The Student Room Group

Imperial Vs Durham

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Martik
Heya, got offers from Imperial and Durham for physics, but both have pro's and cons, and not too sure where would be better for me, both academically and socially.
I'm sure there has been a thread like this before by students in a similar predicament, but I was just wondering..
So what I've gathered so far..

Imperial:
- Academically has the slight edge
- Great physics course structure that really appealed to me
- More advantageous for me to get a job in physics or other problem solving careers
- I get shedloads of grants since I live in the North and won't have much money to support living in London
- In a fun city with much to do
- On par with oxbridge and in a league of its own
But
- Ages away from my home, so friends and family will be scarcely seen
- Buying a flat after the first year is a nightmare
- Full of introverts who probably won't be interested in coming out with me when I'm done with work and stuff so wouldn't have anyone to explore the city with
- Not many girls in either physics (naturally) or in the uni as a whole
- Racially overwhelmed with Asians who stick within their own groups and are unsociable

Durham:
- Beautiful place to be and lovely old cobbleroads near the castle college (the college where my offer is from)
- Traditional University
- Near my home (Scarborough)
- Collegiate (get to know a small amount of people)
- Cheap to live in
- More likely to have people who are up for some fun.
But
- Heard the physics department isn't fantastic and teaching isn't as good as Imperial
- Isn't as good for Jobs in physics
- Quite full of oxbridge rejects quabbling about their failed interviews
- In the Not-quite-as-good-as-oxbridge league

Please correct me if I'm wrong in any of these areas.
I want to get the best education I can, but can't be bothered to be around the typical "geeks" all the time since I'm not that sort of person, more of a fun-loving and sociable guy.
Any people who do Physics at either Uni shed some light on my situation, I'd love to know how each Uni is and what your experience of the education and social life is.

Cheers for your help.

Martik.

Where did you pick in the end?
Reply 21
I am currently studying at durham, the place to be is imperial. They are a better university, more well known, have greater access to the prestigious jobs (but it comes down to you at the assessment centres). The only reason you would pick imperial over durham is cost. Whatever is said about Durham and how historic it is, durham is so small and you soon get quite bored and the place just begins to look ordinary.
Original post by balrajs
I am currently studying at durham, the place to be is imperial. They are a better university, more well known, have greater access to the prestigious jobs (but it comes down to you at the assessment centres). The only reason you would pick imperial over durham is cost. Whatever is said about Durham and how historic it is, durham is so small and you soon get quite bored and the place just begins to look ordinary.

Is it really that bad?
Durham is really for Oxbridge rejects l0l.

Imagine someone having offers from Oxford and Durham, they'd pick Oxford 100% of the time because Durham is just a bad version of Oxford. You can't say the same about Imperial, they might even consider firming Imperial (like me, :P) => Imperial is better just for being different :P
Original post by vedderfan94
Check The Times Good University Guide for 2012. For Physics, Glasgow ranks 8th and Imperial ranks 12th. What a joke :lol:

I'm really sick of the rubbishing of league tables. Its like the people that say IQ tests have absolutely 0 use! League tables are obviously not perfect, and are clearly used way too much by those with inferiority complexes, but they use well defined quantitative methodology which is infinitely superior than a vague subjective sense of prestige. And given that this is a physics thread, we are interested in everything quantitative!
Imperial!!
Reply 26
My boyfriend did his undergrad at Durham and his PhD at Imperial. Both were fantastic, and have set him up for life really well. For undergrad, it is a personal choice based on which type of lifestyle you want to lead - traditional, with gowns in a small town, or city life in the capital.
Reply 27
Original post by chem@uni
Is it really that bad?

No. I was never bored at Durham and miss it very much. It is a personal lifestyle choice based on what your interests are in terms of social life.
What did you end up choosing OP @martik
Reading this thread 9 years later whilst currently deciding whether to go with either Durham or Imperial, and this has only worsened my confusion on which one to apply to.... XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending