The Student Room Group

URGENTLY Help need! IE Business School: Master in Advanced Finance

Hello everyone,

I need very urgently some critical statements and oppinions regardings IE's Master in Advanced Finance programme from you.

I handed in my application for the IE Master in Finance two days ago. This evening they called me they would consider me eligible for the Master in Advanced Finance programme which starts in January and not in September. Thus, I either have to wait additional three months if I start in January 2013 OR(!!) I may start NOW in January 2012.

This causing some trouble because I do not have only obligations regarding Job & Family (which might be solved of course!) BUT all my other applications (LSE, Warwick, HEC Paris) are still pending.

Thus, I am asking myself what can I do now? Hit the offer or not? I definitely need some information whether IE Business School is a 1st Tier Target School for IB. If it is not, I would probably make a bad decision by not waiting for LSE & Warwick.

In Summary, I am confronted with the following situation:

Variant 1: Accept the 2012 Intake offer
[+] I will finish my whole studies by December 2012, needing only 4.3 years for 3.5 Year Bachelor + 1 Year Master in Advanced Finance
[+] I have currently the additional chance on a 50% Scholarship (Named "The Future Finance Talent"). Since application is closed for 2012 intake for weeks know, IE told me I have a great chance to receive that scholarship.
[+] Excellent chance to get fluent in Spanish
[-] I will have to leave Germany basically from today to tomorrow and will start two weeks lake within the programme
[-] I would need to cancel a safe(!!) M&A Internship at Rothschild Frankfurt or try to postpone it to January 2013
[-] In case LSE makes me an offer, I cannot make any use of it since I will be already studying at IE

Variant 2: Accept the 2013 Intake offer
[+] I can do my M&A internship
[+] I have enough time planning my financial situation
[+] I could even try to get a second internship at a Bulge Bracket IB before starting at IE
[+] I can wait on my pending applications
[-] I will need another year to finally finish my studies
[-] The IE scholarship won't be eligible for 2013, I have to apply again regularly not knowing how my chances will be
[-] One year less full-time salary
[-] The time I studied appears somewhat longer on my CV

As you can easily see, this is a really daunting situation to me because do not know what I should do now - especially since IE expects my answer by friday since the application process is finally finished by now.

I would really appreciate any statement based on your experiences and ideas. Especially I am strongly interested how strong IE's reputation is in contrast to LSE and Warwick.

Thanks to everyone trying to help be!

Best

TheConvexity
Reply 1
IE is an excellent school. The rest is really your call.
Reply 2
Have you got previous IB / finance relevant work exp?

If Rothshild M&A is your first intern, id rather go for the 2013 intake / wait for LSE and others.

If it is not and u have something finance related, go for IE and start applying for full time later this year.
Reply 3
Hi there,

based on a special German dual Bachelor programme and a bank clerk apprenticeship I have a total of 6 years experience, 1.5 years of it in IB. Thus, IE asked me to join the Advanced Finance programme and not the regular Finance programme.

Thank you very much for your answers!
Reply 4
Hi,

I'm pretty much in the same situation. Received admission to the master in advanced finance abut still waiting answers for some other school. What did you do finally? How did you find the course at IE if you went there?

Regards.
Original post by carbonton
Hi,

I'm pretty much in the same situation. Received admission to the master in advanced finance abut still waiting answers for some other school. What did you do finally? How did you find the course at IE if you went there?

Regards.

Hi, I am currently doing a Master in Finance at IE Business School and my advice is don't go! One of my biggest regrets - should have went to Imperial instead.

The programme management is well, as Spanish as it gets, and by that I mean incompetent, lazy and not responsive at all. The students are a mixed bag.

Most importantly though, do not expect a GPA higher than a 3.3 - it is nearly impossible. Since everyone is graded on a Gauss Curve, only 2 or 3 out of my class of 70 currently have GPAs above 3.4/3.5 (equivalent to a 2.1 classification in the UK). This makes it nearly impossible to find a job.

Good luck and I hope you get into a better programme. Avoid IE at all costs!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending