The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by apotoftea
I remember being like that - saw it as a means to an end. Plus given I had zero supervision during my MA, I just couldn't care less at times :hugs:

-------------------------------------------

So I have a week to write 3000 words - that's absolutely fine. But it's the first thing I've written since my MA thesis (which really is bad having dug it out and re-read it) so I don't know what to start about getting words on a page. Am also highly aware (and as supe pointed out) it's my first piece of written work. Any tips/suggestions before I cry?

I know the feeling...I'm a terrible writing but have to produce between 2000-5000 words a week on average. I would say...just go for it. My writing is never going to be spectacular, especially not in a week, but your supervisor is going to be aware of that, right?

Saying that this is for a masters, pretty sure the level is much higher for a PhD. Take a few minutes to calm and just do it.
Reply 901
Original post by The Lyceum
I know the feeling...I'm a terrible writing but have to produce between 2000-5000 words a week on average. I would say...just go for it. My writing is never going to be spectacular, especially not in a week, but your supervisor is going to be aware of that, right?

Saying that this is for a masters, pretty sure the level is much higher for a PhD. Take a few minutes to calm and just do it.

Supe doesn't appear to be expecting much but you know, first impressions and all that :s-smilie:
Original post by Cora Lindsay
You need to get a sense of proportion I think. It's a bar job- he offered you a short notice trial shift and, on reflection, you've declined. From the sound of it, that's the right decision for a whole bunch of what look like good reasons, so park it and move on. Do you really think the owner will be fretting about you turning the offer down?

Not when you put it like that. The context is just a bit embarrassing though, because I have asked him for a job a couple of times (while drunk), and even did so this week. It's just another reminder of why I need to stop drinking - I say stupid things and get into awkward situations.
Soup doesn't appear to be expecting much but you know, first impressions and all that :s-smilie:

Beware the minestrone.
Reply 904
So I have a week to write 3000 words - that's absolutely fine. But it's the first thing I've written since my MA thesis (which really is bad having dug it out and re-read it) so I don't know what to start about getting words on a page. Am also highly aware (and as supe pointed out) it's my first piece of written work. Any tips/suggestions before I cry?

Just start writing and don't fret about it too much. It may well end up being one of the weakest pieces you'll produce during your PhD, and it's unlikely to become part of your thesis (not as it stands, anyway), but your supervisor probably knows that too and isn't expecting an awful lot from it. The main point is that it will help you to get back into writing, and it will do that even if it's not quite up to scratch.:smile:
Original post by the_alba
It's just another reminder of why I need to stop drinking - I say stupid things and get into awkward situations.

You and me both...
Reply 906
Original post by hobnob
Just start writing and don't fret about it too much. It may well end up being one of the weakest pieces you'll produce during your PhD, and it's unlikely to become part of your thesis (not as it stands, anyway), but your supervisor probably knows that too and isn't expecting an awful lot from it. The main point is that it will help you to get back into writing, and it will do that even if it's not quite up to scratch.:smile:

Thank you :smile: It's only a tiny piece anyway so I really shouldn't be worrying!
Reply 907
Back in the UK and desperately want to just sleep and chill and tidy and laundry. Unfortunately instead I have rehearsals pretty much non stop today from 9:45 until 7, part of which I'm gonna have to skip in order to drive to get the guinea pigs 10 miles or so away. Sad tired Cirsium is sad and tired :sad:
This does not look as if it is going to be a good day...
Reply 909
Trying to write 300 words on why my research on an alien culture from the best part of 3000 years ago is relevant today.

Was that for that Ertegun thing? I had a look at that and realised that I don't think my proposed research is relevant or useful in any way, and I can't even come up with any arguments that might sound convincing even though I don't believe them. So in the end I didn't bother.
Original post by QHF
Was that for that Ertegun thing? I had a look at that and realised that I don't think my proposed research is relevant or useful in any way, and I can't even come up with any arguments that might sound convincing even though I don't believe them. So in the end I didn't bother.

Yes. Well I'm cheeky and horribly good and convincing people so...I gave it a shot. I feel a bit...sick considering I had to advocate a position which I despise from the bottom of my heart but....if I get cash I can forgive myself.

I will be an academic. I will be a dark queen king more powerful than before. Or whatever I haven't read the Fellowship of the Ring in ages...
Meh. Once the PhD is over, which it is, and has been for two months, it is *really bloody hard* to summon the will to reopen the document. I need to polish it and send it off to a publisher. The publisher is waiting to see it. I'm totally paralysed! #fatigueanddisgust

(And I have a sore arm from playing Bubble Island for ages on facebook. Just to let you know where my priorities apparently lie!)
Meh. Once the PhD is over, which it is, and has been for two months, it is *really bloody hard* to summon the will to reopen the document. I need to polish it and send it off to a publisher. The publisher is waiting to see it. I'm totally paralysed! #fatigueanddisgust

(And I have a sore arm from playing Bubble Island for ages on facebook. Just to let you know where my priorities apparently lie!)

ive lost stupid hours of my life to that fecking game.

It's more...I don't know some of these things...it's not that they're not interesting but it's just...not the way I see my thesis going. I understand my supe is very enthusiastic and everything; his suggestions for readings, arranging meetings with academics etc etc are helpful but I feel as if I'm not 100% in control of how this is developing, you know?
This is the number 1 most frequent complaint I hear from people regarding their supervisors. The answer is to nod and smile, and then send your dissertation the way that you want it to go. If they come up with a suggestion, make a show of thinking about it, but don't feel that you have to agree with them or implement their idea. If you write your idea well enough they'll get it in the end after you've developed your thesis enough.

I don't know whether to assert my own direction or simply see how things develop. I'm also having a hard time caring about my thesis, this is bad right? :frown: I know I should....but...I don't think anything is going to top last term when it comes to interest.
I hated mine.

In other news btw all this anthropology/sociology kind of stuff is actually kicking me about a bit.

What does 'kicking you about' mean?
Thanks :smile: I think you're right, it was a bit presumptuous of him to think I could drop everything a couple of hours before my first 'shift'. So relieved I said no to be honest: the thought of heading down there to work until the small hours makes me shudder. Instead I've cooked us a nice meal and am now settling down to some gentle reading :smile:

Good.

I have today to write 10 000 words :facepalm:

Its the same with my MPhil :frown: Once I've finished this 10,000 piece I need to reread it and shorten it for publication :afraid: I'd prefer to forget that it existed!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Craghyrax
Its the same with my MPhil :frown: Once I've finished this 10,000 piece I need to reread it and shorten it for publication :afraid: I'd prefer to forget that it existed!

I was like that with my MSt dissertation, but now I'm just indifferent towards it (never intended to publish it though). Maybe in a few years I'll be indifferent to the inadequacies of my PhD thesis, but that doesn't help me right now... *shame* How much do you have to cut? One reason I've never published an article out of my thesis is that the chapters are so long, cutting them into articles would be too much work and annoyance.

Does anyone who knows about computers know what it means if one's computer refuses to shut down? When I tell it to, nothing happens. I think it has a virus (because when I leave it open, a weird screensaver of random videos appears) but I'm not sure what to do about this. I can't afford proper anti-virus software and my free McAfee trial expired (and also didn't seem to help). I'm totally clueless :redface:
I was like that with my MSt dissertation, but now I'm just indifferent towards it (never intended to publish it though). Maybe in a few years I'll be indifferent to the inadequacies of my PhD thesis, but that doesn't help me right now... *shame* How much do you have to cut? One reason I've never published an article out of my thesis is that the chapters are so long, cutting them into articles would be too much work and annoyance.

Does anyone who knows about computers know what it means if one's computer refuses to shut down? When I tell it to, nothing happens. I think it has a virus (because when I leave it open, a weird screensaver of random videos appears) but I'm not sure what to do about this. I can't afford proper anti-virus software and my free McAfee trial expired (and also didn't seem to help). I'm totally clueless :redface:

You could try AVG and see if that clears away what you suspect to be a virus? http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

As for publishing, writing books is almost too much hassle. Am almost finished and the thing is due out in a few months but it has taken almost daily concentration on it for the last 8 months. I'm worn out and almost welcome unemployment if only to recharge the batteries and turn my attention to publishing my PhD.

The thesis is 20,000 words and a standard article 8,000. However the reason I plan to convert it is because I don't think it should be that much of a problem (in theory). To begin with, I had three different themes in the data I elicited, and I only want to use one of those themes for the article, which will rid me of two sections of lit review, two sections of argumentation/discussion etc. And furthermore I think a lot of the thesis is crap, and it would therefore not be difficult to be brutal with it and chop out quite a lot. I'm much better at shorter pieces (I sincerely hope because I need more practice with lengthy work), so I think I can substantially improve it by shortening it.

All computers forcibly shut down if you hold the power button down for ten seconds, apparently. You might have to do that.
Reply 917

If you run Windows you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for free. Don't forcibly shut down before you run some anti virus in case it doesn't turn back on!!
Reply 918
Original post by Craghyrax
All computers forcibly shut down if you hold the power button down for ten seconds, apparently. You might have to do that.

In the good old days, computers had on/off switches. So if you had to forcibly shut down your computer you only had to flick a switch instead of having to keep pressing some stupid button for ages while cursing under your breath.:mad:
Original post by hobnob
In the good old days, computers had on/off switches. So if you had to forcibly shut down your computer you only had to flick a switch instead of having to keep pressing some stupid button for ages while cursing under your breath.:mad:

Sure did:

Latest

Trending

Trending