At least Ricicles are nice.
Reply 1583
Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi
:no:

At least Ricicles are nice.

As in those sugar coated rice crispies?
Original post by apotoftea

That reminds me: I should really make chocolate Easter nests sometime soon :biggrin:

Aye. I never got on with cocopops but ricicles are grrrreat!
Reply 1586
Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi
Aye. I never got on with cocopops but ricicles are grrrreat!

I was only ever allowed them when they came in the mini 8 pack of mixed cereals. Too bad for my teeth :frown:

This is some serious god damn cereal guys.

Obviously!
Reply 1589
Yo! Goldsmiths question for you - what's the local area like? Not an area of London I know and have been asked by a friend whether I'd recommend it as a uni choice for her daughter.

Any info greatly appreciated :smile:

New Cross itself isn't the nicest of areas, but it has character and life. It's also near enough to live in Greenwich (which is both nice and has character/life) or Rotherhithe (which is nice and/but mostly just houses, making it devoid of life but very quiet).

As a student one of the big bonuses is the area's very cheap, vastly so when compared to Imperial, LSE or UCL being in the centre, and even quite a bit cheaper than being near Bow for QMUL.
"Was is really necessary to post such a huge image of that cereal box?" whispered the GOGsoc as they all lay sat there trembling, their collective eyes filled with the majestic majesty of the Lion Bar(tm) cereal box. Its very size cast a mighty, majestic, shadow which caused them to tremble as they whispered these things.

Captain-Admiral-General Lyceum McBadass stops slowly and raises his majestic head, tipping back his cowboy stetson hat and exhudes a soft trembling sigh as he steps down from his horse, Charger Horsey von Inyourfacion. A moment passes as he turns to face them, a momentous, majestic, moment. He fixes them in his eyes and whispers "Yes".

The truth affirmed GOGSoc exults majestically, throwing themselves into trembling tremendous tremulous dances beneath the mighty cereal box. For they saw it, and they were in awe. Captain-Admiral-General Lyceum McBadass gets back on Charger Horsey von Inyourfacion and rides off majestically into the sunset, off towards Kitchenaria to finally unite the milk with the Lion Bar cereal one more time.

Cool music plays.

FIN.
Everything and everyone at your story is majestic? Haha
Original post by Craghyrax
I have no idea of the context in which he wrote that, but can't you guess why I'd disagree? :wink: I take 'people with no conviction' to be people pleasing types who go with the flow and are superficial, with passionate types to be people who stick to their guns, think about things and care about them, etc. The former category are probably the sorts I get on with least in life. I wouldn't say that all my close friends are obviously 'passionate', but they are people who think about things deeply and care about stuff, and aren't just social chameleons even if their personality is reasonably laid back, or if they're reserved in how that comes across. I definitely wouldn't place you in the former category either, so I'm surprised you agree with him.

That's not quite what he meant, though I can see how you'd reach that conclusion without a context. The context is an apocalyptic vision of an enlightenment that has run itself into the ground and exhausted itself, and how, in desperate circumstances, inherently 'good' people (by whatever terms you fancy, but in my HE English analogy, gifted scholars with genuine integrity and standards), have lost conviction (and capital) in a system dominated by the 'worst' (in my analogy, genuinely unscrupulous career academics) who, being full of 'passionate intensity', channel their energies into furthering their own interests and causing a great deal of harm in the process.

The UK. One of my Uncle's manages National Trust land in Shropshire, and some more distant family runs National Trust land somewhere near Oxford.

I actually spoke to my Uncle a year or two ago when another friend was interested in jobs and he said that these days people are getting into the sector through unpaid internships :sad: So I suppose its likely you'd have to have a part time job and sponsor your way like that.

[...] I was debating whether or not to mention it to the_alba, but on balance I decided that it could be helpful. All I offered was to introduce her to some friendly nice people who would be able to give advice and information. Obviously she'll probably manage to get all of that herself just by research, but it doesn't hurt having friendly people in the area to speak to :dontknow:

If it wouldn’t bother him too much, it would be useful to ask a questions or two by email but only if it’s no bother. I’ve been writing to all sorts of people, but am getting either pat responses (‘see our website’), or things along the lines of ‘I can’t really advise you, as everyone is different’). It’s a bit frustrating!

I’m aware of the unpaid volunteering thing, and am willing to do that for as long as it takes. They tend to have free accommodation (unlike unpaid internships in journalism!), so I can live on the pennies I make from my freelance writing as long as I can stay for free. To be honest, it would be an immense relief and I don’t care about the money. The idea that I don’t *have* to be an academic if I don’t want to, and that I now probably won’t be, has done wonders for my state of mind in the last few days. Today I felt like reading Romantic poetry spontaneously for the first time in months, and I was able to read an acquaintance’s facebook status update about how he’s just won a library fellowship to Harvard without feeling a) like a failure or b) angry. Freedom!
Original post by sj27
It's a pretty accurate description of far too many political situations (the Tea Party springs to mind). I love Yeats, and that is probably my favourite poem ever. (btw I'm not sure if I ever mentioned - I looked up the Beckett poem your username comes from - it's wonderful.)

Thanks :smile: Beckett is terribly underrated as a poet. As yes, the Tea Party movement fits the Yeats poem disturbingly well...
Reply 1594
Original post by Drogue
New Cross itself isn't the nicest of areas, but it has character and life. It's also near enough to live in Greenwich (which is both nice and has character/life) or Rotherhithe (which is nice and/but mostly just houses, making it devoid of life but very quiet).

As a student one of the big bonuses is the area's very cheap, vastly so when compared to Imperial, LSE or UCL being in the centre, and even quite a bit cheaper than being near Bow for QMUL.

Thank you, shall pass info on :smile:
Thank you, shall pass info on :smile:

hey, I wanted to ask you, I am currently applying to RHUL because they have a professor with whom I would really like to work. However, The Lyceum says that it's a bad choice and that the university is not very good because of lack of funding etc etc...What is your opinion? I know you did your masters there. Do you think it's a bad place to do a PhD?
Reply 1596
Original post by *Corinna*
hey, I wanted to ask you, I am currently applying to RHUL because they have a professor with whom I would really like to work. However, The Lyceum says that it's a bad choice and that the university is not very good because of lack of funding etc etc...What is your opinion? I know you did your masters there. Do you think it's a bad place to do a PhD?

Urgh, I'm so torn about RHUL I really am. Said friend's daughter who I was asking about Goldsmiths for is interested in RHUL and I really don't know. I did indeed spend a year there after spending 3 fantastic years at a post 92 so take my opinion as you wish really.

Academically wise, it really isn't as good as it could/should be. The libraries are crap both in terms of working areas and what they carry, or not carry as the case may be. I felt like I'd gone back a year on my MA but that could just be the course I did/department. And the English MA students I was living with said the same about academic level and lack of books in their department. (The scientists and business/management lot had no complaints at all). I also found a lot of egos were influencing what was happening, instead of looking at the bigger picture, ie the students and their opinion.

It's a lovely campus with decent halls and has a good feel to it. Egham's alright I guess, small commuter town really but you've got Windsor 15mins up the road and 40mins to Waterloo by train. Also a relatively easy commute to Oxford. Frustrating though as they forgot the postgrads were on campus over the summer so everything was shut :rolleyes: I loved the social and living side, hated the academic side.

I guess if you were living elsewhere (so access to books was 10 x better) and the supervisor was prolific enough in your field to make a difference, it could potentially be a good choice.

What I will say is that the little money the uni has is being ploughed into the international side of things (that could be a benefit, maybe not), and they're merging departments left, right and centre, including Classics. There was a sense of worry when I was there with regard to its future, especially as the London collegiate is getting smaller. And as a side point and I don't know if it even matters/don't particularly want to get into any form of debate but it is now the only big London uni not to be part of the Russell group (I'm not counting the small other institutes here, ie my own!)...

Mary Beard wrote a couple of interesting blogs over the Classics department at RHUL which are worth a read:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2011/06/classics-at-royal-holloway-under-threat.html

http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2011/06/royal-holloway-update.html
(edited 12 years ago)
Urgh, I'm so torn about RHUL I really am. Said friend's daughter who I was asking about Goldsmiths for is interested in RHUL and I really don't know. I did indeed spend a year there after spending 3 fantastic years at a post 92 so take my opinion as you wish really.

Academically wise, it really isn't as good as it could/should be. The libraries are crap both in terms of working areas and what they carry, or not carry as the case may be. I felt like I'd gone back a year on my MA but that could just be the course I did/department. And the English MA students I was living with said the same about academic level and lack of books in their department. (The scientists and business/management lot had no complaints at all). I also found a lot of egos were influencing what was happening, instead of looking at the bigger picture, ie the students and their opinion.

It's a lovely campus with decent halls and has a good feel to it. Egham's alright I guess, small commuter town really but you've got Windsor 15mins up the road and 40mins to Waterloo by train. Also a relatively easy commute to Oxford. Frustrating though as they forgot the postgrads were on campus over the summer so everything was shut :rolleyes: I loved the social and living side, hated the academic side.

I guess if you were living elsewhere (so access to books was 10 x better) and the supervisor was prolific enough in your field to make a difference, it could potentially be a good choice.

What I will say is that the little money the uni has is being ploughed into the international side of things (that could be a benefit, maybe not), and they're merging departments left, right and centre, including Classics. There was a sense of worry when I was there with regard to its future, especially as the London collegiate is getting smaller. And as a side point and I don't know if it even matters/don't particularly want to get into any form of debate but it is now the only big London uni not to be part of the Russell group (I'm not counting the small other institutes here, ie my own!)...

Mary Beard wrote a couple of interesting blogs over the Classics department at RHUL which are worth a read:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2011/06/classics-at-royal-holloway-under-threat.html

http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2011/06/royal-holloway-update.html

yes, I know the whole issue of the department etc...I guess my question would be: funded place at RHUL or no PhD at all? Obviously, if I had a funded opportunity from say Oxford or Cambridge, I'd rather stay there (even though I honestly would love to work with this supervisor...but of course Oxbridge would offer better opportunities academically in general)
I know I should wait to see what will happen with funding first before I start asking people for opinions, but I can't help but think that maybe if I dont get funding from Oxbridge I should take a gap year and re apply, and also apply to the US.
Reply 1598
Original post by *Corinna*
yes, I know the whole issue of the department etc...I guess my question would be: funded place at RHUL or no PhD at all? Obviously, if I had a funded opportunity from say Oxford or Cambridge, I'd rather stay there (even though I honestly would love to work with this supervisor...but of course Oxbridge would offer better opportunities academically in general)
I know I should wait to see what will happen with funding first before I start asking people for opinions, but I can't help but think that maybe if I dont get funding from Oxbridge I should take a gap year and re apply, and also apply to the US.

Well I had the same thoughts when I was applying first time round, and quickly realised there were better unis out there for all round better PhD experiences. Obviously a funded PhD is better than none at all, but think very carefully about RHUL, especially coming from Oxford and having decent access to books et al.
Well I had the same thoughts when I was applying first time round, and quickly realised there were better unis out there for all round better PhD experiences. Obviously a funded PhD is better than none at all, but think very carefully about RHUL, especially coming from Oxford and having decent access to books et al.

Take the money and run.

Latest

Trending

Trending