The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kayleigh.jean
:rofl:
very true...except my baby sister :erm:

Depends how old she is. It's fine if she's 2 but if she's 15 then that is, at the very least, a little strange.
Original post by TheMagicRat
What did people make of Jon Richardson's show? I thought it was really good and heartbreaking.

Thankfully, I'd say I'm like Jon in the sense that I do certain things and I'm certainly a perfectionist.

I just finished watching it. I thought it was upsetting at times, but it also showed that there is usually a way out of it, and I found it really interesting.
I'm a bit of a perfectionist also, but the other things which I 'have to do' counteract the progress towards the goal of perfection, ha.
Reply 862
Original post by ViceVersa
That's absolutely amazing and fantastic! Big well done, so proud right now! :biggrin:

Thank you, how are you doing? My other OCD habbits remain but they are low now. :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 863
The Jon Richardson thing was good, I thought it was really informative, and respect to him, he was great.
After seeing the 'exposure' technique thing, I've sort of being trying it on myself, but it's not really working. I guess it takes time.
As for the rubbing the toilet seat, I'm not obsessive about hygeine, but I would not have been happy doing that. It really IS unhygeinic, so I imagine it would have been very stressful for someone with severe hygeine OCD.
helloo new here

so idk if i have it but something is happening... usually at night n during church (maybe because im relaxed or something?)

its things like having all the chairs straight.. it is *so* annoying if a chair is out of place at church. id love to move it but it makes a noise :/

ive started doing the light switch thing.. if i dont switch the switch at both the corners for both first finger and middle finger i get very shakey.. thats only just started and it gets abit annoying

the one ive had for a while though is i can only sleep when i am facing to the left. if i turn over n face the right i will not dream at all, no daydreams no nothing. also if my arms are outside of the duvet i *will* get a nightmare. i had the arms out of the duvet once when i was sleeping next to the boyfriend and he said i was scary and shaking n breathing weirdly etc...

theres also cleanliness... i wont let him touch me if i havent had a shower/bath... like not even hand holding. if i so much as feel dirty, i jst cant. so in the summer weather, blistering heat, if my friends try and hug me hello its a no go n ill snap at them etc.. n i know they know i dont mean it, but then i feel aweful :/

i used to deal with it with tic-tacs (idk!) and having them... they made my breath minty and it was nice :smile: but its not working anymore... so whenever im at church i do the whole prayer thing (but they obviously think that the ocd or whatnot is to do with "the past that i cannot let go of")

so... yeh... hai...
Original post by TheMagicRat
Depends how old she is. It's fine if she's 2 but if she's 15 then that is, at the very least, a little strange.

haha she's 1, so curious about everything. Training her to not touch the toilet seat every time she goes in the bathroom :lol:
I too watched the Jon Richardson programme and was very impressed by it! Pleasantly surprised by how OCD was portrayed, have to admit I had low expectations when I heard the season was called '4 goes mad'. I was actually contacted to see if I would be involved with the show but declined partly because you never know how mental health issues are going to be portrayed, but with hindsight I would have been absolutely fine.

One of my previous therapies included my therapist licking her hands after putting them inside the toilet bowl :eek: and while I know it is shocking to see for the first time that was actually my most effective bout of therapy so far. Not going to say 'don't knock it til you try it' but I would NEVER be able to do it myself, but knowing your therapist has done it and suffered no ill effects does help question some of your contamination fears.
Reply 867
Original post by Alexyy
Thank you, how are you doing? My other OCD habbits remain but they are low now. :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Eek, somehow missed this quote! :colondollar:

I'm doing good. Lots of OCD habbits seem to be much better (thank the lord!) but the washing hands, especially after touching stuff is really becoming worse. It's especially worse in the kitchen. Just so hard to resist! :erm: I'm super duper happy for you! :biggrin:
Reply 868
Ok I still do it but very rarely now... but when I was little it was all the time and I want to know can OCD like suddenly go away and is this OCD...

Ok a good example to use could be a supermarket I couldn't cope with them because of the entrance they have the enter exit doors... and I couldn't go through a door into a building then out of another I would have to go out of the door I entered in this is the same for in schools and under sign posts or under anything really, this also includes objects that involve me.... like I used to play footie in the park and if I kicked the ball through something I would have to put it back the other way even if I only skimmed it with my body, It would really bother me if I didn't do it. same with objects being in a certain place like I cleaned up this small shelf case then I found my self memorising the order the dvd/games videos were.... then I got really distressed and had to put them back :/ this is just a quick thing but I haven't been diagnosed with OCD

and what I got the message from the media is that this is kinda like OCD?

is it? and as I've managed to ignore the bad thoughts now it means I'm almost over it like it's gone away if I did have it, but is that possible? so it was me being weird not having OCD?
*customer places hanger on the LEFT.*
me: sorry, would you mind it if you could put hangers on my right? i have a little bit of OCD so i have to have things a certain way
customer: oh ok im so sorry *weird facial expression*

its ok, customer, i am not going to hit you or suddenly crawl up into a ball n shake because of this hanger. its just i would rather be able to concentrate on scanning these items correctly, instead of moving those hangers....
Reply 870
Original post by HDBrowne
Ok I still do it but very rarely now... but when I was little it was all the time and I want to know can OCD like suddenly go away and is this OCD...

Ok a good example to use could be a supermarket I couldn't cope with them because of the entrance they have the enter exit doors... and I couldn't go through a door into a building then out of another I would have to go out of the door I entered in this is the same for in schools and under sign posts or under anything really, this also includes objects that involve me.... like I used to play footie in the park and if I kicked the ball through something I would have to put it back the other way even if I only skimmed it with my body, It would really bother me if I didn't do it. same with objects being in a certain place like I cleaned up this small shelf case then I found my self memorising the order the dvd/games videos were.... then I got really distressed and had to put them back :/ this is just a quick thing but I haven't been diagnosed with OCD

is it? and as I've managed to ignore the bad thoughts now it means I'm almost over it like it's gone away if I did have it, but is that possible? so it was me being weird not having OCD?

Original post by megfashion
*customer places hanger on the LEFT.*
me: sorry, would you mind it if you could put hangers on my right? i have a little bit of OCD so i have to have things a certain way
customer: oh ok im so sorry *weird facial expression*

its ok, customer, i am not going to hit you or suddenly crawl up into a ball n shake because of this hanger. its just i would rather be able to concentrate on scanning these items correctly, instead of moving those hangers....

Welcome to the thread guys :h: Will try and give a more detailed post soon and try and reply to you in detail. :smile:
Ocd gets worse with stress, definately. I am going to be at work, on tills, on a very busy day, for 5 hours.

Customers - return items on my left, clothes (in the basket please) in the middle, unwanted hangers on my right.
Thankyou :smile:

The boyfriend is coming home today after a car crash aswell, so im preparing his house (he is fine dont worry but his mum is in a back brace). So i think ill do abit of tidying whilst im up there :tongue: with love from his perfectionist girlfriend :3

I still remember jon richardson saying in that tv episode - 'i never thought i had ocd, it was just that i was right and everyone else was doing it wrong' :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 872
I too watched the programme and thought it was well done. :smile:

Original post by HDBrowne

IMO that is like OCD :sadnod: it is possible for you to recover from some OCD habits (like I have for example) and acquire new habits (happened to me. I used to be unable to put any part of my skin on tables so had to write with my arms up and not touching the tables. But I can now do this).

Ocd gets worse with stress, definately. I am going to be at work, on tills, on a very busy day, for 5 hours.

Customers - return items on my left, clothes (in the basket please) in the middle, unwanted hangers on my right.
Thankyou :smile:

The boyfriend is coming home today after a car crash aswell, so im preparing his house (he is fine dont worry but his mum is in a back brace). So i think ill do abit of tidying whilst im up there :tongue: with love from his perfectionist girlfriend :3

I still remember jon richardson saying in that tv episode - 'i never thought i had ocd, it was just that i was right and everyone else was doing it wrong' :biggrin:

Hey :wavey: Hope you stay with us. :smile:

I 100% agree about OCD getting worse with stress *shudders* which is annoying because arounds exams or whatever, I it really makes life more difficult. :mad:

I hope your boyfriend is okay. Sorry to hear her was in a car crash :frown:

I remember that too :five:
Hey I'm new to this site, I've been looking into seeking help for my OCD, though I'm not sure whether seeking medical help would change my behaviour.

Before leaving my house I have to check all my plugs are turned off and ensure my front door is locked. This routine can take anything from 10-15 minutes. I know I have a problem, but I know that the day I seek help will be the day I have actually forgotten to lock the door!

More embarrassingly, I only exhibit a mild form of OCD in front of people I'm familiar with (friends & family), I don't know why this is? I feel as though I cannot seek help in case i'm over reacting.

Can anyone give me any advice?
Original post by ViceVersa
I too watched the programme and thought it was well done. :smile:

IMO that is like OCD :sadnod: it is possible for you to recover from some OCD habits (like I have for example) and acquire new habits (happened to me. I used to be unable to put any part of my skin on tables so had to write with my arms up and not touching the tables. But I can now do this).

Hey :wavey: Hope you stay with us. :smile:

I 100% agree about OCD getting worse with stress *shudders* which is annoying because arounds exams or whatever, I it really makes life more difficult. :mad:

I hope your boyfriend is okay. Sorry to hear her was in a car crash :frown:

I remember that too :five:

The boyfriend is a-ok. His mum is at a hospital now. She was going to be home but she requested the hospital. I hope to see her soon :frown:

Yes. God its just so annoying. Although once you 'complete' a task, like taking all clothes out of the draw n putting them back in, its quite satisfying. I did an OCD looking table for a personal statement... Im too proud of it to show anyone :P

Yes. Thats the best quote. If customers start asking bout the condition i always tell them that :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9001
Reply 875
The boyfriend is a-ok. His mum is at a hospital now. She was going to be home but she requested the hospital. I hope to see her soon :frown:

Yes. God its just so annoying. Although once you 'complete' a task, like taking all clothes out of the draw n putting them back in, its quite satisfying. I did an OCD looking table for a personal statement... Im too proud of it to show anyone :P

Yes. Thats the best quote. If customers start asking bout the condition i always tell them that :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9001

Good to know :yy:

I know what you mean about the satisfaction. I also oddly get relief too.

Cool :h:
I don't think I have OCD, but since such a young age I check doors a lot to check they are locked, if I hear a slight noise I have to check them again. Also in my room in my room, there is this chair and whenever it is moved slightly it aggitates me so much. I often do thinks like when I click my mouse button, I often do it 6 times. I always have thoughts that things are going to happen to myself or my family. Plug sockets left on are also really annoying and I have to always turn them off. What do you guys think?
It also seems weird but often when tightening bottle tops on bottles of like lemonade, I have to keep tightening it. After that, I check in the fridge a couple more times to check it hasnt leaked as I always think it has. Also when I check I have things, I check numerous times even though I know it is there just to reassure myself that I still have it with me. When I do things like repetitions, it's always usually with 6 or multiples of 6. I'm always also paranoid - i sometimes go round the house checking rooms just to see that no one is in there.
I'm going to the doctor on Thursday about my compulsions...which makes me far more nervous than collecting my AS results on the same day. It's like admitting that it's a problem, and I don't know what I'm going to say.
:frown:
Reply 879
Original post by Anonymous
I don't think I have OCD, but since such a young age I check doors a lot to check they are locked, if I hear a slight noise I have to check them again. Also in my room in my room, there is this chair and whenever it is moved slightly it aggitates me so much. I often do thinks like when I click my mouse button, I often do it 6 times. I always have thoughts that things are going to happen to myself or my family. Plug sockets left on are also really annoying and I have to always turn them off. What do you guys think?

Original post by Anonymous
It also seems weird but often when tightening bottle tops on bottles of like lemonade, I have to keep tightening it. After that, I check in the fridge a couple more times to check it hasnt leaked as I always think it has. Also when I check I have things, I check numerous times even though I know it is there just to reassure myself that I still have it with me. When I do things like repetitions, it's always usually with 6 or multiples of 6. I'm always also paranoid - i sometimes go round the house checking rooms just to see that no one is in there.

How do you usually feel when you don't do these things?

Quick Reply

Latest