The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
just thought i'd chip in, since i love hull to bits...
there's a fantastic music venue in the form of the adelphi (http://www.theadelphi.com), has lots of neat little bands and has the best atmosphere bar none, it's an amazing little place. there's a few other music venues too, but i haven't had the chance to go in them much since i'm mostly in birmingham nowadays. hullpeople are generally friendly, just stay away from chavs and they generally won't bother you - like any other city, really...
cinemas - ugc is the best one, though it's a bit inaccessible (it's out of town, there is quite a good bus service to it now though & you can do yr shopping while you're there!), odeon is like any other odeon, i.e. a bit crappy but bearable, after all it's the film you're there to watch.

clubbing - spiders, insanely cheap cocktails, need i say anymore? :biggrin:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 21
haha... i missed this thread n post a new thread about hull univeristy...stupid me... anyway, i m an international student. got an offer for Law with Politics ABB. i went to the law open day n absolutely love the uni.. its the perfect size, not too big like nottingham. convinient accomodation, 2 minutes walk from law department to the student houses. very friendly international officers(important for me) n active malaysian(i m) society. a very cool student union wif posh building. good career advisors(if it is what the lady has said) n etc... all these ll b realised only if i stay in the uk for uni or else i ll go back 2 my home country......
Reply 22
I've got a conditional offer to do Internet Computing at the Scarborough campus. requirements: 240 ucas points.
Reply 23
Cottingham is a wel cheap place and the hull campus is sweet , with many bars cheap drinks and the students/lecs are quality people..Its middle sized got a cool atmosphere and isnt too demanding on grades ..open day was the decider for me
GLAD SUM 1s started a hull forum ive applied their for Marketing i think ill put it as my insurance
Reply 25
hey! this is a question 4 all the funky monkeys that go 2 hull uni:
roughly how many clubs would you say there were in town? coming from london - the only thing that im slightly ahh about is the nightlife when choosing what uni 2 go 2! i wanna party, dance and have fun etc (as does nearly every student!) - obv hull has that - but im just curious as to how much of that i can find up there?
oh and - also wondering on the cultural mix within hull?
thanks!
x
Reply 26
hull has (obviously) waaaaaaaaaaay fewer clubs than london, but there's enough to be going on with, including one at the SU which is reputedly one of the best in the country. I can't give any specifics, since it's ages and ages since I really investigated the clubs in Hull.

Cultural mix - ten years ago, when i was growing up in Hull, it was pretty much 100% white british. This has been slowly changing, and today you'll see black or asian people every time you venture out. Coming from london though, it might be something of a culture shock! Some of the locals aren't the most tolerant of people, their first experience of people of a different culture being when they had a load of kosovan asylum seekers dumped onto their impoverished housing estates - they're understandably upset and naturally have a fear of the unknown, much like other areas of the UK a few decades ago. I don't think this manifests itself as violence regularly though, at least not outside of the housing estates I mentioned.
see signature.. :smile:

i really liked hull uni when i went to an open day seemed really friendly, good facilities, accommodation could of done with a bit of a facelift but overall not bad.

which accommodation are people looking at for sept 2006? i havent a clue yet.
ive got an unconditional offer for english and drama, but everyone ive mentioned hull to says its awful! is putting me off a bit but its meant to be a good uni. im gonna have to visit but hmm...
Reply 29
hull 4 drama is supposed to be tres good! - as long as ur departments are good, ul hav a blast!
Reply 30
is anyone going to the open day for hull @ scarborough on the 25th?
Hull is an OK palce. There is pleanty of townies but isnt there everywhere? Some club will be only townies, some there will be none, depends where you go. Waterfront and most deffinetly Spiders are clubs where you will not find chav. Spiders is a great place with really cheap drinks and some cool, funky music. I have never been out on a student night but hoepfully will do soon so I will update then!
Reply 32
iv got a conditional offer for primary teaching @ the scarborough campus not sure if im goin yet as even though i loved the campus iv got a better offer thats lower for a slightly better course!
Reply 33
One of you Hullites should post on AAM to have a forum started. Direct them ot this thread too.
Reply 34
Hiya, i got a conditional offer for primary teaching with maths @ the scarborough campus and have made it my firm choice. So would love to get to know other people who are going there!!!
oh goody! hull sounds like a decent place to live in...i wonder about my room in the student houses though...the uni's website shows the particular room i opted for as the VERY square-ish sort with maybe one window...sigh...was hoping for one with lotsa windows...room with a view...now that's living...hahaha

Malaysian @ Hull
Alvin
Reply 36
I'm off to Hull this coming Tuesday to prepare my student house!

Then I go properly in September to study English and creative writing, first year. I'm going straight into housing as I have a friend already there and my boyfriend too.

I am looking forward to it if only to play 'house'

Hull is a really nice place though. Like every city it's got its unsatisfactory areas but for the most part it is lovely! and not too far from the beach :biggrin:
Reply 37
You should request a forum.
sub forum.....W'hey

i'm gonig to hull btw, and its not all doom and gloom...you can always run away and jump in the Humber if you don't like the city, or are trying to escape the armed gangs or youths *wink* eh !
Reply 39
hull is ace!!! Hull sub forum now!! yey!!!

Latest