The Student Room Group

MySQA 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Anyone know when the Marking Schemes and Papers are uploaded?
this has been bothering me for a while; how do the SQA pick when the exams are? :biggrin:
Reply 162
Admin tomorrow , fairly confident!

Sam I have a querie.

Okay say if you got a C at Int 2 Maths which is a pass can you do higher ? Or is it up to the school?

^(personally immexpecting am A but it's a question that's always ran around in my mind)
Original post by mysqa
Hope it went okay for the scientists today. Tomorrow, two of my favourite languages, Spanish and Gaelic.

Hi Sam, I spoke to you before about my name not getting changed.

However, today I checked my sqa and since today it has been changed. Must have just been a delay :smile:
Original post by anthonyfl
Hi Sam, I spoke to you before about my name not getting changed.

However, today I checked my sqa and since today it has been changed. Must have just been a delay :smile:

That's great news. In fairness, it is quite a busy time of year for us, what with one thing and another. So there may indeed have been a delay. Glad it's sorted.
Original post by BigChimp
Admin tomorrow , fairly confident!

Sam I have a querie.

Okay say if you got a C at Int 2 Maths which is a pass can you do higher ? Or is it up to the school?

^(personally immexpecting am A but it's a question that's always ran around in my mind)

You would have to speak to your school - it's up to them who they put forward and that will be based on how they think you will do rather than how you have done so far.
Original post by mysqa
It's New Year and that can only mean one thing - counting down to the exams. Sorry, but you know it's true and you should be working by now.

My name is SAM and I'm here to help you with any questions you have about the SQA exams, and particularly to encourage you to sign up for the MySQA results service to get your results early by text or email.

I'll be putting up some study tips as well and generally doing what I can to make the whole ghastly business as painless for you as possible.

SAM:smile:

My candidate number is 060596247 :smile:

Hi Sam!

This isn't really about mysqa, but it's a very important issue for me.

One third of my standard grade graphic communication is a folio. Now I was off for a week with extremely bad flu (I can have a formal letter from the practice nurse verify this) so I missed my teacher's personal deadline. I am very passionate about my school work and I want to complete everything to the best of my ability. I spent both breaks and a full lunchtime on the day I came back to school finishing an item for the folio, because I was very concerned. I explained to the head of department that I had been off for five days ill and asked politely if I could see my folio to check it over and make sure all the work was there. He replied ath a rude remark saying I had missed the deadline and I didn't care about my work - this is untrue (he doesn't even teach me so he wouldn't know). My mum phoned the school and spoke to a depute, and after the head of department intimidating me, shouting at me and telling me to "shut up" because of this, I basically got nowhere. I didn't get to see my folio, and I didn't get to check it was complee. I was quietly informed by another technical teacher that he will send away an incomplete folio and let pupils get 7s for it. I don't even know what was meant to be in the folio, I have been researching it online and on the sqa's website for a long time, but it is quite confusing.

I checked the official sqa deadline (31st March) for folios and I still had weeks left to complete it (this was in mid-march).

I'm annoyed that something is being sent on my behalf which I'm unsure of. I don't know if the folio is complete, or quite frankly what work he has put into it. I really care about my grades so I'm just wondering what can be done about this! I'm a credit pupil so I don't want to have a folio full of grade 3 things which I haven't agreed to get sent away.

He also wouldn't tell me a grade for the folio (instead telling me to shut up and verbally abusing me when I was quiet and polite towards him) but happily told other pupils. I know you've been helpful in the past so I'm just wondering what can be done if I get a bad grade for the folio, and how I can find out if it is complete or not.

Thanks a million! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mysqa
x

in the Higher English Essay exam, will we be penalised for messy handwriting? mine is absolutely disastrous when I write fast, it's very loopy and all joined up meaning it's hard to read. All of my teachers have complained greatly throughout the year and I'm worried I'll be massively marked down because my marker will be annoyed :frown:
Original post by rawragee
in the Higher English Essay exam, will we be penalised for messy handwriting? mine is absolutely disastrous when I write fast, it's very loopy and all joined up meaning it's hard to read. All of my teachers have complained greatly throughout the year and I'm worried I'll be massively marked down because my marker will be annoyed :frown:

Ask for special arrangements to type your exam, thats what my friend gets for history and English because of his handwriting
Ask for special arrangements to type your exam, thats what my friend gets for history and English because of his handwriting

I was meant to be assessed for this, however my English teacher fell ill and was off for our last month of school so it never went through, no matter how hard I tried to talk to the department at school that sorts it and now I think it's too late! :s-smilie:
Reply 170
Original post by mysqa
It's New Year and that can only mean one thing - counting down to the exams. Sorry, but you know it's true and you should be working by now.

My name is SAM and I'm here to help you with any questions you have about the SQA exams, and particularly to encourage you to sign up for the MySQA results service to get your results early by text or email.

I'll be putting up some study tips as well and generally doing what I can to make the whole ghastly business as painless for you as possible.

SAM:smile:

How do they calculate the final grade in SG geography if you get a 1/2 or 3/4 etc?
Original post by rd700
How do they calculate the final grade in SG geography if you get a 1/2 or 3/4 etc?

They round up. So a 1:2 gets you a 1, a 3:2 gets you a 2, a 3:4 gets you a 3.
Reply 172
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
They round up. So a 1:2 gets you a 1, a 3:2 gets you a 2, a 3:4 gets you a 3.

okay thanks :smile:
Original post by nerd434
I hate when you get teachers like that, who don't even teach you yet make assumptions about what kind of student you are..

Yeah, he's got a terrible temper. On the surface he appears strict, but he's really just very rude unfortunately

You won't get penalised for messy handwriting provided that the marker can read what it says I'm guessing. It's an exam testing your use of language and knowledge of your texts, not how you shape your words :P

As long as it's legible, it will be marked. As I say every year, the markers want you to pass. So they'll do their level best to mark you on your knowledge. Of course, if your writing is is so bad it's indecipherable then you'll lose marks, but believe me you're unlikely to be the worst writer we see this year.
My candidate number is 060596247 :smile:

Hi Sam!

This isn't really about mysqa, but it's a very important issue for me.

One third of my standard grade graphic communication is a folio. Now I was off for a week with extremely bad flu (I can have a formal letter from the practice nurse verify this) so I missed my teacher's personal deadline. I am very passionate about my school work and I want to complete everything to the best of my ability. I spent both breaks and a full lunchtime on the day I came back to school finishing an item for the folio, because I was very concerned. I explained to the head of department that I had been off for five days ill and asked politely if I could see my folio to check it over and make sure all the work was there. He replied ath a rude remark saying I had missed the deadline and I didn't care about my work - this is untrue (he doesn't even teach me so he wouldn't know). My mum phoned the school and spoke to a depute, and after the head of department intimidating me, shouting at me and telling me to "shut up" because of this, I basically got nowhere. I didn't get to see my folio, and I didn't get to check it was complee. I was quietly informed by another technical teacher that he will send away an incomplete folio and let pupils get 7s for it. I don't even know what was meant to be in the folio, I have been researching it online and on the sqa's website for a long time, but it is quite confusing.

I checked the official sqa deadline (31st March) for folios and I still had weeks left to complete it (this was in mid-march).

I'm annoyed that something is being sent on my behalf which I'm unsure of. I don't know if the folio is complete, or quite frankly what work he has put into it. I really care about my grades so I'm just wondering what can be done about this! I'm a credit pupil so I don't want to have a folio full of grade 3 things which I haven't agreed to get sent away.

He also wouldn't tell me a grade for the folio (instead telling me to shut up and verbally abusing me when I was quiet and polite towards him) but happily told other pupils. I know you've been helpful in the past so I'm just wondering what can be done if I get a bad grade for the folio, and how I can find out if it is complete or not.

Thanks a million! :smile:

Hi

Sorry for not getting back to you. To be honest, there isn't an awful lot we can do about this - we can only mark the materials we are given, and I don't think we can check whether folios are complete at this stage - really that is the responsibility of your teacher and your school. If you feel your teacher has let you down in this regard then you have to take it up with your school.

The only hope I can offer is that if it comes to an appeal then your doctor's note about having flu could help. Having said that, that argument is undermined a bit if you sent your folio in early.

I've passed your question on to a higher authority, but I suspect they are going to come back and say you have to take the matter up with the school. I will keep you informed though!

Fingers crossed! :rolleyes:
Hi Sam

Im on MySQA just now, but it isn't letting me view the units on the results page, why is this? :smile:
Original post by mysqa
Hi

Sorry for not getting back to you. To be honest, there isn't an awful lot we can do about this - we can only mark the materials we are given, and I don't think we can check whether folios are complete at this stage - really that is the responsibility of your teacher and your school. If you feel your teacher has let you down in this regard then you have to take it up with your school.

The only hope I can offer is that if it comes to an appeal then your doctor's note about having flu could help. Having said that, that argument is undermined a bit if you sent your folio in early.

I've passed your question on to a higher authority, but I suspect they are going to come back and say you have to take the matter up with the school. I will keep you informed though!

Fingers crossed! :rolleyes:

Thanks! :smile: my teacher still had the folios on the day I came back. He just refused to give me it. I take it that it's possible to appeal for folios then? :biggrin:
Had a good break? Today it's back top the action for Geographers and Philosophers. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending