The Student Room Group

Very very URGENT: Is taking both Business sl and Economics hl IB okay

Hi guys, i am a Chinese student who have been studying in Singapore for 4 years, and I just started my IB for barely a month. Currently I have 3 HLs and 3 SLs:
HL - Math AA, physics, economics
SL - English lanlit, Geman B, business

I have heard that some top uni like G5 do not accept IB students taking both economics and business, but i am not sure about it. If i intend to go to Cambridge economics, LSE finance, or Imperial economics, finance, and data science, is this package overall okay? I need to make the decision by 18th September UK time 00:00 so it's a quite urgent situation, can anyone please help me?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
The Econ / Business overlap is usually only a problem with both subjects at HL - and it seems to be only LSE that is bothered by this.
Hope you made the right choices - if you need any other help with IB, Uni choices etc, just post here.
Original post by McGinger
The Econ / Business overlap is usually only a problem with both subjects at HL - and it seems to be only LSE that is bothered by this.
Hope you made the right choices - if you need any other help with IB, Uni choices etc, just post here.

I took econ, English, and business HL but am applying to US universities which I've heard are more lenient. Would it be worth dropping business to SL and taking HL Math AA? I want to study econ at university but I got a 7 (A) in GCSE maths hence I'm not sure if I should risk it.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger

kkk thank you, I did continued with this choice and I think it's not that bad since physics is quite a burdening subject, which overall the package has a good balance
Reply 4
Original post by jfbhayvhusrj
I took econ, English, and business HL but am applying to US universities which I've heard are more lenient. Would it be worth dropping business to SL and taking HL Math AA? I want to study econ at university but I got a 7 (A) in GCSE maths hence I'm not sure if I should risk it.

Hmmm I'm not sure about US unis but I do think that math AA HL is s compulsory for most of the top Unis despite they didn't state it in their requirement, eg the UK requires TMUA test which is more advanced than AAHL content. For me I got both 9 for my Cambridge igcse extended math and add math plus I'm quite a math person, hence I chose AAHL, but I think no matter what you need to choose what works better for you? Imean for now I would say after three months of AAHL I feel like it's still more or less igcse stuff, so I think if you want to switch now there is still chance, but do have a think about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending