm sorry to hear that you suffer the same disorder. I had a rather ignorant person post on the other thread. Like I said, my school are aware, but won't give any extensions. I'd just like some advice as to how I can calm the compulsions, I know there is no remedy. Thanks again. :smile:

I think if you get some kind of note from your doctor, will help change the school's mind :yep:
I think if you get some kind of note from your doctor, will help change the school's mind :yep:

Perhaps, in the long run, but whenever I try to educate my school, I fear it comes across as patronising and I don't want to disappoint my teacher further as I failed to meet the first deadline. :sad:

EDIT: Thanks for the advice. By the way, this thread was a great idea. :biggrin:

EDIT 2: Oh and do you have any advice on how I can try to calm the compulsions. What do you usually do to relieve anxiety?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 590

Perhaps, in the long run, but whenever I try to educate my school, I fear it comes across as patronising and I don't want to disappoint my teacher further as I failed to meet the first deadline. :sad:

EDIT: Thanks for the advice. By the way, this thread was a great idea. :biggrin:

I know what you mean, but hun if it's really crippling you that much eventually you just have to say/do something :yep:

I do understand though. Let us know how it works out, and I hope it does :hugs:

You're welcome, I hardly did much anyway :tongue: Aww thanks :biggrin: Do stick around :yy:
I know what you mean, but hun if it's really crippling you that much eventually you just have to say/do something :yep:

I do understand though. Let us know how it works out, and I hope it does :hugs:

You're welcome, I hardly did much anyway :tongue: Aww thanks :biggrin: Do stick around :yy:

Thanks, I guess i'm cautious of what I say around people given that I tend to unintentionally offend them. :colondollar: (I have Aspergers Syndrome)

Thanks again and you did help because it's always nice to talk to someone that can empathise.

Oh and do you have any advice on how I can try to calm the compulsions. What do you usually do to relieve anxiety?
Reply 592

Thanks, I guess i'm cautious of what I say around people given that I tend to unintentionally offend them. :colondollar: (I have Aspergers Syndrome)

Thanks again and you did help because it's always nice to talk to someone that can empathise.

Oh and do you have any advice on how I can try to calm the compulsions. What do you usually do to relieve anxiety?

Then you don't have to say anything, just get the doctors note and that'll be enough :redface:

You're welcome :h:

I don't have too many ideas I'm afraid. You can try meditation and yoga? Swimming (if you can), listening to music..? Just to calm you a bit more. You could try listening to nice instrumentals when doing your c.work.

Like The Stig said, there's only so much one can do, but do your best to try as many things as you can :hugs:
Then you don't have to say anything, just get the doctors note and that'll be enough :redface:

You're welcome :h:

I don't have too many ideas I'm afraid. You can try meditation and yoga? Swimming (if you can), listening to music..? Just to calm you a bit more. You could try listening to nice instrumentals when doing your c.work.

Like The Stig said, there's only so much one can do, but do your best to try as many things as you can :hugs:

Okey doke :biggrin: I shall try to contact my psychiatrist on Monday - my GP is beyond hopeless. In the 17 years I have been under his care I have only seen him twice - the first because I had an asthma attack and the second because A & E contacted him following a suicide attempt. :rolleyes:

I might try instrumental music as I already do yoga on a frequent basis after my consultant recommended it. Thanks again :h: I hope you're well.
Reply 594

Okey doke :biggrin: I shall try to contact my psychiatrist on Monday - my GP is beyond hopeless. In the 17 years I have been under his care I have only seen him twice - the first because I had an asthma attack and the second because A & E contacted him following a suicide attempt. :rolleyes:

I might try instrumental music as I already do yoga on a frequent basis after my consultant recommended it. Thanks again :h: I hope you're well.

Great to hear hun!!! :biggrin: Ha suicide attempts, something I'm familiar with :rolleyes:

Good, instrumentals can help with a bunch of stuff sometimes :yep:

You're welcome, and I'm hanging in there :crossedf:
Great to hear hun!!! :biggrin: Ha suicide attempts, something I'm familiar with :rolleyes:

Good, instrumentals can help with a bunch of stuff sometimes :yep:

You're welcome, and I'm hanging in there :crossedf:

Aren't we all. :rolleyes: Good to hear you're doing well, I remember reading your experience with OCD. :smile:
Reply 596

Aren't we all. :rolleyes: Good to hear you're doing well, I remember reading your experience with OCD. :smile:

:teehee:

Thank you :smile: what on the first page?
I think I may have an OCD. Recently I passed my driving test and I've been using my parents car which is great but after I park it, lock it and go to where ever, I get really paranoid that I've forgotten to lock it. This has happened on three occasions now and I get so worried that I leave where I am and walk (usually quite a distance like today I walked for 30mins) back to my car to check it's locked. It's been locked every time, I'm just used to cycling and locking my bike to something, I'm not used to just leaving a car in a street.
:teehee:

Thank you :smile: what on the first page?

Hehe, yep. :colondollar:
Reply 599

Hehe, yep. :colondollar:

Cool. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest