The Student Room Group

The Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Support and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Contrad!ction.

I draw him loads of random pictures... and I've also learnt that he's a fan of maths jokes. Running out of them now... :frown:

I hate getting people involved. So instead I bottle it up and feel crap instead.

Hahaha, guess this is all part of why maths is fun eh? :biggrin: You'll think of more jokes soon I hope :mmm:

ahh :hugs:
Haha we shall be awkward together :tongue:

It's because I need symmetry. I hate it when things aren't symmetrical.

Symmetry is so important. Symmetry means things are even.
Reply 82
Original post by Little Thorn
Ooh, this thread fits me perfectly.

I've had an OCD since I was about 7 where I would pick at my skin. When I was young I would pick the skin off my lips to the point where they would bleed. I still do this and I notice that my peak time of doing this is once I've just gotten into bed to sleep. I get urges when I'm in public but I have to try and fight it off since I realise it's a weird behaviour..sometimes I'll just pick without realising.

The worst part of my OCD is that I pick at my legs, I have two areas on the lower part of my right and left leg where I pick at everyday especially in the evenings when I'm all alone. I'll sit there looking for things to pick at, sometimes time will run away on me. I'll have blood on my fingers but it won't stop me. At one point I had have surgery on one of my legs because the skin there was completely ruined but I couldn't own up to having done it myself. I have to hide them all the time but no matter how hard I try I can't stop :frown:

It's been years and I honestly don't see anything changing anytime soon.

Heh, that sounds pretty much exactly like me, except I think I was 8 years old.

Never yet found anything that works for stopping yet either.. really hate the times when there's no reason to, there's just the compulsion.
Original post by ViceVersa
Hahaha, guess this is all part of why maths is fun eh? :biggrin: You'll think of more jokes soon I hope :mmm:

ahh :hugs:

Unless I start on the maths innuendos, I won't be able to :tongue:

:hugs:
Original post by Rainfaery

And even is perfect. Everything's got to be perfect.
Reply 85

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by ilovefashion90
My mum has this. It was quite hard to live with when I was younger. Really small things turned into massive arguments and there were times where she would leave us and go to my grandma's house for a couple of days until we would all go as a family to bring her back. Its not as bad now and we've learnt how to deal with it. I hoover my room 3 times a day for example. We never shut the doors or it drives her crazy. We have sheets covering all the sofas etc. We make sure we don't move things out of place. My mum has other issues and the OCD on top of that. I'm used to it now and unless someone visits and comments about our house, I forget all about it. It's just routine. There are still about 10 small arguments a day (on average), triggered by her OCD. Like I say they're usually small arguments with her shouting and us ignoring.

Do you think when you were little you kinda understood about OCD but it still annoyed you or do you think you didn't understand and that's a large part of the annoyance?

That must have been pretty hard for you :console:
Reply 87

And even is perfect. Everything's got to be perfect.

You people understand me.
Reply 88
Unless I start on the maths innuendos, I won't be able to :tongue:

:hugs:

Hopefully you'll start soon then :smile:
Reply 89
Hi, I don't have OCD but I just wanted to ask you all a question. And I apologise in advance if anyone thinks that I am being extremely rude or anything. Im a psychology student and in my lecture a few weeks ago, my lecturer said that the worst thing about OCD (compared to other disorders) was the fact that you realise that flicking the light switch x amount of times or having the volume at a certain multiple wouldn't impact you in any way BUT still you have to do it, I mean that you realise that you shouldn't do them but you're powerless to stop doing them (I hope this makes sense :s-smilie:). Again extremely sorry, if I've offended anyone.
Hopefully you'll start soon then :smile:

Step 1: get him to use the phrase 'maths debating' in a sentence, preferably with 'furiously' attached to the end.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: PROFIT!

You people understand me.

It's good for me to finally find people who understand me :hugs:
Original post by laut_biru
Heh, that sounds pretty much exactly like me, except I think I was 8 years old.

Never yet found anything that works for stopping yet either.. really hate the times when there's no reason to, there's just the compulsion.

Yeah me too :frown:
Hope we figure out how to stop one day.
Reply 92

Do you think you ever be brave enough to tell someone someday? :hugs:
Step 1: get him to use the phrase 'maths debating' in a sentence, preferably with 'furiously' attached to the end.
Step 2: ???
Step 3: PROFIT!

It's good for me to finally find people who understand me :hugs:

Haha hopefully you'll figure out step two :tongue:

me too I can't tell you how much :hugs:
Reply 93
Original post by julifak
Hi, I don't have OCD but I just wanted to ask you all a question. And I apologise in advance if anyone thinks that I am being extremely rude or anything. Im a psychology student and in my lecture a few weeks ago, my lecturer said that the worst thing about OCD (compared to other disorders) was the fact that you realise that flicking the light switch x amount of times or having the volume at a certain multiple wouldn't impact you in any way BUT still you have to do it, I mean that you realise that you shouldn't do them but you're powerless to stop doing them (I hope this makes sense :s-smilie:). Again extremely sorry, if I've offended anyone.

Can't speak for everyone but you have't offended me, and indeed that is one of the worst things for me. Something not impacting in any way but still having to do it, and realising I shouldn't but being powerless to stop.
What is the difference between having OCD, and say, a pet hate? Sometimes things annoy me, and I do similar things as above, but often because I'm procrastinating as opposed to actually obsessively compulsive.
Do you think when you were little you kinda understood about OCD but it still annoyed you or do you think you didn't understand and that's a large part of the annoyance?

That must have been pretty hard for you :console:

When I was younger I didn't know anything about it. Then when I got older we would joke about her having OCD until we finally made an appointment about it. We thought she was bi-polar (I still do think this), but she was only diagnosed with OCD. Tbh it still annoys me and I know it must be hard for her but it drives me mad too. I'd often wonder what I'd done to end up with such a "crazy" mum. I wasn't even going to post on here about it because you all seem like such nice people who haven't let this disorder affect how you treat people. I try hard to sympathise with her and understand that it's not her fault. I don't think its the OCD which has made her into a horrible person but I do think her having it makes things even worse.
Reply 96

Yeah, it'd be cool.

If anyone finds anything on coping with compulsions, please definitely share, we could probably all do with that.
Reply 97
Can't speak for everyone but you have't offended me, and indeed that is one of the worst things for me. Something not impacting in any way but still having to do it, and realising I shouldn't but being powerless to stop.

Oh good, I was certain I'd offend someone. Wooow that pretty tough but it seems like you're coping with it. This thread as actually helped me btw, I had a friend in college who had OCD and there was one time when I actually had to walk away from her 'cause I couldn't understand why she was being so irrational (when she got dropped off, she fell on the ground and it had been raining so she thought she had stains on her but she didn't and all day long she kept asking if she did, and even cried at some point because she had germs on her, she couldn't even wear her jacket 'cause she had it on when she fell over). Thinking about it now, I guess I was a bit harsh. Wow it's amazing what a bit of insight can do :smile:
Do you think you ever be brave enough to tell someone someday? :hugs:

I hope so. I'm not very good at talking about things, well at least not face to face. I see it as a bit of a gross topic to have someone listen to :sigh:
Thanks for setting this thread up, VV, I don't have OCD but my sister does and I'm too quick to get angry at her, reading this shows me what it must be like for her.

Quick Reply

Latest